Waiting for Forum Upgrade

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
mrkovach
Apprentice

Waiting for Forum Upgrade

Post by mrkovach »

Admins, please correct me if this is the wrong place to post this, but, here goes;

I'm sure you are all anticipating, like me, the new forum upgrades.
Here, why don't you consider what the pros and cons of this new forum might be. Discuss if and how this will be beneficial for the site.
Oh, and by the way, while you countdown the time until the forum, enjoy some tunes!
^You should be more concerned with what's written above^
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

The only anticipated cons to the upgrade would be if the upgrade failed. The whole reason we are upgrading is to curb the security flaws contained within the old code. PHPBB3 seems to be superior to PHPBB2 in every respect.

A few of the new features, as I interpret them, include:

The culling of the memberlist of those members with 0 posts (deleting spam users).

Adding special and custom text entries to the sign up form to help further weed out spammers.

Temporary banishment with a set time table.

Automated post reporting.

Greater determination of what Admins and Mods are able to do, going so far as to create different types of each (like an Admin who's only job is to approve new members).

The ability to not only split topics (as we can do now) but merge topics as well.

The ability to quote multiple posts at once, instead of having to do it manually, so you can reply to many people in a single post quickly.

More elaborate polls.

We could allow the attachment of files to posts, but we will disable this.

Subforums (though I don't know if we'll actually use them). One possibility might be a subforum to contain all set reviews inside the LEGO Castle Sets forum.

There's a lot more, and everything will need to be discussed as to what we'll turn on and what we'll turn off.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.