Avatar question for those who know all

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
kaloo
Laborer

Avatar question for those who know all

Post by kaloo »

Why cant I change one of CC's avatar shields from the gallery and use it?? One, this site seems to discriminate against windows files, no .bmps or .docs for the uploading location (just figured out how to upload, I think) and it cant be greater than 10 kb. Well your shields, according to my (weird) computer, are 35 kb. So why cant I just modify one?? I just want three colored stripes and I cant upload it!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil: why?????????:evil: why are the things in the gallery 35 kb when there is a 10 kb limit?????????? Or maybe I'm just doing everything wrong and one of you is gonna politely call me an idiot. :?: So if you know what's going on, please try to help me. No website IN EXISTENCE (except maybe this one) has any pics under 10 kb either, thats an insane regulation!!! :evil: how do you guys get your avatars which must be hundreds of kb to fit??? please help me.
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
Troy
King Mnementh the Bronze
King Mnementh the Bronze

Post by Troy »

I will try to answer your questions in order:
Why cant I change one of CC's avatar shields from the gallery and use it??
You can, if you have the proper software to edit the file.
One, this site seems to discriminate against windows files, no .bmps or .docs for the uploading location (just figured out how to upload, I think)
This is not discriminating against anything. This is sticking with web standards so that we are compatible with everyone. Web standards are .jpg and .gif.
and it cant be greater than 10 kb.
These files are stored locally and are thus served by the CC server for every page that is loaded. The limit is low so that our server does not get overburdened.

Also, when viewing a page every person who posted could conceivably have an avatar. Dowloading several large avatars could slow down viewing for people with slower connections.
Well your shields, according to my (weird) computer, are 35 kb
You are incorrect. Our shield avatars in the gallery are all under 10kb.
So why cant I just modify one??
You can, if you have the proper software to edit the file.
I just want three colored stripes and I cant upload it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Because it is too big would be my guess.
why?????????
Because it is too big would be my guess.
why are the things in the gallery 35 kb when there is a 10 kb limit??????????
There aren't
Or maybe I'm just doing everything wrong and one of you is gonna politely call me an idiot.
You may be on to something here. But I do not believe that there is a polite whay to call someone an idiot.
So if you know what's going on, please try to help me.
You have not really given enough information to get an accurate answer, but I will give you an educated guess. I would have to say that you are probably not using a decent enough program to edit the files. My guess would be that you are using MSPaint or something.

MS Paint likes to use BMP files. This is a bad thing because BMP files are not compressed and are thus very large. I would further guess that the program is taking the file that you downloaded from our avatar gallery (which is a compressed .jpg) and is converting it to a BMP. This is why they appear larger to you then they really are.

Depending on which version of MS Paint you are using (which is dependent on which version of Windows you are using) you may or may not be able to save your files as .jpg. Look for a Save As command in the file menu.

Either way, I would try getting a different image editor.
So if you know what's going on, please try to help me.
Any intelligently designed web page will not have regularly loaded images OVER 10kb on them. Product images and news images are the exception. Nothing for the interface should be even close to 10kb though.
how do you guys get your avatars which must be hundreds of kb to fit???
They don't
please help me.
Please see the information above about getting a better image editing program

Troy
Visit Troy's Surplus LEGO
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=mnementh
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

PM me dude - I can help you.

legofreak

PS - you can ask around for my references :D
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

I already PM'd this to LEGOFREAK, but I thought I'd post it here to. Also, thanks for answering the questions Troy, I feel like a real moron now. Pretty much what I said is problem. I cant change it to .jpg or .pdf because my messed up windows 98 makes it inaccessible. Also, putting one of the shields from the gallery into a Idontevenknowwhatitscalledpaintprogram
makes it 35 kb, thats without modification at all. It also makes it .bmp, the only thing that opens.
so why does windows say they are 35 kb, without modification at all?? I understand that windows isn't that reliable, my dad uses LINUX, but I need windows on my pc for schoolwork... He also has photoshop on his private pc, but he uses it all day except when tutoring kids, and thats when I'm at school getting overloaded with more stuff to put on Windows to finish. He's a photographer. There really isn't that much more to say, Windows doesn't say that much. Just 'sorry, that doesn't work' in various forms.
And getting new/updated programs for this hunk of junk is pretty much out of the question... But I'll see if I can get a better image editing program. Thanks again.
Sticking a gallery shield in a .bmp makes it 3.something MB

smilies have been deleted.
spelling has been partially corrected
Last edited by kaloo on Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

kaloo, one thing. Your using a but too many smilies in your posts. You shold try to cut it down to one-per-post.

DM :|
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

I'll try. But I've never had smilies before, so that's probably the reason Im over doing it. Almost every post I say,'Oh, one more couldn't hurt'. But I'll try...
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Hey Kaloo,

If you make your custom shield, email me the file at wlister at shaw.ca. I can resize and compress your file to the appropriate file size and then pm it back to you. I can't do the design for you, but file compression is a skill I do have.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

Thanks so much to everyone who helped me get my avatar straight, especially Will!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

"HIP HIP FOR WILL"

-knights undler Lord E
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Happy to help Kaloo,

The shield looks pretty nice too.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Oops sorry man - I have been away from my computer too long. Glad to see that you got it taken care of and you can ignore my response. I was willing to help you make an avatar because I am not so good at the computerese, but it looks like you have done a great job yourself!

Excellent shield, and by the way--- Welcome To CCC! :D

Legofreak
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

its OK LF, my friends get mad at me all the time because they email me something on and I read it a month later. I'm not an email person. But I don't care, I realize its a fact of life people dont rely on computers day and night
I cant type right.
I never check email.
I couldn't upload a thing without reading Will's instructions again.
I hardly understand why so many people hate Microsoft.
and I could probably find more reasons why I'm bad with computers. But thats really off topic... :roll:
And my postsperday probably wont be around 15 after the weekend is over...