C-C Team Report Card

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.

How are we doing? Please grade our performance!

Perfect!
13%
Very little improvement needed
56%
Some Improvement needed
28%
Much improvement needed
4%
A rock could run the site better
No votes

Total votes: 54

Sheen
Apprentice

Re: C-C Team Report Card

Post by Sheen »

1) What, if anything, can we do to improve the C-C Website (outside the forum)?

Perhaps make a 'newbie guide' that points out some highlights and explains some terms for those new to Lego lingo and/or this website. Much of this information is available here and other places on the web, so really just consolidating these into an ordered list of instructions easy for a newbie to find by clicking on a big link would help.

2) What, if anything, can we do to improve the C-C Forum?

Run it off a different engine or eliminate that tiny piece of code that marks every thread as read when I logoff whether I read them or not. This one thing keeps me from reading C-C unless I know I will have an hour to read everything that's new. (Obsesive-compulsive disorder perhaps, but I can't log in if I'm afraid I'll need to log out before getting everything read and then end up missing something good).

3) Of what, if anything, would you like to see more?

I would love to see more posts from the excellent builders around here giving specific suggestions for improvements on less-talented builder's MOCs that ask for it. Learning to do everything by oneself is certainly satisfying, but also slow. Picking up ideas from other people's MOCs is also satisfying but slow. Getting an idea from a master specifically for your own MOC is a huge help. This of course, isn't something limited to admins of the website but is dependant upon those talented builders willing to give a bit of themselves and their talent to others.

I agree with others that more official news from Lego would be awesome! Anytime we're given an 'inside scoop' it makes us feel privileged, even if it's not truly secret info... Classic Castle is still a wonderful place for Lego to reach out to customers that they're going to have whether they communicate with us or not, but everytime they do it's going to raise membership and interest and continue to drive us towards becoming Lego-collecting zealots that pass our hobby along to our friends.

4) Of what, if anything, would you like to see less?

The things I've wanted to see less of keep dissappearing as the admins continue to deal with off-topic issues and meaningless posters.

5) How well is the C-C Team performing their duties?

Wonderfully. This is one of the best co-ordinated admin teams of a website I've ever seen. I applaud your dedication and hard work, thank you!
:D
Sheen

Avatar photo is a small piece of Black Dragon by Alphonse Capone
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

Just to add my vote to things that have been said:
Well, there are quite a lot of out-of-date sections, for instance Sets, Links, some of the Stories, some of the Creations, etc. The site itself doesn't need very many improvements to make it easier to use, but some updates would be nice.
Also, some topics seem to be locked for no apparent reason, such as the Braveheart topic. Yes, I know that there was some arguing going on, but it was being done in a civil manner and I don't see why it had to be closed. Also, the closure of this topic on 'Kingdom of Heaven' made even less sense to me - people were discussing Saladin (who is a big character in the movie) and yet it was closed for being off-topic. Now whilst there may have been valid reasons for the actions taken, I'd like to have more reasons as to why, not just 'thread off-topic. Thread closed.'
If I think of more I'll edit my post.

This is the most friendly team of moderaters on the web I've ever seen! The most recent example is Anthony's Octagonal Towers. There are a lot of great builders that would keep that to themselves, but you ran a great how-to post. Thanks!

Then again, those teasers... grrr... :wink:

-Ethan
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

This is my 200th post.

What would be cool is if there were a search function for members of the CC forum. I heve to search for a while in order to find a member's profile.

You guys are doing a good job! Though I agree with Ethan on the off-topic. Could you allow some reasonable time for getting off-topic discussions to be righted before you instantly lock them? I had noticed the Braveheart forum getting off-topic and negative. I was about to correct it when i saw the lock on it. I also saw a little anti-English vibe going on, but for the record they weren't innocent in that war. They were the enemy in the Scottish eyes and the Scots only acted in reply to English acts. Clearing that up.
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

I kind of agree with E and Lord Nev. Maybe you could either delete the offending posts or split them and lock or something, because it has happened a few times that there might actually be more to say about the topic in question.

This is just a minor nitpick though and overall I really like your job and this site. Probably the best forum I´ve ever been a member of..

