Come on people!

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Come on people!

Post by Dragon Master »

This is a thread in response to the nonsense posts all over the forum, especially on the moc and castle pages. There are way to many posts that just say "looks good" or "good job" or "nice set" There are no comments that help the builder with their mocs. Although simple praise is always appreciated, it is much better when you give praise for specific details, and tell why you like the creation. Maybe there should be a required amount of words per post?

Just some ideas,

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

While I know that I am guilty of this too, I do try to keep my wording original, or include a specific reason for liking it.

Which isn't my point. My point is that if we all tried to only critique, the builder would feel like he'd been doing things wrong, not right, and since a lot of us might not be able to think of anything to critique, the number of replies would be down, and the builder would feel like no one had looked at his MOC.

We can try to be a little more specific, I agree, but let's not overdo it.

EDITED FOR SPELLING
Last edited by Formendacil on Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Formendacil wrote: Which isn't my point. My point is that if we all tried to only critique, the builder would feel like he'd been doing things wrong, not right...
A good critque does not simply point out what's wrong with a presentation, it also points out what is right. Tell people why you like it, or what specific part you find well done: technique, clever use of parts, color, theme, humor, mood, originality, etc. It helps to know what was done right in addition to knowing what could use some more work.

I try to refrain from mere "'Attaboy!" responses and add something to the conversation. There are many times I realized that I wasn't really adding anything and I simply stopped typing and didn't post the message.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

TwoTonic Knight wrote:A good critque does not simply point out what's wrong with a presentation, it also points out what is right. Tell people why you like it, or what specific part you find well done: technique, clever use of parts, color, theme, humor, mood, originality, etc. It helps to know what was done right in addition to knowing what could use some more work.
Except that many of us (I don't think I'm including myself here) are as talented at saying what, specifically, catches their attention. All they can say is that they like it. (That, or they're too lazy to find a better way, but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.)

Hopefully, even if I'm not good at making suggestions for improvement, I'm not half-bad at saying what I DO like. Of course, it easier to judge that, I suppose, from a perspective other than my own.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

When considering whether or not to post one of the "Great Job!" posts, we must consider, have the other posts already said all the things you would like to say? If they have, then a "Great Job" type post is appropriate, you want to tell the builder you saw their creation and you liked it. Adding "As other people have already said, I liked the..." type posts are also appropriate.

One of the problems with Lugnet was that few MOCs were commented on. You would take the time to post a MOC there and get maybe 2 or 3 responses. I'd rather see a "Ditto", or "Nice work!" post than no responses at all.

People post MOCs because they want attention, they would probably rather see 15 - 20 responses to their MOC, than 3 or 4 detailed critiques.

Don't get me wrong, detailed critiques are great and I like to do them myself if other people haven't already covered it, but I will post an occasional "Great job!..." type post just to let them know I like the MOC. We don't always have time to do detailed critiques, but I am sure most builders like to see the smaller posts as well.

Now there are some threads that have more than pointless posting that have little to do with the MOCs being presented or are in the wrong forums, thse are the type of posts we need to reduce.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I think that most posts should try to be constructive criticism of moc's. So say the good and bad of a creation and then back up with reasons if possible. It is true that sometimes almost everthing has been said about a moc. On the other hand, many times people say "good job" etc and they are the first or second person to respond. CC members, for the most part, can decide if they want intelligent conversations about castle or if they want to get off topic.

I think off topic posts are more of a problem than atta-boy posts. Admins will try to split posts, but if a new topic comes up, it would be best to start a new thread for it. It is a fine line to be in between a lugnet (more serious) type of discussion and fbtb (less serious) discussion. For the most part, I think CC members do a good job of this :wink:

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

While "attaboy" responses aren't worth a lot (there was a guy on another forum who would post a one-word "Sweet!" to just about every announcement), it is nice to know that a creation hasn't gone totally unseen. Especially with newer forum members it is very welcoming to respond, even if you don't have a ton of detailed analysis.

Bruce
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Sometimes a simple "Good job" is nice to hear. Obviously, if you get too many like that, you start to wonder if people are really looking, but I wouldn't call a post like that pointless.
Actually, if you're really worried about pointless clutter in the forum, we could just stop posting things like "I don't like the way people are posting on this forum." Just my two cents.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

This is why I rarely give compliments or even post on MOC threads. I mean what I say, and I won't say anything just to be "nice".
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

JPinoy wrote:This is why I rarely give compliments or even post on MOC threads. I mean what I say, and I won't say anything just to be "nice".
so you dont like most of what you see? :wink:

Ah well, you can't please everyone I guess. :D
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

LEGOFREAK wrote:
JPinoy wrote:This is why I rarely give compliments or even post on MOC threads. I mean what I say, and I won't say anything just to be "nice".
so you dont like most of what you see? :wink:

Ah well, you can't please everyone I guess. :D
I mean what I say when I make a post about a MOC as well. I have found that there is usually some good in just about everything MOC posted, if I take the time to comment on a MOC, I have looked at it and found something good or constructive to say. Yes some MOCs are better than others, but it is constructive criticism that helps builders grow. We are not all at Anthony's, Jojo's or Dave Eaton's level.

With all the diverse ages in this forum we can expect that not everyone has the brick or the skill to "wow" everyone. It is good to encourage them to continue building anyway, they may have a good start and need some tweaking or they may have a good idea that needs a bit more work, by ignoring the post we aren't going to help them improve their skills, as a community helping people improve their skills is one of the things we have been good at, I'd like to see that continue.

As to JP's comment I will keep that in mind when I notice another of your MOC or gallery link posts. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

OK...
I don't comment on every MOC because I'm very bad at praising, both giving and taking. I rather make and get funny comments on MOCs. Since I'm not a native English speaker I'm not always able to put my thoughts into the right words so I rather say nothing at all. Or I only say something short and sweet.

I rather dislike senseless postings that are clearly just meant to help enhancing the total number of posts of the respective member.

Bye
Jojo