Some questions from a newbie...

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
stone forest
Gong Farmer

Some questions from a newbie...

Post by stone forest »

Hi I've just joined after recently reconnecting with Lego, and I have a couple of questions about the site's rules on sharing photos of Lego creations. Sorry if these points have already been brought up and I've missed them from not being thorough enough.

Are there rules against sharing photos that contain non-Lego items? So if I've built something that contains not just Lego, but also compatible items such as Cobi and Mega Blox, then is that considered blasphemy or something and will the image be deleted?

Is it acceptable to share photos of Lego creations that contain other non-Lego elements, such as drawings that I've created myself for decoration, and natural objects such as plants and stones to create scenery? In other words, do all images have to be 100% Lego?
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Re: Some questions from a newbie...

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

Hi, welcome to Classic Castle. :)

I doubt anyone would notice if there is a stray blasphemous brick or two in your models (although you yourself will know in your heart and it might weigh upon your conscience). But I imagine that using pieces that are overtly from an unmentionable brand and not a Lego piece would be frowned upon.

The exception to this would be those items posted under the "Castle Customs" section of the forum, and you ought to take a look through that area of the forum to see the sorts of things people have created that aren't really standard Legos. (For instance, this is a thread in which I tried to make some historical looking shields modelled after the Bayeau tapestry: [url]http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... 14&t=18902[/url].) People tend to make their own decals and fabrics, paint pieces as they like, or make specialized accessories to accompany their figures and models. The first post in that subforum explains the rules and etiquette that apply there.

As to integrating natural items—stones, plants, cats, and what have you—I don't ever recall seeing a rule saying anything one way or the other about this. I could only imagine that people would be happy to see where your creativity leads if that's what you'd like to do. Although, I could be wrong. I'm sure one of the more senior members can correct me if I'm mistaken.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

stone forest wrote:Hi I've just joined after recently reconnecting with Lego, and I have a couple of questions about the site's rules on sharing photos of Lego creations. Sorry if these points have already been brought up and I've missed them from not being thorough enough.

Are there rules against sharing photos that contain non-Lego items? So if I've built something that contains not just Lego, but also compatible items such as Cobi and Mega Blox, then is that considered blasphemy or something and will the image be deleted?

Is it acceptable to share photos of Lego creations that contain other non-Lego elements, such as drawings that I've created myself for decoration, and natural objects such as plants and stones to create scenery? In other words, do all images have to be 100% Lego?
These are complicated questions. But I am glad you asked. I will do my best to answer. The other staff members may address this too.

First, we ARE a LEGO community. So there will be people who will object. But at the same time, there will be people who understand. We do allow customized items. But in the past we did not allow clone companies. Third party companies, yes.

As I just said, we are a LEGO community. Our members have a love and loyalty to the LEGO brand. They are passionate. And in the past there have been issues with the use of clones in builds.

There is, as Frank mentioned, the customizing forum, which would probably be best for your non-LEGO elements.

I'm glad you found us and decided to join. If you have questions, you can contact any of the staff in private if you rather. I will get back to you within 24 hours...usually. There are the rare occasions when I'm on vacation.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
stone forest
Gong Farmer

Post by stone forest »

thanks for the replies. The reason I got back into Lego is because a friend of mine handed me a load of Lego for my niece and nephew to play with when they come to visit. And when I started sifting through the stuff, i realized it wasn't all Lego but a lot of it was cheaper imitations that my friend originally bought for her kids (I didn't know these brands existed until now, my parents only ever bought me Lego when I was a kid and i had no idea there were clones out there) And there happened to be a lot of grey blocks, so I soon got into building castles, which I haven't done in over 20 years!

I'm not planning to upload any images just yet, but it's good to know where the site stands on these things. I'll probably just take the minimal approach and create little scenes using some of the figures I've recently bought.