BrickArms News and Notes

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
the enigma that is badger
Apprentice

Re: BrickArms Polearms - Will Needs *YOUR* Feedback!

Post by the enigma that is badger »

Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone! Really, Will had a great time working on these items, and I can't tell you all how happy he was that so many seemed to truly enjoy them at BrickCon! The reception they're getting online is also much bigger than was predicted, and while Will is still considering taking these designs to the mass production level, the degree to which everyone seems to like them is definitely being taken into consideration.

If there's anyone else in the CC community that would like to see these items, I'd encourage you to post to let Will know!
andhe wrote:Is the blade seperate from the handle or part of the moulding though?
JoshWedin wrote:No, this one is over-molded. Two different colors but all one piece. Will has also made them in one color.
Yep, Josh is correct! In most of the injections, the Cimmerian PixAxe was overmolded onto a red-brown or black LEGO 4L bar. Will and I also did a few injections were no bar was inserted into the mold, resulting in a solid colored item. Here's one of the neater examples where different colored plastics were mixed together in the same injection for a "rusty" look:

However, it would be possible for an slide to be used to create a PickAxe head with open brackets into which a grippable bar could be slid, creating the same effect as with the overmolded items. Would this be something everyone would prefer to see, or would a solid PickAxe (same color axe head and handle) be acceptable?
For no one, no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
[url=http://flickr.com/photos/enigmabadger/]Flickr[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I think from what I've seen as far as feedback goes, one of the things people really like about these is that they're two-toned. The other thing people seem to like is the ability to customize the length of the shaft of the "toppable" weapons you released, so having an option like that with this one would also be well-received, I think.
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
divonic
Laborer

Post by divonic »

AK_Brickster wrote:I think from what I've seen as far as feedback goes, one of the things people really like about these is that they're two-toned. The other thing people seem to like is the ability to customize the length of the shaft of the "toppable" weapons you released, so having an option like that with this one would also be well-received, I think.
agreed.

the design of the axe will limit the number of hafts that it will work with. the 6L bar with stop ring would work but with the ring at the bottom which some people may be adverse to. that being said I wouldn't change the design of the axe so that it could accept the 6L w ring bar but leave it as is. I really like the separate topper and haft concept.
Apprentice

divonic wrote:the design of the axe will limit the number of hafts that it will work with.
It looks pretty good to me!

The bar doesn't go completely through the second loop in the axe head, but it just meets the bottom of it, completing the effect. The grip the first loop has is more than enough to secure the head to bar.

Also neat: while I was playing around with the Cimmerian PickAxe on the 6L bar, I came up with this arrangement by flipping the axe head around and adding a BrickArms Bayonet to the top:

Makes for a nice halberd! It would likely look nicer with a Bayonet of the same color as the axe head, but that's the only one I have that wasn't overmolded over a 4L bar and I don't have any Bayonet that match it.
For no one, no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
BiggerJim
Apprentice

Post by BiggerJim »

Loving all of this! Pole arms and axes will we a great addition of our armies!
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=biggerjim]My store[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/biggerjim/]My Flickr[/url]
MOC's come and go....But sorting is forever.
Shadowviking
Councilor

Post by Shadowviking »

That makes a better halberd than your actual halberd.
...and that's how Equestria was made!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/people/shadowviking/]flickr[/url] | [url=http://receptacle.tumblr.com/]tumblr[/url] | [url=http://tellers-tales.wikidot.com/]teller's tales[/url]
Apprentice

Shadowviking wrote:That makes a better halberd than your actual halberd.
I wouldn't say better, just markedly different. The BrickArms Halberd is more realistically scaled to the minifig and has a more authentic historical design. The combination of the Cimmerian PickAxe and the Bayonet is a bit oversized but has a nice fantasy feel to its shape. Really, with the variation in halberd designs, I'd say both would work well!

