Homepage

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Jojo
Master

Homepage

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

What's the colour scheme and Lucky-thing about this week?

Bye
Jojo

stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

Maybe it's national gambling week in the US? :wink: :D
In The Netherlands it's Book Week... but that has nothing to do with lucky, it is nice though :wink:
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

It is for Saint Patrick's Day,

Here is some info on the subject quoted from a website. Being Irish myself, I knew the story, but this guy tells it better. http://wilstar.com/holidays/patrick.htm
The patron saint of Ireland, much Irish folklore surrounds St. Patrick's Day. Not much of it is actually substantiated.

Some of this lore includes the belief that Patrick raised people from the dead. He also is said to have given a sermon from a hilltop that drove all the snakes from Ireland. Of course, no snakes were ever native to Ireland, and some people think this is a metaphor for the conversion of the pagans. Though originally a Catholic holy day, St. Patrick's Day has evolved into more of a secular holiday.

One traditional icon of the day is the shamrock. And this stems from a more bona fide Irish tale that tells how Patrick used the three-leafed shamrock to explain the Trinity.

Copyright © 1999, 2001 by Jerry Wilson.
It is celebrated in North America, because there are just about as many people of Irish decent in North America as there is in Ireland. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Ha,

Another example of how Heterogeneous CCC forums are. Personally I think it is great being introduced to others holidays and customs.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

So, do we get an orange frontpage April 30st?
That day it's Queensday in The Netherlands... :wink:
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Ahh but you forget the single most important part of St.Patrick's Day: Drinking Irish beer until you puke!

Americans love drinking holidays - which is the same reason we celebrate Cinco de Mayo (5th of May) - which is the *Mexican* independence day! Just another reason to go down to the bar and do shots of tequila!
That day it's Queensday in The Netherlands.
Is drinking copious amounts of alcohol (possibly jenever?) associated with this holiday?

Then you have your answer ;)

-lenstein
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

Glencaer wrote:
That day it's Queensday in The Netherlands.
Is drinking copious amounts of alcohol (possibly jenever?) associated with this holiday?

Then you have your answer ;)

-lenstein
Euh, yes it is :D (honestly!)
Stephen
Laborer

Post by Stephen »

Since we are an international community, I think it would be a good idea to celebrate important holidays from all nations. And a short explanation could be given as well.

OK folks, post here and tell what holidays should we should celebrate?

Stephen
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I guess as the person who actually creates the graphics for the main page, I should chime in.

The current creteria for celebrated holidays on the main page is this:

The holiday must be

1. Secular, though can have non-secular roots, like Christmas has become for so many people.
2. Celebrated in more than one country on a regular basis, i.e. July 4th is an American holiday only, and will not be recognized. I'm not sure how we worked 'Thanksgiving' in there though :)

If there are holidays celebrated that meet those criteria I'm sure the admins will be happy to consider it.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

What about Talk Like a Pirate Day?

Its September 19. Its really fun, I suggest we all participate. Having a pirate themed homepage would be cool.

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

Argh!

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

What about Talk Like a Pirate Day?
no.

why?

BECAUSE WE"RE A CASTLE WEBSITE, FOOL!

-- and if thanksgiving isn't an international holiday - it should be. What better holiday is there than being thankful?

I'd also like to add the rule that Classic-Castle reserves the right to not celebrate any holiday, even if it does meet Anthony's requirements above. Why? Because Anthony does it as a way of having fun - and if it becomes more work than fun, then we shouldn't do it, and it is our right to decide whether we do it or not at any given occurance.

:)

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Glencaer wrote:and if thanksgiving isn't an international holiday - it should be. What better holiday is there than being thankful?
Well, Thanksgiving is neither called "thanksgiving" here nor is it a holyday. But we have a similiar day, called Erntedankfest (harvest festival).

I'd also like to add the rule that Classic-Castle reserves the right to not celebrate any holiday, even if it does meet Anthony's requirements above. Why? Because Anthony does it as a way of having fun - and if it becomes more work than fun, then we shouldn't do it, and it is our right to decide whether we do it or not at any given occurance.
I agree.

Bye
Jojo

LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Ok - so what if the admins arbitrarily pick a day and have it be "Talk Like a Monty Python and the Holy Grail Character Day"?

Nevermind.. most days are like that around here...:D

(She turned me into a newt!)

(I got better...)

freak
Jennifer
Queen Jenn the Hottie

Post by Jennifer »

HEY!!! We should definitely celebrate 'Talk like a Pirate Day' because that date is also my Birthday! :D Which can also be considered a drinking holiday, I suppose.
Think about it, anyway, Tony! ;)
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Jennifer wrote:HEY!!! We should definitely celebrate 'Talk like a Pirate Day' because that date is also my Birthday! :D Which can also be considered a drinking holiday, I suppose.
Think about it, anyway, Tony! ;)

Arrrrrr, lass, I don't be needing much excuse to be talking like a pyrate, being known as Redbeard in me youth. Any excuse to be samplin' the grog and keel-haulin' the Timmies be fine by me. I'll even be drinkin' to Orange, much as might be causing me sainted grandmither to spin in her grave.

Oh, and congrats on having a birthday on a cool day - mine is on the "assassination of Julius Caesar Day". Beware the Ides of March!

Oh, hey, that's three hours from now!
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]