No 375 TLC!

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Dragon Master
Merchant

No 375 TLC!

Post by Dragon Master »

I want to protest a release of the Yellow Castle if there are plans, or try to stop plans from happening.

First off Yellow Castle is GREAT! It started it all. But there would be a plethora of problems. I'll discuss the most prominent.

1. Yellow- Yellow was ok back when grey and black weren't around. If yellow castle came back it wouldn't fit anywhere! Not even with the new KK knights. Most of us have lots of gray and yellow would have no place amound the stone castles.

2. Armor- The armor that the knights had was great for the time. But putting Yellow Castle out again would be a digression. The plate mail and even the breastplate are more accurate then the sheets that the people wore.

3. Horses- Block horses have no place in a world where the one-piece horses exist. Having a cavalry of 50 horses and 4 block horses would look terrible. Again it would be a digression.

4. Fraud- There could be many problems at auctions, shows, and bricklink. People trying to pass of the new Legend as the old. I see many problems considering the Classic sets are quite pricey to say the least.

5. Ok, this is my biggest argument. Yellow Castle is the biggest treasure in the castle world, and understandibly so. For those who had and still have it they cherish it. Eveyone wants one, I do. But a LEGEND is not the way to accuire one. Having thoushands more out there would cut the sentimental feelings about it. If there was a surplus it would not seems so special. And when the younger folk buy them they would have no idea of its value to the castle world, it would just be another set on the shelf. I'll give an example, take a classic car like the Ford Model T. What if they were to reproduce them nearly a century after the fist ones. That would make the old ones loose the "special" thing about them.

Please TLC if you have any plans on remaking this, don't. Another modular set from the 1980's would be much more welcomed.

Sincerly,

Dragon Master
Last edited by Dragon Master on Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jojo
Master

Re: No 375 TLC!

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Dragon Master wrote:Fraud- There could be many problems at auctions, shows, and bricklink. People trying to pass of the new Legend as the old. I see many problems considering the Classic sets are quite pricey to say the least.
Yep. That's already a problem with the existing Legend sets. For example people sell Black Falcon figures from the Legend 10039 set as "new Black Falcons" for prices that might be OK for original Black Falcon figs but not at all for those new ones. The new ones have a different emblem on their breast.
Ok, this is my biggest argument. Yellow Castle is the biggest treasure in the castle world, and understandibly so. For those who had and still have it they cherish it. Eveyone wants one, I do. But a LEGEND is not the way to accuire one. Having thoushands more out there would cut the sentimental feelings about it. If there was a surplus it would seems so special. And when the younger folk buy them they would have no idea of its value to the castle world, it would just be another set on the shelf. I'll give an exampl, take a classic car like the Ford Model T. What if they were to reproduce them nearly a century after the fist ones. That would make the old ones loose the "special" thing about them.
...and a very good argument this is. I agree wholeheartedly.

Bye
Jojo

Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Re: No 375 TLC!

Post by Bruce N H »

Dragon Master:
I want to protest a release of the Yellow Castle if there are plans, or try to stop plans from happening.
I'd disagree. My responses below:

Dragon Master:
1. Yellow- Yellow was ok back when grey and black weren't around. If yellow castle came back it wouldn't fit anywhere! Not even with the new KK knights. Most of us have lots of gray and yellow would have no place amound the stone castles.

While I would prefer a better color such as light or dark gray or tan (here someone did it in tan: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=249707 ), they didn't do it in yellow because gray did not exist at the time. 375 came out in the same year as the first Classic Space sets (1978), so gray existed. Yellow was a choice that they made. I'm not saying it was the best choice, but they did have reason other than no other color possibilities.

Dragon Master:
2. Armor- The armor that the knights had was great for the time. But putting Yellow Castle out again would be a digression. The plate mail and even the breastplate are more accurate then the sheets that the people wore.
I agree, but I think that misses the point of a Legend. A Legend isn't just a parts pack, it's an awesome set by itself.

Dragon Master:
3. Horses- Block horses have no place in a world where the one-piece horses exist. Having a cavalry of 50 horses and 4 block horses would look terrible. Again it would be a digression.
I'd say they should release it with block horses as that would be true to the Legend. One-piece horses are so plentiful that anyone concerned could easily replace them.

Dragon Master:
4. Fraud- There could be many problems at auctions, shows, and bricklink. People trying to pass of the new Legend as the old. I see many problems considering the Classic sets are quite pricey to say the least.
Okay, but you could do this anyway. I'm sure with some Bricklinking and my parts collection I could put together 375 (granted, this is an argument on your side that you didn't use for the lack of need of a 375 Legend) and put it up on e-bay saying that I had lost the box. But the secondary market isn't really TLC's concern. If it were they would commonly put out limited edition sets that would be immediate collectors' items and they would never do rereleases. Their job is to maximize their own profits, not those of e-bay merchants.

