What just went "pop"??

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

What just went "pop"??

Post by footsteps »

Okay, is it just me, or have about 200 users just gone "pop" out of existence? Last night (Thursday) I browsed in to C-C to see what was going on. Somewhere over 1100 users were listed as registered. This morning, I browse in and the registered user count is 911. There are still two spammers on the list, plus one Italian that I think is questionable, but I never thought that we had 200 spammers on our list -- last count by me was less than 20.

So I'm just a wee bit curious as to what happened to our member list. Was it intentional, or has some piece of software "fallen down"?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

In an effort to stem the tide of spammers, Troy did a database purge of all 'inactive' users, or in other words, any and all users that never got further than the confirmation email and thus never activated their account. Apparently there were quite a few of these users.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Traveler
Reeve

Post by Traveler »

SavaTheAggie wrote:In an effort to stem the tide of spammers, Troy did a database purge of all 'inactive' users, or in other words, any and all users that never got further than the confirmation email and thus never activated their account. Apparently there were quite a few of these users.

--Tony
I was one of these...sort of. I signed up and I'm pretty sure I never got the confirmation e-mail. I couldn't find an e-mail address for any admins, so I tried again using a different e-mail address and user name and it worked fine. A lot of these "inactive" users could be cases like mine. It's good to see that my useless account was done away with.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I think I did too. I used a hotmail acount, and never got an email. This was a pretty long time ago though, so it may have been deleted earlier.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.