Enemies at the Gate

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

What about IP banning. I've heard of that working on other sites.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

It won't work because the IPs change all the time. As I can see, no MODs are online at this time of the day while Europeans are(mostly). So Maedhros's idea of a promotion is pretty logical at this point.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Scnicker wrote:It won't work because the IPs change all the time. As I can see, no MODs are online at this time of the day while Europeans are(mostly). So Maedhros's idea of a promotion is pretty logical at this point.
Not all. It depends on whether you have a Static or Dynamic IP address. Which very from place to place. And while IP banning wouldn't work for dynamic IPs, it would work for static, and so might help a little.

Kelderic
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

Yes, but you can request to change the static ones ;), not that anyone would bother to spam of course.
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

kelderic wrote:
Scnicker wrote:It won't work because the IPs change all the time. As I can see, no MODs are online at this time of the day while Europeans are(mostly). So Maedhros's idea of a promotion is pretty logical at this point.
Not all. It depends on whether you have a Static or Dynamic IP address. Which very from place to place. And while IP banning wouldn't work for dynamic IPs, it would work for static, and so might help a little.

Kelderic
I think IP Banning is a bad idea.

I know I myself have been unable to register on certain places because of similar IPs to mine previously being blocked. It could prove a problem for genuine new users wanting to post?
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Scnicker wrote:Yes, but you can request to change the static ones
Yes. I realize that there are ways to get around it. You can do that with anything. However, it might help lessen the amount of spammers getter through, and if one spammer out of ten gets stopped by it, then it would be helping. However, Richard brings up another point. We wouldn't want to block legit new members, so it falls to the same problem as having to have admin approval to post.

Kelderic
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

I don't think waiting for an admin to approve new members would be much of a hassle to joiners- as long as the admin is on top of the task.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

I don't think waiting for an admin to approve new members would be much of a hassle to joiners- as long as the admin is on top of the task.
Have you been an admin before? It is a daunting task to stay "on top of the task." There are days when many many people join. And we don't know exactly who has what ability for banning and approving around here. You might be asking just one person to do this, and even if it is two that is still too much work to go along with the other parts of being an admin.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

Post by Rubberchickenknight »

(I found your reply.... interesting btw )
What reply?

IP banning: No. School networks and library networks sometimes have one IP, and that wouldn't work vs. dial-up. Like spammers use dial-up :wink:
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

On the topic of admins approving things, how about giving one or two responsible members the power to approve accounts. That way, they can stay on top of things without having to worry about other admin responsibilities.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Spongey wrote:On the topic of admins approving things, how about giving one or two responsible members the power to approve accounts. That way, they can stay on top of things without having to worry about other admin responsibilities.
The forum software does not allow this without also giving said members admin priveledges for the entire forum. There's no minimum access account type.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Jake, of the Palace Guard
Laborer

Post by Jake, of the Palace Guard »

SavaTheAggie wrote:
Spongey wrote:On the topic of admins approving things, how about giving one or two responsible members the power to approve accounts. That way, they can stay on top of things without having to worry about other admin responsibilities.
The forum software does not allow this without also giving said members admin priveledges for the entire forum. There's no minimum access account type.

--Tony
Yeah, over on fbtb, Austin's just been made an Admin, to cut down on spammer memberships and whatnot. Just a word of warning... :P :shock: :wink:
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

It seems we're getting spammers now capable of posting jpegs. :roll:

:cry:
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

SavaTheAggie wrote:The forum software does not allow this without also giving said members admin priveledges for the entire forum. There's no minimum access account type.
--Tony
Alternatively, is it possible to put a delay on posting privileges? i.e. 2-4 days after signing up.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Lord Felix
Landlord

Post by Lord Felix »

Alternatively, is it possible to put a delay on posting privileges? i.e. 2-4 days after signing up.
Hmm. Intresting idea! Maybe that would work, but of course, I posted the moment I became a member... :o
We would have to add an explination....

You know what? I forgot. Do we have a (I call them "Jumbled") Letter and Number thingies that randomize the different letters in weird shapes?
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dandin]Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8499398@N07/]Flickr[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/candlemusic]My Band: Candle[/url]