New Horses VS Old Horses

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Wilfred of Ivanhoe
Peasant

New Horses VS Old Horses

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

I haven't seen a discussion of this anywhere, so I though it would be interesting to see what everyone thought. The "new" style of horse has been around for a while now. The "old" style has been around quite a bit longer. Which type of horse is the best/coolest? Which type do you prefer? What goes best with the castle theme? Just want to see what everyone else thinks. Feel free to discuss any Lego horse variations if you like (brick-built, printed, Belville, skeletal, pony, Toy Story, etc.). Are these better yet?

Image Image
New Horse ; Old Horse
Sir Valiant
Archer

Re: New Horses VS Old Horses

Post by Sir Valiant »

Great topic of choice Wilfred!

I have only been able to own 1 of the new horses, while I own quite few of the old ones. I really like the update TLG has give the horse, my favorite part being that it can rear up on its hind legs! This has been a huge plus for posing and creating a sense of action in building a scene. Also they put a little more detail into a smoother shaping of the head and having the front leg raised slightly off the ground.

As to the old horse, it will always be a classic, has great appearance and so forth. I think that whatever the old horse was lacking they made betting the new one except for one thing. This old horse looks way better in my opinion in "horse armor" (if you can call it that!) :)
It looks less junior-ized and far more imposing in battle. This is the only detriment for the new horse other than that they are both great to me.

There is no clear winner or better horse in my books, I use them both and like both of their appearances. Probably the best thing about them is that they look ok side by side which is a huge plus.

Sir Valiant~
"Soli Deo Gloria"
Sir Valiant~ ----------[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93632612@N08/]Flickr[/url]
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

I prefer the new horse, but have a place in my heart for the classic horse. What I like about the new one is that the shaping and design is more streamlined and realistic, yet it retains the basic feel of the classic one. I also like the poseability, with the hinge you can have it rear up or be galloping.
andhe
Barber-Surgeon

Post by andhe »

I think the new poseability is a great improvement. It can add a decent interpretation of movement that the old horse couldn't. I think the old horse still works well as a slwo-moving 'work-horse' and looks better and more suited to pulling wagons etc than the new slimmer horse does.

I'd agree that the old horse also looks better than the new one when armoured, due to the bulkiness.

I also really like my dappled grey (old style) horse that I got in the Mill Village raid set. So I did find it odd that they FINALLY made a new colour horse (ie not black/brown/white) only to change the style of the horse almost immediately afterward, meaning we'd never get to see an variation or use of the grey one.
Less talking, more MOCing.

https://www.instagram.com/classicstylecastle/