Stickers!?!

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme

Do you or would you use stickers on your legos?

I do / would use stickers
94%
I do NOT use stickers
6%

Total votes: 33

Ramus
Laborer

Stickers!?!

Post by Ramus »

Throughout these forums I have seen alot of members in dislike / disagreement of using stickers. (Custom, non-Lego)

I personally like the idea of the use of stickers. It gives one the opportunity to expand their Lego universe past the confines of the "Official".

Anyway, I was just wondering. Hope this does not relate too closely to other polls / posts (as to not be repetitive).
:D

Please vote & post any advantages or disadvantages you may see.

-- Ramus
Ramus
Laborer

Post by Ramus »

Advantages:
- Gives one the oppertunity to expand past the official
- Not permenant (an hour soak in soapy water & they come right off) Dont know if the same is true for decals
- Can make a good hobby that parallels your lego building
- Many uses (torsos, faces, flags, shields & more)

Disadvantages:
- Time consuming
- Can be expensive

-- Ramus
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Ramus wrote:Advantages:
- Gives one the oppertunity to expand past the official
- Not permenant (an hour soak in soapy water & they come right off) Dont know if the same is true for decals
- Can make a good hobby that parallels your lego building
- Many uses (torsos, faces, flags, shields & more)

Disadvantages:
- Time consuming
- Can be expensive

-- Ramus
Ok - gotta disagree, - it's no more time consuming than playing with lego in the first place. It's like any hobby you enjoy. If you do it and you like it, it's all worthwhile. And as for expensive, you can print a sheet on regular paper and get a boat load of torsos for about .89, plus the glue stick at a .99 cent store, and you're golden.
The only disadvantage (to me) is that they aren't real Lego...
oh well.

freak.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Since some castle Lego sets had stickers, like 375 Yellow Castle, I do not have a problem with stickers.

Stickers that are trimmed poorly, have poor printing, or attached improperly can look bad. But I like the variety that can be added to castle with stickers.

Ben E.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I am a sticker (that is, I stick things to my torsos, flags, shields, and other LEGO items). In fact, my avatar is taken directly from a sticker design for my royal guard.

I have to agree that sticker design, printing, and application is time-consuming, but I don't think that it is especially expensive, unless you go for the really classy materials.

Sticker design is really useful for your own worlds/realms, in that you cease to be limited to the official Lego emblems. It is also instrumental in the creation of supplemental factions, or in the enlargement of pre-existing factions.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Lego company for years used stickers and not what they use now (what are those, decal, a form of paint--what?). Any way they are not permanent. You can cover up an undesirable torso with a desirable one, but have the option to go back as long as Brasso didn't come into the picture :wink:

They are great for any number of things from army building to reclaining lost factions. I just wish I could do better ones.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Because there aren't enough... no, any castle sets on the market right now, I find it necessary to use stickers. Ebay just gets way too expensive after a while, so I use stickers to make Black Falcon shields and peasant torsos (especially for females).
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

I voted yes. Stickers alow a clean way of using those worthless space suites and using them for castle.
Space rocks.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I like stickers. Don't use them a lot, but it is nice to have a bit of variety. And I love the possiblity of making more castle shirts if I need them.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

I use stickers on almost every castle minifig I make (I don't have alot of midieval-looking torsos). Anthony Sava's article on minifig torso stickers was a big help to me in making stickers. Bu I have done a few on my own (My avatar/sigfig) that are completely unique.
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"