Open letter to CC Members

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Slobey
Foot Soldier

Open letter to CC Members

Post by Slobey »

Hi there,

Since joining the CC community earlier this year I have found the site to be informative, interesting and most importantly friendly. New members are greeted with enthusiasm and made to feel a genuine part of CC straight away. There is little flaming and the site is admined very well.

However, recently I have noticed that many interesting threads have decended into at least a page of arguement, usually after an inconsiderate comment or review from newer members. All I ask is that these comments are treated with the respect they deserve and ignored especially those by serial offenders. If you need to respond, please do so via PM to the person in question and if the response is unsatisfactory PM and admin.

The great thing about CC is the respect people show to one another and the fact that you don't have to wade through pages of garbage to enjoy a thread. Lets keep it that way.

Please don't use this thread to name members you feel fit this description but all comments, critisism and reinforcement are welcome :)
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has limits
nazgul
Artisan

Post by nazgul »

My sentiments exactly :) . Personally, I couldn't have put it better myself. I guess a few of the new posters or ones that are returning are turning out to be flamers. Pretty sad, really.

My two cents,
-nazgul
Last edited by nazgul on Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You know the golden rule, He who has the gold makes the rules"
I'm 13.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Having been involved in more than one of these arguments, I think I can talk from experience here...though I might also be biased, too.

I hate to say it, but I think the main problems are almost always caused by newer members (not all, just a few). And a lot of the time, I reckon it's because they haven't read the rules and don't really have any idea of the courtesy and respect/respected ideals we have here. Oh yes, the rules are certainly easy enough to find, and they are very well written, but I think many of the people who start these fights are either oblivious to their presence or just don't really care about looking at them because they think they know it already or they're just ignorant.

So I'd suggest: make the rules easier to find. Maybe have them displayed on a page of their own, maybe linked to above the forum 'boxes'.

Also, about sorting things out via PM: to be frank, I don't think this is how problems should be sorted. I think people need to see arguments and trouble in public, so that we can see it resolved, and maybe then people might learn from it and realise the rules better.

This is all just my opinion, and I think this site is fantastic, and almost everyone on here is a great person. It's just a shame it can't be perfect.

- Matt
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

I hate to say it but when I joined I only glanced through the rules :oops: but I usually don't like threads that are full of fights.
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

I hope I'm not one of the new members Nazgul mentioned, if so sorry.

I agree with this, it sounds like a great plan, one that will allow topics to thrive peacefully.

I was gonna write another story/example, as I usually do, but I don't have the time right now :)
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

In the past few week, I have witnessed at least two of what I would call minor flame wars, although other might just see them as arguments. It's sad, because before now, I had not seen I single one.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
nazgul
Artisan

Post by nazgul »

ZIGGY! wrote:I hate to say it but when I joined I only glanced through the rules :oops: but I usually don't like threads that are full of fights.
Don't worry, neither did I (Please, admins, forgive mee....), but in general, don't be a jerk. While that's not exactly descriptive, don't do anything, oh wait, I might as well copy TOS at this rate; but you get the general idea. Hopefully I won't get banned or a white X on my door for typing this, so I'll just hope for the best.

-nazgul
I'm 13.
Lord Felix
Landlord

Post by Lord Felix »

I've noticed that too. Everything seems a little tense. I always try to be positive (even though I don't post to much, even though I browse and lurk every day :lol: ). I hope I'm not one of the "listed." :?

Oh BTW, I've noticed that in general we have had a gain in active members.

My 3.2 cents,
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dandin]Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8499398@N07/]Flickr[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/candlemusic]My Band: Candle[/url]
nazgul
Artisan

Post by nazgul »

Jeez, I can't beleive my post is being taken so seriously! But don't worry, none of you are the "listed" (Bum-bum-bum 8) ). But really, to those of you who are on the "black list" (V for vendetta referance (I've been waiting so long to say that)), please stop, we're talking about a toy that we love to play with. So don't take anything personal and don't flame just because you want too.

My two cents,
-nazgul
I'm 13.
Shurtugal
Bailiff
Location: On the Albertan Prairies, listening to some slow country music

Post by Shurtugal »

Lord Felix wrote: Everything seems a little tense.
I've noticed this, too. When I was just lurking, and even when I first joined, which wasn't too lonmg ago, the attitudes around the forums were way more positives, and discussions were more mature and productive.
to those of you who are on the "black list"
I think these people should know who they are, and I really hope that they will take it upon themselves to better the forums, and not try the limits until the Admins are forced to take drastic action. I'm sure they don't want to have to do anything of the sort.
So don't take anything personal
Good point. I've seen a few of these arguments resulting from comment that were not meant to be insulting or negative. Everyone, please be on the lookout for these guys :lol: :wink: 8) . I know I've missed the smilies while reading a post, too.

Good post, Slobey, I agree completely, and it's time someone said it.
~Andrew C.

[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php]MOCpages![/url]

Eka ai fricai un Shur'tugal! I am a Rider and a friend!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

The admins are aware of the recent problems and will take steps if threads or users get out of hand. As usual, if anyone has a concern about a thread or user, please send an admin a pm about it. Thank you.

Ben