Some custom shields... .::Updated 2/27/04::.

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Rs_Conqueror
Peasant

Some custom shields... .::Updated 2/27/04::.

Post by Rs_Conqueror »

Yes I was really bored :wink:
^ That was stolen from my family coat-of-arms. ^
^ A re-designed forester shield. ^
^ I don't know why I made this but its my favorite :D ^
^ Some stolen clip-art, a little coloring and there we are :)^
I would love some feedback on these.
Update 2/27/04
scroll down for update
Last edited by Rs_Conqueror on Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ RS
lack of parts = innovation
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Cool sheilds man! I like how you incorporated your family's coat of arms into a sheild. I want to do that for my family's coat of arms too. I like the "frog" helemt one too.

Good Job,

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Excellent!

Great Job dude. I always love to see custom shields. :D

LF
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Thank you for wasting my morning! :D At GenCon (west) a guy was there in full Agincourt armor, so I looked at that clip art helmet, and just had to start retouching it a little, just to get an idea. And then a little more, and a little more...

And then I decided it didn't match the border, so I had to get rid of that. Then I wanted the color cross on a metal field, and then widen the crossbar closer to the down bar, and then the crown had to have the reflective metal look...

A helm, airbrushed?

Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Rs_Conqueror
Peasant

Post by Rs_Conqueror »

wow... :shock:

thats... well..erm... AWSOME!!!
~ RS
Christopher McCleerey
Peasant

Post by Christopher McCleerey »

Your favorite is my favorite also.
Kinda says "badass blade master". 8)

C
A cartographer's end:
"Here be dragons!"
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

Very nice shields, RS and TwoTonic. How exactly did you get the reflective look, TwoTonic?
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Bricksidge wrote:Very nice shields, RS and TwoTonic. How exactly did you get the reflective look, TwoTonic?
Kind of the opposite of Christopher McCleerey's unicorn shield? He simplified (wonderfully) and I rendered to death. :D

I took the basic shield posted by RS and used photoshop. Then I mostly used the airbrush tool and rendered away. Unless I was wiping out the heavy interior black lines, I kept the pressure setting very low (8-16%). The traditional way to use a (real) airbrush is to build the color up slowly in a controlled fashion rather than try and get it right in one pass, though I do have the luxury of an "undo" button on a computer. It would help to have a pressure sensitive pen and tablet, but I used a standard mouse.

For the helmet, I used basically five colors (lazily chosen from the "swatches" drop down): middle gray, black, white, blue and brown (though I went to a lighter or darked blue or brown as called for, they were essentially the same hue). Anything angled "down" got a touch of warm earth color (dirt), anything angled "up" received some cool blue (sky). The crown was yellow, light orange, dark brown for contrast, and some white to punch up the highlights.

Metals usually have high contrast - extremes of light and dark, depending on what they are reflecting. You can make something look really bright by placing it next to something extremely dark. I used my shiny brass doorknob as inspiration (it's mostly dark from where I am sitting with a few very bright highlights).

The actual reflections were the crown on the top of the helmet, and the helmet in the collar. You just kind of have to imagine the angle that they are coming from and work from there. I could have added the reflection of the collar into the lower helmet, but I thought it would make an area that was already too busy even busier. Further, the angle was such that it might not reflect back to viewer, so I just went for a general shiny look there.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Christopher McCleerey
Peasant

Post by Christopher McCleerey »

Great job on that helm TwoTonic. 8) Looks darn near photo-realistic!

Yah, it is somewhat the oppisite direction of mine, isn't it. :lol:

Anyone want to blazon RS's and TwoTonic's shields? I'm not so good at that yet. :wink:

C
A cartographer's end:
"Here be dragons!"
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

:D I PICK UP THY GAUNTLET SIR KNIGHT; FOR IF EVER THERE WAS A CHALLENGE IT BE THUS!

*AHEM*

SHIELD THE FIRST:
GULES A CHEVRON NEBULY OR BETWEEN THREE FALCONS ARGENT, A MULLET OF SIX POINTS OF THE FIRST IN CHIEF
(note: I am not sure of the birds, they are kinda unclear, from the pose it could be a falcon... the chevrons border I am also unclear on.. it looks like a very open spaced nebuly.)

SHIELD THE SECOND:
VERT A SALTIRE BROWN A BUCKS HEAD AT GAZE PROPER
(shame on you for using brown...)

SHIELD THE THIRD:
SABLE A BORDURE GRAY TWO SABRES OF THE SECOND CROSSED IN SALTIRE OVERALL A SKULL ARGENT IMPALED UPON A GREATSWORD OF THE LAST.
(too many shades of gray. tch tch.)

SHIELD THE FOURTH:
AZURE A CROSS VERT A BORDURE DARK GRAY OVERALL A TILTING HELM PROPER CROWNED OR.
(naughty naughty dark gray again!)

SHIELD THE LAST:
ARGENT A CROSS VERT OVERALL A TILTING HELM PROPER CROWNED OR

:D *WHEW*

Stephen - please correct me on any mistakes... There are bound to be a couple in here.. :lol:

LF
Rs_Conqueror
Peasant

Post by Rs_Conqueror »

SHIELD THE FIRST:
GULES A CHEVRON NEBULY OR BETWEEN THREE FALCONS ARGENT, A MULLET OF SIX POINTS OF THE FIRST IN CHIEF
(note: I am not sure of the birds, they are kinda unclear, from the pose it could be a falcon... the chevrons border I am also unclear on.. it looks like a very open spaced nebuly.)
Actually those are carrier Pigeons, one of my ansesters must have been a messanger of sorts...

SHIELD THE SECOND:
VERT A SALTIRE BROWN A BUCKS HEAD AT GAZE PROPER
(shame on you for using brown...)
Just using lego colors...
SHIELD THE THIRD:
SABLE A BORDURE GRAY TWO SABRES OF THE SECOND CROSSED IN SALTIRE OVERALL A SKULL ARGENT IMPALED UPON A GREATSWORD OF THE LAST.
(too many shades of gray. tch tch.)
Yes, true. I may change that later if your very very nice ;)
SHIELD THE FOURTH:
AZURE A CROSS VERT A BORDURE DARK GRAY OVERALL A TILTING HELM PROPER CROWNED OR.
(naughty naughty dark gray again!)
True true, I'll make that shade lighter...
SHIELD THE LAST:
ARGENT A CROSS VERT OVERALL A TILTING HELM PROPER CROWNED OR
I didn't make that one but I wish I had ;)

Thanks alot legofreak :)
~ RS
Rs_Conqueror
Peasant

Post by Rs_Conqueror »

Ok, so I had nothing better to do, so here are some updated shields...
The pirate shield redone in pov-rendering with a lighter gray boarder...

And the crownknight in a lighter gray boarder...

Hope yuh like em'
~ RS
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

not to bad, But if I may ask a question... How is the pirate shield going to look on one of the tini-tiny shields? I dont know if you will be able to see it very well. I kinda like it for some assaisins though.

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
Rs_Conqueror
Peasant

Update 2/27/04

Post by Rs_Conqueror »

Just completed this,
with the PSD::
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Elija ... ector1.psd
hope you likelike :D
~ RS
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

Wow, nice sheilds. I especially like the pirate one (was that inspired by Yarons revoloving skull :?:) of yours, and TTK's brushed up version of your crownknight sheild. If I wasn't desperately short of sheilds and helmets I'd print a few out.
By the way, TTK, can I have a link to your brickshelf folder? I forgot your username :x
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb