Medieval Interiors content is IE-only

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Medieval Interiors content is IE-only

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

Just wanted to note that the Medieval Interiors content that was recently posted is IE-only. Bit of a problem for us Firefox users, especially those of us who are not using Windows either.

I'd suggest that in the future, proprietary formats such as powerpoint should be exported to PDF of something similar before posting them to the web.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I was aware that the webpage was only for IE which is why I also posted a link to download the presentation. We will make some of these presentations available in pdf format as well.

Ben
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I also considered mentioning this when I was unable to view the presentation in Safari or Firefox. Then I remembered that I have PowerPoint, so I just downloaded the presentation.

That worked for me, but I know there are people out there without IE or PP. For those people, and to keep the web as standards-compliant as possible, I'd like to add my voice in agreement with the thread starter.

FWIW, it took me about 30 seconds to convert the presentation into a PDF, and I'm willing to volunteer my services to convert any PPT files into PDF if my assistance is needed or requested.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I think IE available to download for free on Microsoft.com. I downloaded it, and I use it for things like this, where Firefow won't work.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Powerpoint presentations

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

Well, I was able to view the document using OpenOffice. But saying "IE is available" or "Powerpoint (viewer) is available" is missing the point a bit; the web is built upon open standards and there's no reason that "presentation" needed to be delivered in PPT or IE-specific HTML (though I can appreciate why it may have been originally written in PPT).

Anyway, it wasn't a show-stopper for me (this time) but for all the Linux and Mac users, IE-specific web pages are not helpful, and PPT is only useful to people who have MS Office, or sometimes for people with OpenOffice (depending on what features of PPT are used).

Anyway, this isn't a huge problem or anything, I just thought it worth mentioning that this content wasn't easily accessible to all users, unlike the rest of CC.com. This is a great site, and I'd hate to see it require proprietary software to access it.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

This has now been corrected as a pdf is available. The main problem is that ppt can not be converted to a universal web format. Hand writing the html version of a very large ppt is too time consuming. We do understand that our users have a variety of computers, OS systems, web browsers, etc. This is why the presentation is now a pdf which can be seen by MAC and PC users without a different browser.

Ben