Contest Scheduling

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Spongey
Merchant

Contest Scheduling

Post by Spongey »

It's obvious that, over the past few months, some members have been discussing having contests, and this has added a lot of clutter and confusion to the site. I recommend creating a schedule where the admins can pencil in a few contests a year. I know that they were planning on an automated calendar at one point, but this would probably be too much work to maintain.
Members who want to hold contests could do so on a rotational basis annually. Also, we could set aside a couple of periods a year that would be contest free, since over-cluttering with contests can become a problem.

To sum up my idea, this schedule could be as simply implemented as this:

November-December: CCC

January-February: Break Period

March-April: Contest #1

May-June: Break Period

July-August: Contest #2

September: Break Period

October: Contest #3

Please consider this idea, members and admins, and post with any feedback.
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

I don't really know whether this is a good idea or not; seems to be, though. Anyway, the reason I'm posting is to say that Josh (usually) has the Battle contest early in the year, so there's your No. 1; and Robin Hood has had the Mini Castle Contest a couple of times in September-October (I know you probably knew this already, but anyway...). So, that would leave only one slot for every other member-hosted contest... And that might not go over too well. But I'm sure something'll be worked out. Maybe.

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

So, that would leave only one slot for every other member-hosted contest... And that might not go over too well.
This is the case unfortunately. However, it seems that many people are worried about too many contests, and this needs to be addressed, even if it's at the expense of holding more than one new contest a year.
Knight David
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by Knight David »

I think this a good idea!!!

keep it up,
David
R_The_Falcon
Freeman

Post by R_The_Falcon »

I think this is a good idea. We all want people to build great Castle Mocs. Although contests can encourage people to build good Mocs (prizes and glory), it can also limit them (guidelines to follow, and deadlines.) The common phrase "art should never be rushed," seems to come to mind. I agree that we could be having too many contests, and this looks like it'll clear things up. That being said, the schedule could probably use some work.

I'd personally change #3 contest to September, and make October a break period. I think we should have fresh minds when entering CCC, and having a contest in October will not allow that.

So there's my 2 cents worth!
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

I think it's a great idea. This will allow people to know when a contest is to be held without having to check the website. I agree with you Spongey, there are too many contests, a shedule needs to be set down to give builders time to build ,obviously, and to have a break after a contest.
Emp.Justinian
Archer

Post by Emp.Justinian »

I think that his is definately a good idea. I however think that it would probably work out better if wile a contest period lasts two months a break period could last one, or one and a half. As someone pointed out their would only be room for a couple contests a year which might make some people who want to do simple contests unhappy. I also agree that october should be free, unless a seasonal halloween contest was to accur.

God speed

Emp.Justinian
Support the true king, Support SavaTheAggie!

A proud member of the Legion of Aggie

I Pledge Allegiance to SavaTheAggie
and to the empire for which it rules
one Empire under One Admin
invincible, with tyranny and injustice for all.