Ancients Theme discussion forum?

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Ancients Theme discussion forum?

Post by JPinoy »

I was thinking, since not everyone in CC are just castle fans, but also have an interest in the Ancient era (which is in many ways related to Castle theme), how about adding a section/forum for it.

Some threads have gone a bit off topic, due to discourse about the Ancients entering the topic.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
catena
Villein

Post by catena »

I really like this idea. I use the CCC Standard for creations which aren't castle, strictly speaking.
We discuss European, Asian, and American civilizations in the castle forum, and it's a bit of a distraction from the purely castle threads. When I posted my Roman Frontier thread, I was concerned that it might be considered out of place. I got a good reaction, but would have been more comfortable posting to a forum that was clearly for ancients.
Jason (lego at jcatena dot net)
Classic-castle [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=874]Master Gatekeeper[/url], March 2004
http://www.jcatena.net/lego
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

JP,

I'm not sure if an ancient forum would necessarily be appropriate. There are other forums for ancient discussion already, such as lugnet.build.ancient

Essentially, I'd wait until I see greater demand.

But, we are, after all, a *castle* community website - and I don't like the diluting of that responsibility by incorporating lots of other themes - there are many cc-ers who wanna talk space stuff - fine, but the place for it is lugnet.space. One of the key issues with the lego community is the excessive fracturing created by many sites trying to do the same things, and I tend to think that if there is a proper place for something, it should stay there.

-lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Personally I don't see "ancients" as being off-topic in the Castle forum. Most Castle builders tend to build in a specific style based roughly on England or central Europe from a specific time period, but the Castle Ninja subtheme says that TLC doesn't confine things to just this one geographic location and era.

Bruce
SirCumferance
Laborer

Post by SirCumferance »

Yes, we all have to remember, this is Classic-Castle.com, not Classic-Medieval.com. Ancients built castles too, did they not?
I am the queen of France!

... Maker of Castle Crusade

Mail me! kullvox03222@yahoo.com
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Glencaer wrote:JP,

I'm not sure if an ancient forum would necessarily be appropriate. There are other forums for ancient discussion already, such as lugnet.build.ancient

Essentially, I'd wait until I see greater demand.

But, we are, after all, a *castle* community website - and I don't like the diluting of that responsibility by incorporating lots of other themes - there are many cc-ers who wanna talk space stuff - fine, but the place for it is lugnet.space. One of the key issues with the lego community is the excessive fracturing created by many sites trying to do the same things, and I tend to think that if there is a proper place for something, it should stay there.

-lenny
The advantage of having a CC Ancients forum, is that unlike the lugnet.ancients is that there is no need to go to your email and approve it, its faster and easier to use if it were here, and plus there are far more people discussing things here than from what I see in that section of Lugnet. Best of all.... no religious debates regarding Brendan Powell's mocs. :D
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi JP,

I tend to agree with Lenny that we do not need a separate forum at this time for ancient moc's.

For the most part, these moc's are pretty close to castle. I guess if we are picky, it is medieval Europe from the Fall of Rome to the Renaissance, but who is counting :D

As long as the site focuses mainly on castle and doesn't become a space forum...

Are you a lugnet member? I find it just as easy to log in there as it is here. Of course if you aren't a member, some hoops must be jumped through.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
the_great_one
Artisan

Post by the_great_one »

Admins --- Would it be aloud, if Jp posted in the general Lego forum?
Beacause that is general and i think that is the best place for Ancients top go. :D

Nikos
[url=http://www.google.com]Your Greatest Friend[/url]
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Let me also point out that Lugnet is in a period of transition - and that the post verification issue is something that is going to be dealt with. I'd suspect by this time next year, that problem will be a thing of the past. Perhaps sooner.

But the real issue at hand is the issue of "purpose of our website" vs. "needs of our users". Classic-Castle was made to support LEGO *Castle* building -- and so the question is - should cc expand its purpose? if yes, then the issue is, where do we stop expanding our purpose?

One of the key issues I see is whether there is anywhere else that serves the same purpose. now, Lugnet might not be the best place for discussion now - but when Lugnet is fixed, I'd rather not see a bazillion sites all offering the same sorts of things. I dont think it is good for the community, or for the user (you).