Dragon Master:
5. Ok, this is my biggest argument. Yellow Castle is the biggest treasure in the castle world, and understandibly so. For those who had and still have it they cherish it. Eveyone wants one, I do. But a LEGEND is not the way to accuire one. Having thoushands more out there would cut the sentimental feelings about it. If there was a surplus it would not seems so special. And when the younger folk buy them they would have no idea of its value to the castle world, it would just be another set on the shelf. I'll give an example, take a classic car like the Ford Model T. What if they were to reproduce them nearly a century after the fist ones. That would make the old ones loose the "special" thing about them.
I disagree. This is an argument based in elitism, IMHO. Kind of an "I got my 375 and I paid out a ton of cash, I don't want anyone else to have the fun." The point of the Legends line is exactly to put out some of the great sets that people wanted but couldn't get. Your argument is why they should not have a Legends line at all (which means no rereleased Guarded Inn, no BFF, etc.). Given that they have already decided to have a Legends line, this argument is moot. 375 is the definition of a Legend, IMO. It's a great design, awesome playability, and it started out the greatest theme in Lego history (IMO, of course). Plus it was out in 1978, with means there are AFOLs (not KFOLS) who were not even born when this was no longer available.

I would, however, agree that a compromise solution would be best, a Legend set that recreated the design of 375 in different colors--kind of the same way they rereleased a redesigned version of the X-Wing and soon he Millenium Falcon as ways to rerelease sets but give added value.

Bruce
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I agree with Bruce.

I had this set when I was a kid, but sadly a six year old does not care for their Lego the way an adult will. I would love to have this set, but I am willing not to buy it at the prices a well cared for set sells for on ebay.

Besides a lot of ebay Lego sellers are the kinds of people that go to our childhood homes when our parents have a garage sale and buy out our collections without us knowing.

Consider this scenario, I am off at college. My parents have a gargage sale. Some guy says are there any toys for sale that haven't been put out? Poof my old Star Wars stuff is gone for $500. Sure it seems like a good deal, $500 for some old toys, but My Star Wars collection was almost complete. I had almost every fig, accessory and ship that was made from the old movies. I also kept them in immaculate shape. Market value of my collection was well over $10,000. Thank god I took my Lego with me...

So to the point please do release the 375 as a Legend. I will buy a few, and maybe someone's collection won't find itself being sold off by shady ebay sellers. I will have to bricklink the old helmets and visors though. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

wlister wrote: Consider this scenario, I am off at college. My parents have a gargage sale. Some guy says are there any toys for sale that haven't been put out? Poof my old Star Wars stuff is gone for $500. Sure it seems like a good deal, $500 for some old toys, but My Star Wars collection was almost complete. I had almost every fig, accessory and ship that was made from the old movies. I also kept them in immaculate shape. Market value of my collection was well over $10,000. Thank god I took my Lego with me...
Will
dude :(

I mean ....

dude.. :cry:

ouch.

I feel your pain.

legofreak, sometimes starwarsfreak too.
Bruce N H

Post by Bruce N H »

Even worse is things just being thrown out. When my dad was a kid he collected baseball cards. This would be in the forties or so, so those would be worth a lot now. When I first started to learn about card collecting and the value of old cards I called my grandma and asked her if dad's old collection was around, but it had been thrown out year ago when my grandparents moved from the farm to a house in town. :(

Bruce
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Oh please, don't get me started on what got thrown out - the baseball card collection, the comic book collection (Spider-man #7, Fantastic Four #13, Avengers #1, X-Men #1....).

:cry:
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

It would be a great legenf, but I want 6086, I think they will do that one first =P

LR
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

I'd like to chime in -

I agree with Bruce's point: TLG is not and should not be about collectibility - it should be about playability.

I think 375 should be a Legend (re-done is grey or dark grey). Why? It is the only castle set that uses all bricks and no wall pieces. Wall pieces are bad, mmkay. It reaffirms TLG's committment to the basic brick, and that the only limitation is our imagination.

Besides - it would be the easiest and (hopefully) cheapest way to get grey bricks to build even larger castles.

No re-leasing a legend for collectibility reasons is dumb, IMHO. It only helps collectors and not those that play with their sets.

-lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Bruce N H

Post by Bruce N H »

On collectibility: Given that LEGO is inherently anonymous (that is, who knows what set this gray 2x2 plate came from), the only thing that is truly collectible is the box (an any truly exclusive elements, though those are fairly rare) (and even if something is rare today, like the original Princess Leia minifig, doesn't mean they won't release a set tomorrow with that fig. For instance, think what happened to the Bricklink price on a Darth Vader fig when he went from being only available in the TIE/Y set to being in that little 3 fig pack for under $10). So a rerelease doesn't even hurt true collectibility in that the rerelesed box and directions would be numbered differently (and in the case of 375, the helms would probably be different too). Aside from that it's just a bunch of yellow bricks.

Bruce
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

i agree with bruce.

i am not a selfish lego fan. i want all fans to have access to all sets at prices they can afford! lego is for everyone! :)