Keep up the good work!
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Honestly, I don't think the thread-locking issue is that significant. Alot of the threads that end up being locked (including the Braveheart thread) stir up alot of tension. The admins simply act before things get out of hand. Yes, that does mean that some interesting discussions may end abruptly, or somebody may not be able to get the last word, but I think its for the best.

People like to think they can resolve things civilly, but LUGNET certainly demonstrates that this is not always the case. What starts off as a minor difference in opinion can easily blossom into an all-out war, particularly when questions of nationalism or religion are at issue.

Later.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

Lord Nev wrote:You guys are doing a good job! Though I agree with Ethan on the off-topic. Could you allow some reasonable time for getting off-topic discussions to be righted before you instantly lock them?
That's not what I said. I just think they need to cite a reason for locking a rather ambiguous thread. That said, I think members need to support that by not posting something that's off topic in the first place.

Okay, question for the Admin Team: It seems as if all the Mideval Life Thread is anymore is movie and game and book reviews. What is Mideval Life really for?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

E of Alshire wrote:Okay, question for the Admin Team: It seems as if all the Mideval Life Thread is anymore is movie and game and book reviews. What is Mideval Life really for?
It is so I can discuss the differences in fortifications between Harlech and Gaillard, Cistercian Cloister architecture, the evolution of the apse from a Roman dining room to devotional areas at the end of pilgrimage churches, Byzantine tower chapels, etc. Any topic which helps our community discuss or better understand medieval architecture, life, and culture is ok here. I agree that we need to post more "real" medieval topics instead of the latest Hollywood version.

Ben
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

E of Alshire wrote: Okay, question for the Admin Team: It seems as if all the Mideval Life Thread is anymore is movie and game and book reviews. What is Mideval Life really for?
To expand on what Ben said, if you don't like the way a forum is going, simply steer it in another direction. If you want to discuss the fallacy of pull weight on a bow or crossbow being the sole indicator of power so you can pontificate about limb length and speed rather than gas on about the latest movie, do so! Or when three-crop rotation caught on, or the relative freedom of peasants in eastern and western europe and how they changed as the medieval period progressed, or did ideas or gunpowder bring about the end of the middle ages. or....

There will always be some pretentious deluded know-it-all wannabe show-off who will talk about it at great length.
:wink:
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

E of Alshire wrote:
Lord Nev wrote:You guys are doing a good job! Though I agree with Ethan on the off-topic. Could you allow some reasonable time for getting off-topic discussions to be righted before you instantly lock them?
That's not what I said. I just think they need to cite a reason for locking a rather ambiguous thread. That said, I think members need to support that by not posting something that's off topic in the first place.

Okay, question for the Admin Team: It seems as if all the Mideval Life Thread is anymore is movie and game and book reviews. What is Mideval Life really for?
I didn't say that was what you said. Well, not intentionally. I meant I agree with you. The other comment was a suggestion having nothing to do with your words.

Though, your suggestion was right to the point. Don't post off-topic stuff in the first place and we'll all be fine. Capital idea!

Admins=fun to make MOCs out of and doing a great job on the forum.
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Sir Nelson
Old Wizard

Post by Sir Nelson »

I agree with some of the other replies; here's my 2 cents:

I like the main page layout (or maybe I've just grown accustomed to it.) I think that the software for Chat should be upgraded and/or changed. More emoticons there would also be an improvement. :D Also, some official CC.com merchandise would be welcomed (Hats, Shirts, Mugs, etc.) (BTW, what is TLC's policy on making items with their castle emblems? Meh... I'll take it to another forum post.) Food for thought...

I like some of the features inherent to other forum engines, such as those in the Eurobricks forum. Like #1 above, I guess major changes may mean $$$. (But, a fund-raiser was needed to assist with some great changes, that's okay.)

More Castle MOCs. Perhaps even a "design a castle set" contest, where winning entries (small or large; built with price-points in mind) could be presented directly to TLC. Not for royalties, just some recognition.

Less posts from those who are trying to gain forum ranks by replying to nearly every thread.

Excellently! Keep up the great work!
"Old Wizards never die, nor fade away. They just kind of operate behind the scenes and in the shadows... doing all of their weird and wonderful Wizardy things and whatnot."
Fry_slayer
Steward

Post by Fry_slayer »

Sir Nelson wrote:Perhaps even a "design a castle set" contest
Cool, love to see excellent small sets ideas from all the great builders here, will be an eye feast if that is done...