But extend this issue back to castle - isn't there a lugnet.castle? yes. and in some ways, cc was formed to both highlight the problems with lugnet, and to provide an alternative (lugnet was going up and down sporadically then) - but the real reason for cc is to do what lugnet *can't* do - which is everything else on the site: A set archive, custom set archive, 3cs standard page, how-to articles, etc. cc has grown much faster than any of us suspected, which is a great thing.

So should cc expand its purpose to include ancients? i dont think we should - it doesn't really fit the scope of what we set out to do, and i don't think it fits what we are - our niche in the community.

Should you be able to talk about ancients related stuff? well, no one is stopping you - and general lego would be my vote of where that discussion should be held, but i dont think it is something that should be officially inserted into our forums.

This discussion can continue - but please, I'd like it that if this discussion goes forward, that you guys address the issues I've brought up.

One of the things about the lego community, is that relatively few people really think of the whole thing as a *whole* - we want whats best for our niche - but what helps everyone, what helps the community, helps the individual user.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Hm... I am of the opinion that the discussion should take place in Castle MOCs. The issue here is the definition of "Castle".

To some, "Castle" is simply European-style buildings from the medieval era.

Others (such as myself) have their "Castle" lands in a fantasy setting. I build mostly European-style buildings, but I enjoy getting ideas from ancients creations. For those of us not striving for "historical accuarcy", Ancients are very enriching.

One thing that has to be realized is that Ancients and Castle are very close. If you confine, lets say, Roman palisade walls to General Lego, then why should a Motte-and-Bailey castle reside in Castle MOCs? For that matter, why should fantasy creations be allowed to reside in "Castle".

Personally, I find that Ancients and Castle are very similar and can exchange many ideas. Many of the minifigs and architectural styles used in Ancients can be transported quickly to Castle. Greek architecture could inspire similar decorations in a Castle.

I don't think Ancients should have their own forum. They simply should be posted along with all the other worthy Castle-y creations in Castle MOCs (and Customs, although I doubt there would be a whole lot to post). If it inspires even one small aspect of a castle, I'm all for it. :!:
catena
Villein

Post by catena »

I also wanted to make the point that I really like the 3CS standard as a compromise between ease of building and solidity and strength of design. The LEGO standard walls always seemed very flimsy, insecure (archer loops on the ground level every ten feet), and limited creativity. So I build to the 3CS standard to have the ability to eventually combine my creations with others. Since the best source of people to talk about the standard is here, I post my non-medieval creations here as well. If CC became strictly medieval, I would request a forum for dicussion of creations that were made to the 3CS standard, since in addition to the time-frame, this site also champions the standard.
Jason (lego at jcatena dot net)
Classic-castle [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=874]Master Gatekeeper[/url], March 2004
http://www.jcatena.net/lego
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

One thing that has to be realized is that Ancients and Castle are very close. If you confine, lets say, Roman palisade walls to General Lego, then why should a Motte-and-Bailey castle reside in Castle MOCs? For that matter, why should fantasy creations be allowed to reside in "Castle".
Other examples can be made in a different direction. The Roman or Greek temples of classic antiquity were not built after a point in time. Building types do overlap, but only to a certain extent. An ancient ruin or a modified ancient building would be more appropriate for medieval times. If a building type, like a basilica is used by ancient people and medieval people, then that can go into castle moc's. But if you are making a Greek Trireme, that should go into General or Lugnet.ancients

Either way, I am sure most members will be happy to see and review your creations.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

architect wrote:But if you are making a Greek Trireme, that should go into General or Lugnet.ancients
I sort of have to disagree with you on this. :)

Perhaps that is not the best example. Considering the fact that there are very few ships of any sort, I would welcome some ideas, even if they were not in the traditional "castle" era.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Perhaps that is not the best example. Considering the fact that there are very few ships of any sort, I would welcome some ideas, even if they were not in the traditional "castle" era.
I believe you are missing my point. It can be posted, but not in Lego Castle because it is not castle! A trireme could go in general, where everyone can still see it. There were many types of medieval ships and the Trireme is not one of them - so it is a good example of what should not be in the Lego Castle forum.

Ben