That, and I really wouldn't call either mine; I'm just using the awesome parts that Will Chapman has provided me with! Really, apart from how great these items are themselves, it was truly fun watching Will take suggestions directly from key Classic-Castle staff, design and prototype new items based on those suggestions, and then surprise those same people at BrickCon with the new prototypes. Really, for someone that doesn't focus on castle-based accessories as often, I think Will's more than shown it's a genre of accessories he can design some truly impressive and useful parts for!
Shadowviking
Councilor

Post by Shadowviking »

That's just my opinion; you can take it or leave it, but the halberd piece has odd proportions. A little oversizing is natural in LEGO, and it's a good example of why: the standard grippable rod is so big that putting anything scaled "realistically" on the end of one kills the aesthetic.

Oh, and I appreciate your taking any chance to expound on Will's personal prowess and his collaboration with others, but when I say your, I mean Brickarms', and you are rather inescapably linked with them are you not? :)
Last edited by Shadowviking on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraslund
Robin Goodfellow

Post by Fraslund »

I love what you have come up with. That looks more in line with what I was thinking as far as a Halberd, (fantasy feel) but both look great honestly.

I was active for a bit on the brickarms forums giving suggestions for castle themed weapons, but I wasnt sure there was an interest in anything I was suggesting. Much to my (our) delight there clearly was!

I already thanked Will personally, but I just wanted to reiterate how much we appreciated the level of quality and detail he puts into his work. It makes it very hard for to be a purist when talking about brickarms parts. I myself use them as if they were made by the big L. =)
Apprentice

Shadowviking wrote:A little oversizing is natural in LEGO
The feedback is appreciated, but Will has already experimented with larger scaled versions; they just didn't seem to fit the minifig scale. A halberd too large makes it appear as if the minifig has the forearm strength that Popeye would envy! All in all, Will's happy with the scale for the Halberd as it is.
Shadowviking wrote: when I say your, I mean Brickarms', and you are rather inescapably linked with them are you not?
Yes, I'm (rather proudly!) the BrickArms official spokesman, but I'll admit I feel a bit uncomfortable when builders say "you" to me when they really mean BrickArms or Will. I know how much hard work, time, and resources Will puts into designing and producing BrickArms, and I really like folks to know that if they like BrickArms, Will's the sole person they should thank! I just get the fun task of sharing the news with everyone ;)
Fraslund wrote:I was active for a bit on the brickarms forums giving suggestions for castle themed weapons, but I wasnt sure there was an interest in anything I was suggesting. Much to my (our) delight there clearly was!
Glad you like them, and while Castle accessories aren't likely to be Will's primary focus, I'd definitely encourage you to suggest those kind of items on the new BrickArms Forums. Will definitely reads them, and regardless of the genre of an idea, if he likes it, he'll design it!
Shadowviking
Councilor

Post by Shadowviking »

Ah yes, I can understand your being uncomfortable with the association. :)
Apprentice

Shadowviking wrote:I can understand your being uncomfortable with the association.
Sorry if that wasn't clear: I'm not uncomfortable at all with my association with BrickArms (I love every minute of it!), just when folks seem to imply I should be given any credit for or am responsible at all for how great they are. That's 100% Will's work, and all the kudos should be directed to him!

At this point, I'd ask everyone to focus their posts on the new BrickArms Castle prototypes, just to keep the thread on-track. What I posted earlier still definitely applies: if these are items you'd like to see as part of the BrickArms line-up, please post here to let Will know!
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

These all look pretty good, and I particularly think that the Cimmerian Pickaxe a) was perfectly named and b) really works better as an attachment than as a complete/"overmolded"(?) piece.
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

I like the Pick Axe better as the clip on, and I think that it would be pretty cool in black.
Just sayin'
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]
divonic
Laborer

Post by divonic »

Oh good, it looked like that piece wasn't going to fit.
the enigma that is badger wrote:
divonic wrote:the design of the axe will limit the number of hafts that it will work with.
It looks pretty good to me!

The bar doesn't go completely through the second loop in the axe head, but it just meets the bottom of it, completing the effect. The grip the first loop has is more than enough to secure the head to bar.

Also neat: while I was playing around with the Cimmerian PickAxe on the 6L bar, I came up with this arrangement by flipping the axe head around and adding a BrickArms Bayonet to the top:

Makes for a nice halberd! It would likely look nicer with a Bayonet of the same color as the axe head, but that's the only one I have that wasn't overmolded over a 4L bar and I don't have any Bayonet that match it.