Pole Arms: Chauves Souris and Partizan

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Pole Arms: Chauves Souris and Partizan

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Over on the MOC Custom Weapons thread, I saw something I dubbed the "Bat-L-Axe" (Vampire Axe), and the wheels started turning. They just kind of drove off-road. :D

Intending to cut off the bat head and carve it into more of a point, I found out that there is a hollow up through the neck. I could either plug it with Sculpey or drill it out so that I could socket in some part. I remembered the Chauves Souris pole arm and went for that.

There's a whole set of closely related pole arms that use a long central blade, and two smaller projecting blades vaguely coming off at 45 degrees just below the central blade. The Korseke uses straight triangular shaped blades, and the Runka uses side blades that curve towards the point.

Chauves Souris: This is basically a Korseke with the addition of 1-3 points projecting off the bottom of the two side blades. They kinda look like bat wings. If that didn't make a light go off over my head, the name certainly did (Chauve-Souris is french for "bat").

Simply thrusting a spear up through the socket and widened hole worked great, but it looked a bit short and heavy in comparison to the other pole arms, so I chopped off a spear head and used an "umbrella stand" pole. The spear head had to be glued since the hole I drilled didn't provide enough grip.

Partizan: This is like a Runka, but it often uses an ox-tongued blade (the spearhead edges run parallel rather than purely tringular). A straight chop-job on the Adventurers multi-headed pole arm yielded this version. I have versions where I left on some jagged parts of the two lower blades since some versions of the Partizan and Runka have rear projecting small spikes.

My glaive and a somewhat shortened Jeff's Little Armory pole arm are in the background for comparison.

Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

Clever use of the bat wings, very nice.
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I love your bat weapon. I'd like to make a couple, but unfortunately I have far too few bats and black spears to let them go under the knife.
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

Awesome weapons! twotonic your awesome!
Alan
good times
brian
Freeman

Post by brian »

Very clever!! I really like the bat pole/spear. Just looking at it makes me want to refit my evil armies with them! Great job!
" Black Falcon High football team rules!"
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

Post by Rubberchickenknight »

I would make one if i had more bats but i only have 2 :( and i like my bataxe as well:viewtopic.php?t=1237&start=30&sid=008ae ... 8ab88aa719
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." - Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Dude - this batspear/thingie.... is AWESOME!
I love it. If I had more black spears I'd do some too.
I may have to try your shortened version since I never use the bats though.

:D

freak
PorteusMaximus
Serf

Post by PorteusMaximus »

Yea! I love how you're "cuttin' stuff up so we don't have to".
You might even want to consider writing up an article on all of the various 'cuttings' you have made. It would be great to have all of your pictures in one place. I think they are all great, and if you don't mind, I plan on 'stealing' :) some of your ideas to add some flavor to my existing troops. Thanks, and please keep this stuff up...
- Po...
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

PorteusMaximus wrote:Yea! I love how you're "cuttin' stuff up so we don't have to".
You might even want to consider writing up an article on all of the various 'cuttings' you have made. It would be great to have all of your pictures in one place. I think they are all great, and if you don't mind, I plan on 'stealing' :) some of your ideas to add some flavor to my existing troops. Thanks, and please keep this stuff up...
I keep meaning to write them all up, but instead I just push on to the next project. One of these days...

Anyone may feel free to use, improve upon, or be inspired to some tangent by anything I present here. I have drawn inspiration from various people's sticker designs, and even my recent Glaive and Chauves Souris have been tangents drawn from others use or modification of an existing part.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

Post by Rubberchickenknight »

Yesss!!!! :D I'm saved!!! :D I found another bat in my bin of spare parts so i'll make that cool thing
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." - Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Very cool TwoTonic. Unfortunantly I don't have any bats so I can't make one :cry: .
Space rocks.