Can we talk about Kreo?

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
AmperZand
Apprentice

Can we talk about Kreo?

Post by AmperZand »

Kreo has recently released a D&D line in North America. But as Kreo is a clone brand, I was wondering if it was OK to discuss it in the Customs forum. Please let me know. I don't want to make a faux pas.

Thanks.
My Brickshelf Gallery: www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=182210

From Family Guy:
Peter: "You've got Legos? Cool! Lois only gets me Mega Bloks."
Lois: "It's the same thing."
Peter: "No, it isn't."
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Re: Can we talk about Kreo?

Post by Bluesecrets »

Traditionally, the answer is no. We are a LEGO fan site. But I can check into it for you. But first I have a question, are you talking about customizing the pieces and including them with LEGO? Or just wanting to discuss the KREO sets? And thank you for asking.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

As Blue said, probably not. I would stay away from clone brands at all costs if I were you, keep to the good stuff, the original, Lego. Think about it this way. If you buy a clone brand set, then you are A) Giving money to and supporting them, thus making their venture to copy and rip off Lego successful. B) adding a bunch of cheap, low quality parts to your collections.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Discussions should relate to LEGO products. A topic comparing KREO sets or elements to LEGO sets or elements would be acceptable.

Ben
AmperZand
Apprentice

Post by AmperZand »

Thanks for clarifying, Ben. Sounds fair.

Bluesecrets,
My intention was to discuss the use of Kreo D&D parts where there was no LEGO equivalent either because TLG hadn't or couldn't make the part. But from Ben's response, I think that's verboten. Anyway, I can't control what other people post, so I couldn't stop them from discussing Kreo D&D sets more broadly once I started the thread. So to stay safe, I won't start that topic.

Brickninja,
I don't have any Kreo yet. But my understanding is that their production standards are pretty high and almost as good as TLG's. There are plenty of rubbish clone brands out there some of which misappropriate TLG's intellectual property. Kreo isn't one of them. Sure, they're jumping on the construction toy and minifigures bandwagon, but the first plastic LEGO bricks were produced by TLG under licence, so TLG isn't wholly original either. While I condemn intellectual property theft categorically, legitimate competition such as Kreo is actually good for FOLs as it keeps TLG on its toes. The Kreo D&D line, for example, might spur TLG to produce more sets that are generic fantasy which would be great for fantasy-loving FOLs.
My Brickshelf Gallery: www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=182210

From Family Guy:
Peter: "You've got Legos? Cool! Lois only gets me Mega Bloks."
Lois: "It's the same thing."
Peter: "No, it isn't."