Homepage

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

[quote="TwoTonic Knight"]Oh, and congrats on having a birthday on a cool day - mine is on the "assassination of Julius Caesar Day". Beware the Ides of March![quote]

Tanti saluti per diem natalis tuum! (Or something like that. My Latin is almost ten years away...)

Bye
Jojo

Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

1) Since when are pirates NOT medieval? Heck Julius Caesar made his name fighting pirates as well as beating up Gauls and holidaying in England. Vikings were just glorified pirates. Piracy isn't all Caribbean cruises and Spanish Galleons! :wink:

2) Thanksgiving is a great a holiday but in Canada we celebrate it the second Monday in October (November is for Remembrance day on the 11th.) :D
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

"Pirates" means something more than just sea theives - if I said I made a lego pirate moc and it turned out to be a roman ship, you would be surprised.

a vikings are not pirates. they are marauders - there is a subtle, poignant difference.

and we celebrate Nov 11th here in the States as well, altho nobody mentions why we do. Which I find very odd - why celebrate the annivesary of the end of the great war, but not tell anyone about it. very odd.

-lenstein
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Lord Resta
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Resta »

Does anyone else celebrate shrove Tuesday(or should I say pancake day?) I countries other than England? Just wondering.
Look to my coming, on the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East...

-Gandalf the White, The Two Towers.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

It would be cool to compile a list of holidays that would have been celebrated in medieval times. Of course mostly these would be true "holy-days", religious celebrations like the normal Christian holidays we still recognize (Christmas, Easter, Ash Wednesday, etc) plus various saints' days, days that have since been transmogrified into secular holidays (e.g. All Hallows' Eve), and maybe some Celtic holidays for the sake of ecumenical variety.

Bruce