Help: Login hassles

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Help: Login hassles

Post by footsteps »

Hi,

I'm experiencing annoyances when trying to log in.

I come to the site, click on the "Log in" link just under the masthead, and enter my id and pw.

Then I go to a forum to post a reply, and the first thing I'm told to do is log in!!!! I enter the same id and pw, and them I'm allowed to post.

So, what am I doing wrong? Why doesn't my initial login count?

Alan
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Alan,

Troy and Anthony usually work on the forums. I have noticed this problem as well. Usually I just log in again and it works. I dont know why this happens.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
CC Sets Admin
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

This happened to me the first few times I logged in to...Then it stopped. Go figure :?
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

I think u have to click "Log me in automaticly each visit" That worked for me.
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

I experience a similar problem. Each time I go come to post here, the first time I click "reply" or "new" I am brought back to the forums index. Only then do the colored threads indicating the new posts appear, and only then am I able to hit the reply and new buttons and actually be able to post. It stays fine until the next time I come to post at CC.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I do not have much knowledge in the actual code of the forums, but I have been reading up on it. I'm no expert, what I am about to say is merely what I've read in the forum documentation.

Apparently this is a known bug with all phpBB forums. The problem seems to occour with your Internet Provider.

You see, a few Internet Providers, most notably AOL, have a floating IP address for their users as a security device. I would assume by floating the IP address, meaning changing the IP address of the user randomly, you prevent hackers from pinpointing any one user for very long.

Unfortunately, because of this the Classic-Castle server has a problem with verifying the user, and thinks of the change in IP as a security issue, logging off the individual so as not to allow for identity theft in posting (something that happened at Lugnet once upon a time).

There seems to be a fix, but I don't think it's one of those make everything better fixes, more like a might make things a little better fixes, and Troy has probably already tried the fix (he's away right now so I can't talk with or for him).

My suggestion, as has already been stated, is allow the Classic-Castle server to remember you, storing a cookie on your machine, so the server can recognize you.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

SavaTheAggie wrote:Apparently this is a known bug with all phpBB forums. The problem seems to occour with your Internet Provider.
--Anthony
I'm rather surprised that this thread came back to current. Glad to know people are still thinking about this.

I'm not sure that my "problem" can be placed at the feet of my ISP (not AOL, BTW).

Here's a detailed description of how I was able to post this message:

1- browsed to the C-C.com site
2- clicked on Forum Index
3- clicked on Administrative
4- clicked on "Help: Login Hassles"
5- read Sava's message and decided to reply
6- went to the masthead and entered my info in the appropriate boxes
7- found myself back at the Forum Index (huh?)
8- clicked on Administrative (footer stated that I cannot post)
9- clicked on "Help: Login Hassles"
10- clicked on the quotation symbol on Sava's message
11- re-entered my login info on the page that appeared
12- found myself back at the Forum Index again :shock:
13- clicked on Administrative (footer stated that I can post)
14- clicked on "Help: Login Hassles"
15- clicked on the quotation symbol on Sava's message
16- you are now reading the result :)

So, logging in via the masthead doesn't seem to work. Logging in via the quotation symbol of a posted message works, but it is a tad annoying to be booted back out to the Forum Index, meaning that I have to click all the way back to the message I want to reply to.

Anyway, that's the hassle. In the grand scheme of things it isn't a deal-breaker, and I'm the first to admit that I haven't a clue how to construct a site like this, so I want all the admins to know that I really like this site!!!! I will continue to post, hassles or no hassles.

Thanks for bearing with me this far.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)