27%
Never! Pure Lego!
73%

Total votes: 45

Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Do You Use Megabloks in Lego Creations?

Post by Sir Smittens »

I don't mind using MB in my Lego creations. In fact, I find them especially useful if the colors don't match as support pieces that you don't really see...it saves more pieces for other spots.

--Caleb
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

in a word.. no

Not because i am high and mighty about clone bricks, i use tycho's all the time. Its about quality...

The megablocks just dont have the quality of lego... and you can't buy tychos anymore.

thats how it is for me.

Freak
RuthleSs__PaLadin
Apprentice

Post by RuthleSs__PaLadin »

I have never used any megablocks in my Lego MOCs. I don't think I have ever bought a Megablock set, not that I hate megablocks their sets never caught my atention. How are their brick by the way...cheaper?

I make sure I have enough bricks to build my MOCs before I start. So basically I only use pure lego, I don't mind giving minifgs customs (though).

Dan
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Heavens no, God's forbids :twisted:
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I never use clone bricks. My parents bought a few used lots of bricks for us as kids and I always disliked the clones because they didnt match and broke easily. I agree with freak that Tyco bricks were better than some clones. Recently with a brick lot, I threw out all of the clones :D

Ben E.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

NOOOOOOO!!!!! Never! There shall never be a mb in my creations! The day I find one, it dies! The same for any other non-Lego wannabe. So beware, fake bricks, to trespass in my constructions is perilous! :twisted:
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

Post by Rubberchickenknight »

i voted sometimes because i make M********* torturing machines. :twisted: i'm just adding the finishing touches on one i'm about to post. :twisted:
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." - Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Rubberchickenknight, you really shouldn't bother torturing yourself making mb torturing devices, the very existence of those clones can be torture. (Especially when TLC decides to move in their direction, rather than holding to their once-immaculate standard)
ACPin
Reeve

Post by ACPin »

Never did and never will!
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

:cry:
My name is Brian.....and I use mega-blocks.
Yeah, that's right.
Not all the time, just in bigger creations. You see, I got 4000 Mega-block bricks in a bulk, because it was infenetly cheaper than bulk lego. You can't tell if the blacks and reds are mega-blocks or lego anyway.
So, yeah, I will use megablocks, if I have a shortage of lego.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

NEVER!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

*declares war on Megabloks*
:twisted:
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I don't own any MEGABloks. Sometimes when I get a bunch of used parts somewhere there will be some MEGABloks mixed in, but I always pick them out and donate them to charity.

All of my parts are LEGO and I prefer to just stick with LEGO. I know some people say MEGABloks are fine for supports and stuff that are hidden in a creation, but you can just as easily use the colors that don't fit in your MOC for such things. For example, I often use my orange bricks for supports and stuff.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I did at one time purchase a tin of Vorgans to check them out and I was rather surprised how cool they were. This surprise wore off quickly and I realized that even at the great price point, I wouldn't want to make an army of them. I ended up giving them away to a neighbour kid who owned more Megabloks. I don't have the utter distain for Megabloks the way some do. They offer a building system to kids and their parents who can't afford to buy Lego, kids buidling with blocks etc... and expanding their creativity is a good thing regardless of the company who makes it. TLC has not shown much loyalty to its customers and I do not feel I owe them any.

That said I will not and have not used Megabloks in any of my creations this is strictly due to plastic quality though, the sets look better and are priced better. If the plastic/part quality was also better we'd all be buying Megabloks instead of Lego. Just my thought anyway...

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Lord Resta
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Resta »

I would use minifigs from megablocks, but the peices I keep together. I only have 2 sets of theirs. 1 is lost. Te other, with cool electric bits, is still all together on an ottoman. wouldn't mix the blocks from mb and lego any day unless they became both of the same quality (i.e. MB to lego's standards). Just my 2 pennies.
Look to my coming, on the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East...

-Gandalf the White, The Two Towers.
fosterbengoshi
Gong Farmer

Post by fosterbengoshi »

I agree with Brian. I am not ashamed to come out of the closet and say I use clones once in a while. Tyco and MB offer some different colors than Lego, and they seem to keep their brightness longer than Lego. Unlike Lego, for example, they don't seem to yellow with age as quickly. I have also never had any problem fitting them together with other Lego bricks. They snap flush and clean together. And they are a LOT cheaper than Lego - by more than half. Is that because they are of cheaper quality? I tend to think the price difference is mainly because Lego spends a lot more on marketing (which has been very successful in convincing a lot of people - the same people who think they must have Armani jeans instead of Levis). Think how many Lego ads you see for every MB ad. Those ads cost money and that cost, my friends, is passed on to you the customer. IT's like RC cola and Pepsi. RC cola is a much tastier product than Pepsi, but costs a lot less (mainly because they don't spend billions of dollars a year on celebrity endorsements by child molestors and superbowl ads). In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. But to criticisze a person or MOC for using clones is arrogant and snobbish. So long as the MOC is attractive, shows creativity and was fun to make, who cares what brand bricks were used. That said, what I build privately versus for public exhibition does, indeed, take into consideration brick brand. This is not being hypocritical. Rather it recognizes that some people (and contest judges) are prejudiced against clones and will give a really great MOC less credit simply because clones were used. That is not right in my book, but it is something you still have to anticipate whenever you do a MOC for contests or public exhibition. Nuff said for now.
Foster