An Ambitious Project

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

An Ambitious Project

Post by LEGOFREAK »

From Left to Right
#613 Per pale dancetty argent and sable overall a bendlet gules bezanty - Jeoffrois Le Seneschax d'Achi le Boine
#532 Or a tower gules - Landry de La Tour
#534 Barry of six or and azure per pale counterchanged a chief paly of four two girons of the first and second an escutcheon argent - Renaud de Pressigny Sire de Bridore
#535 Barry of six or and azure per pale counterchanged a chief paly of four two girons of the first and second an escutcheon argent overall a bendlet gules - Josbert de Pressigny
#643 Or two bars indented gules a label vert - Gerard de Kerpen

Hey - Just thought I would mention a little project I have been working on.

went to Brian Timms Early Rolls of Arms. over four thousand coats of arms. (Ok there are a lot of simiilar ones, and a lot of families, so maybe two and a half thousand different ones)

And I decided to make every one of them into a lego shield. Ok, so I don't have enough shields, but you know, you get the idea. Some of these are going to be a little different (for instance a border of birds loses its definition at a centimeter and a half) but I will try to get them as accurate as possible. :D

IF anyone is interested in pics, or a specific one, or even a MSWord document suitable to print out, either post here or PM me.

Here are some more samples...
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thele ... lls_01.jpg
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: An Ambitious Project

Post by footsteps »

Sanctified Bovine!!!!!

Go Freak Go.

Alan

PS I may send you something for my own family crest.
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

What are the dimensions on your shields? I've found a number of people's run too small and I have to stretch them a bit.

There is a basic problem that has developed with me and custom shields. Now I have to make a matching custom barding, custom cloak, custom banner, and chose a matching color scheme with arms, legs, helmets, and torsos.

Anyway, beautifully done. Keep 'em coming! PDF files?
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Lord Resta
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Resta »

So you make them for family names eh? Like Brown or Smith? THis could come in handy... :)
Look to my coming, on the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East...

-Gandalf the White, The Two Towers.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

These are great. Talk about a day to find new stickers! I like these a lot, although I don't really think I could ever use them. My figs all use non-standard designs, neither authentic real-life ones, nor authentic Lego ones (although some of the Lego ones are close enoguh that I haven't seen a point to changing them).

As for my own coat of arms, I already know what it is:

"The Joosten Coat of Arms heraldry is officially documented in Rietstap's Armorial General. The original description of the Arms is as follows:

"De gu. A neuf los. Accolees en aboutees d'arg., 3,3 et 3."
When translated the blazon also describes the original colours of the Joosten arms as:
"Red; nine silver diamonds placed side by side, the ends touching, placed three over three."

~A Quotation from the World Book of Joostens~ :wink:
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Thanks Alan, took me a minute to figure out your post. :D
TTK - I make them all in bitmaps, pretty large, but when i actually go to print them out i put them in a word document, and then resize them to 1.55 to 1.57 cm. this allows just a teeny bit extra for trimming. I intend to print my next batch on photo paper, inspired by you. And I also so want to make matching torsos, flags, ovals, etc... but i won't. (ok, maybe for the kings :D)
Lord Resta - I can, its no problem, just let me know.

and sir joosten:

Thanks for the tip. I may have to get that book... (I do like the black and white illustrations on the companion one though.. *drool*)
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Yes! You have it exactly. That's precisely how it has always looked. Amazing how heraldry freaks (in a way rather similar to Lego freaks) have a language all their own. A code. What's more, it actually makes sense once you understand it.

BTW, I don't think that my maternal side has a coat of arms. Goodness knows that they shouldn't. They only got around to owning land once they moved to Canada.

However, on the Dutch side of the family, other than Joosten, there were also the Coppens. Any idea what their emblem was. The Book of Joostens, being about Joostens only, doesn't say. :D
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

The following is from a heraldic search for last names. Of course most of the stuff on the net is bogus. :D

COPPENS
Origin Displayed: English
Spelling variations include: Coppinger, Coppenger, Copenger, Copinger, Coppynger, Copinsher and many more.
First found in Suffolk where they were seated from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Some of the first settlers of this name or some of its variants were: John Coppinger who settled in the Barbados in 1680; Matthew Coppinger who settled in New England in 1675; Mrs. Copinsher settled in Boston in 1744.

Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

Ooooh ooooh oooh! Do Martin! Do Martin!

C'mon, please? :D

Great job Freak...I see what you mean by "ambitious." This should take you...what, 20 years? :D

I can't wait to see more!

--Caleb
Philosophies of my life:

"A PC turned off is better than a PC turned on"

"It's not about who wins...it's about who gets to gloat after they win."
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

this one is worth three on my project.

#289 Argent two bars gules - William Martin (without the label)
#492 Argent two bars gules a label azure - Nicolas Martin
#1341 Argent two bars gules a label azure - William Martin

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Okay, I think I've aksed enough already, but I am getting really curious. I know that the German side of the family was probably peasants, but the name means 'Gardner' in English, I think. Is there a Gardner CofA? :D
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

OOOOOO. looks great. Keep it up.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Formendacil wrote:Okay, I think I've aksed enough already, but I am getting really curious. I know that the German side of the family was probably peasants, but the name means 'Gardner' in English, I think. Is there a Gardner CofA? :D
I found one in my Blazons program, under Gardner Aure a griffon rampant or (but it doesnt tell me which Gardner)
http://www.google.com/ - if you find one let me know and I will make it for you :D
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: An Ambitious Project

Post by footsteps »

footsteps wrote:Sanctified Bovine!!!!!

Go Freak Go.

Alan

PS I may send you something for my own family crest.
Okay, here's a possible link:
http://www.myclan.com/clans/Farquharson_35/default.php

Hopefully there's enough there for you to work on (if you choose to make a go of it of course).

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

Yay!

Its also funny, because my cousin is named "Will"!

Small world, eh?

--Caleb
Philosophies of my life:

"A PC turned off is better than a PC turned on"

"It's not about who wins...it's about who gets to gloat after they win."