Less posts from those who are trying to gain forum ranks by replying to nearly every thread.
From our Master builder, joined since Jan2005, post = <200 (171 when i posted this)
quality > quantity
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Fryslayer]Brickshelf[/url] | [url=http://brickgamers.blogspot.com/]BrickGamers[/url]
Jim
Apprentice

Post by Jim »

Howdy!

Sorry it's taken me so long to throw my opinion in, but here it is:

I really like the C-C website, probably because it has become comfortable. Herein lies the danger. Stagnation and the overwhelming burden of so much stuff threaten the usability of the site. Please don't take offense, I intend none. There are 35 pages of MOC post topics, and who knows how many pages of actual posts. This is an incredible amount of content (and a bunch of stuff with which we don't know what to do). I am not advocating deleting anything, and I hope the web host can continue to support the site no matter how large it gets. The more data (posts), without additional organization, the more difficult it will be to manage and for new users peruse. I imagine that only a small percentage of the content in the site is actually used, due to the organizational difficulties.

C-C will need to evolve if we want to maintain a high percentage of usable data, but how do we do this? I do not believe that I have the best answer, but I do know that it will take a significant investment in time to organize all of the data. I would love to see more articles that condense relevant posts on a common subject. These articles could provide an overview description of the subject, highlight some of the best examples, and provide links to the original posts. I am not saying that it is the Admins/Moderators jobs to do this, but they should lead/organize the effort.

Someone (many, not just one person) needs to be responsible for this effort. In using the word responsibility, I do not like to imply a definition of accountability; we do not need someone to hold accountable. I prefer the definition: "being the agent or cause". Without the C-C community taking responsibility, the job will not get done. Admin/Mod privledges are not required for responsibility, determination is.

Users should be able to delete topics (through an automated deletion request??) that are no longer needed. Specifically, posts that are out of date, or have had the subjects collected into an article should be retired (if the originator requests). Part of any organizational effort is the purging stage.

Articles and organizing meta-data. Not the Admin/Moderator fault that we don't have much of this. Once again, the community must take responsibility.

I would like to see a new forum just for C-C evolution. This forum could allow the community to develop a vision for C-C future, discuss specific strategies for enhancement, and contain posts for the development of articles and organizing the data. We should not expect any single person to be able to organize all of the data on any subject by themselves and satisfy everyone.

Not much bothers me, so I don't have any input on this one.

Excellently. This post is a great idea, and I hope that a vision for C-C future will be created.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Jim
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

Good points Jim.

I'd like to add to Jim's thoughts on a cluttered board.

Small things like a few sticky posts will help with the clutter.
For example, in the Buy and Sell forum. Instead of someone creating a new topic on a great find on ebay or a good deal in a particular store, how about a sticky near the top where members can post all their finds there.

The same idea can work for a few other parts of the Forum.

Delete topics that have gone no where or make no sense. I understand post count is of some importance to some members...but board stability is much more important.

Why not delete locked topics or move them to a folder in the Admin/Mod section? Out of sight, out of mind. :)

Except for clutter, every other aspect seems fine to me.

Cheers.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

CAI wrote:Good points Jim.

I'd like to add to Jim's thoughts on a cluttered board.

Small things like a few sticky posts will help with the clutter.
For example, in the Buy and Sell forum. Instead of someone creating a new topic on a great find on ebay or a good deal in a particular store, how about a sticky near the top where members can post all their finds there.

The same idea can work for a few other parts of the Forum.

Delete topics that have gone no where or make no sense. I understand post count is of some importance to some members...but board stability is much more important.

Why not delete locked topics or move them to a folder in the Admin/Mod section? Out of sight, out of mind. :)

Except for clutter, every other aspect seems fine to me.

Cheers.
The problem is that so many topics are linked to actual pages on the website. Deleting old topics could change the topic numbers and mess up all of our links. I am also not in favor of putting all finds in one thread. What would be better is if members would only post a find if it was a great one, not just an average find. So finding a Majisto's Workshop for $20 would not be needed.

Ben
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

Hi Architect,

The way I see it, a great find on ebay or somewhere else will eventually end...that particular thread will be useless when the auction has ended, but still will be cluttering the board. Lot's of them there now.

Posting all finds(decent or great) in one topic seems to make more sense, to me anyway.

Cheers.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]