Red Bean's Torso Stickers on my minifigs!

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
adm_matthew
Journeyman

Red Bean's Torso Stickers on my minifigs!

Post by adm_matthew »

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mattc ... d-bean.jpg

After Downloading many of Red Bean's Torsos and Faces (and shields) I have taken pictures of the ones I have turned into Minifigs, and well, here they are! I hope you enjoy them :)
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

Looks pretty cool. I see you have one of those printers like me-doesn't print black, more light black than anything else.

As soon as I can work out several torsos stickers on one page and make a trip over to Bureau en Gros I'll try doing this on photo paper.
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Thanks for posting!

One question though: what kind of stickers are you using to print the faces on? Unless it's something to do with the lighting, they don't seem very transparent in the picture. See if you can find some computer printable transparent labels in your local stationary. And for your information (if you don't know already), the faq section on my website as a rough guideline on how to print the decals. It contains some basic information such as the kind of label papers to use, etc. :P

R. B.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

It looks good, great torsos Read Bean. The faces are a little off though, but its nice overall.

DM
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Dan_BL wrote:
As soon as I can work out several torsos stickers on one page and make a trip over to Bureau en Gros I'll try doing this on photo paper.
Actually, if you have a good printer and some very clear tape, you can use regular paper; just print out the stickers, tear off a piece of tape about twice as long as you'll need. Then, holding the tape at each end, place it over the sticker, making sure not to touch the sticky side of the tape that will be on the sticker; if you do it will leave finger-prints (you'll probably want to stick one end, then smooth the tape over the sticker-to-be). Then cut out and glue!

Mr. D

P.S. By the way, neat sig., Dan! On another note, your avatar needs a little help; it looks like it's wider for it's height than it should be.
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

Nice job.
adm_matthew
Journeyman

Post by adm_matthew »

Red Bean~ I am just using regular 'ole sticker paper, I'll see if next time I go to Wal*Mart if my mom 'll let me get some transparent paper. :)
Everyone Else~ Thanks :)
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

I'd suggest you print the faces at higher resolution... The yellow is way off...
adm_matthew
Journeyman

Post by adm_matthew »

Heh, thats the funny thing, the lower quality I print them at, the closer the color is to the original.. ( I printed it at highest quality)
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Mr. D wrote:Dan_BL wrote:
Actually, if you have a good printer and some very clear tape, you can use regular paper; just print out the stickers, tear off a piece of tape about twice as long as you'll need. Then, holding the tape at each end, place it over the sticker, making sure not to touch the sticky side of the tape that will be on the sticker; if you do it will leave finger-prints (you'll probably want to stick one end, then smooth the tape over the sticker-to-be). Then cut out and glue!
This is not as good as photo paper. The contrast and intensity is simply way down on regular paper, tape or no tape. Black looks gray, colors are washed out and pastel. I haven't tried transparent film, but anything that stops ink spread and over-absorbtion is probably good.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
groovyd2001
Peasant

Post by groovyd2001 »

There so pretty, exsept for the faces. :)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less then half of you half as well as you should Deserve

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/paluria/index.htm][img]http://www.freewebs.com/paluria/images/button1.JPG[/img][/url]
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

Unless I put a lot of time in to making faces (which I don't) I don't know that I really want to get into making custom lego faces. I'm not a LoTR fan, so I don't know that I need any new lego heads-they look just too tacky.

Whats that guy's name on BL, Custom Minifigures??? He seems to have some pretty nice high quality stuff. Of course I was never for paying $20 for one minifig! :evil: :twisted:
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

TwoTonic Knight, This has not been my experience, I have tried it both ways and the contrast and color is the same with regular and photo paper. I guess it depends on the printer. Or maybe I'm not using high-quallity photo paper. :D
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Mr. D wrote:TwoTonic Knight, This has not been my experience, I have tried it both ways and the contrast and color is the same with regular and photo paper. I guess it depends on the printer. Or maybe I'm not using high-quallity photo paper. :D

I suppose it can hinge on a number of things. If you are not using glossy photo paper (it should be very slick and shiny on one side, and that's the side you should be printing on) then you will get lesser results. The printer will also have an effect, but virtually any color printer will look better on top quality glossy photo paper or film.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

For those who feel like being bold, water-slide decals can provide a good alternative to stickers:

http://www.beldecal.com/inkjet_decals.cfm

These are more complicated to use (not to mention expensive) so it's not recommended to everyone. But if you're willing to be bold, then the results will be worth it. :lol:

R. B.