Showing off...

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Very, very, nice work Red Bean, you really have a talent for making desirable helemts. You weapons are nice too, but the helmet designs are definitly in a class by themselves. Hopefully at some point you will have the chance to market all of your excellent designs to the public. I'd definitly stand in line to get a few of these. As long as the minifigs can see, I see no problems with the design. Most helmets designed by TLC are too thick as well, so it would fit in with the rest of the existing helms. Again nice work,

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

I assume that you are aiming for the classic corinthian helmet rather than than earlier Greek styles, so the comments are predicated on that assumption.

Oh heck, a picture is worth a thousand words....

Note the descent of the cheek guard below the jaw line, the straighter lines, the symmetry of the crest, the pointed edge of the eye hole, the move forward of the ear hole/jawline of cheek guard. In general, from below the top skull line, the helmet lines should descend in straighter lines (indicated at the front and back in this picture).

I was going to do the front view, but I'm clone stamped to death for now.

Edit in: Oh, and I hope it was okay to use the picture on your web site, modify it, and post it on brickshelf! I should have asked - if you want me to remove it please let me know! :oops:
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Nice helment. You should go into the market. If you want my opion, I would say that the back of it dosen't go quite far enough. :)
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Hi TTK,

Great rendition of the helm, many thanks!! A picture is really better than a thousand words!!

For the plume, I like what I see and I will definitely try to modify it to this when I have some times again. But for the cheek guard, I actually had it looking like that originally (I wish I had taken some pictures then), but then I ran into a problem which is the minifig won't be able to turn its head (kind of like Qui-Gonn's hairpiece), and he also won't be able to put on a suit of armor, that's why I changed it to the way it is now. Actually, I think I will go and start a poll now and ask the community whether they think this is important or not. But thanks a bunch again for the recommendations, TTK!!

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

Aesthetics are everything, imo. You can only sacrifice the
looks but so much, while retaining "playability".

I liked the one you did, but TTK's tweaks really make the difference for something more authentically designed.

It's a tough choice, I know.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

As I said, some recommendations won't float for reasons of practicality. :D

However, I do have a Thracian helmet (as in Greece, not gladiator) that I am kinda sorta working on. It's cut from a "bullet" helmet, and I can get the cheek pieces to come down fairly low and still not really have a problem with armor. Basically, I think the projections can come down to the bottom of the neck, but no further (literally no further than a bullet helm would sit). From there, the head is displaced upwards by any armor the same distance that most helmets need to clear the armor.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

RedBean, keep the design. Its not a Corinthian Helmet, but it is of Chalcidian design. I was looking through my "Warfare in the Classical World" book and saw a helmet just like that. However, you DO need to make that plume much longer.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]