Hello from a Scottish newbie.

General USER announcements, such as introductions and away messages.
Lady Val
Villein

Hello from a Scottish newbie.

Post by Lady Val »

Hi!

I stumbled on this site while rummaging around Lugnet in search of information on the older Lego castles (and Pirates, but we won`t mention that here. ) I loved my Lego as a child, back in the late 60`s/early 70`s, so when I rediscovered it a few years back as an adult I spent a lot of time searching out as many of the Castles/Pirate ships as I could....and this was before Ebay, you understand. There wasn`t much information availible online at that point either, and assembling sets from a small grainy picture wasn`t fun, so as my kids came along one by one I tucked the Lego away again.

However the kids, now 10, 8 (and 2), have all got interested in Lego and as a fight back against the huge Lego train set and piles of Explorer/Ninja /Space/Western stuff, I`ve decided to ressucitate my Castles. I`ve got huge piles of Castle stuff (jumble sales/carboots etc) from the 90`s era and onwards as I just kept buying it when I saw it cheap. I don`t rate the later ones as highly.

Desperately needs sorted out though. I bought two huge mixed boxes the other month and it`s starting to make me feel guilty. Apart from Lugnet and BrickShelf, where`s the best place to look for info on Castle Lego from this era?

Oh yes, and are there any other old folk like me around here? (45.) And how many of you are female? I`m curious to see if I`m the only female middle-aged Lego Castle fan in the world..... :wink:
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Hello Val, and welcome to Classic-Castle!
Apart from Lugnet and BrickShelf, where`s the best place to look for info on Castle Lego from this era?
As far as I know, this would be the place. Some of the more recent instructions are not available online. There is also Brickset.com. The Links section of Classic-Castle may have more of what you are looking for as well.

I know there are a couple of females here, Stuifzand member #19, Jennifer member #143, and Duchessa member #148. Seems to me they may be around your age as well.
[/quote]
Troy T. Moore
Jojo
Master

Re: Hello from a Scottish newbie.

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Scotland the Brave!

Lady Val wrote:Apart from Lugnet and BrickShelf, where`s the best place to look for info on Castle Lego from this era?
That depends on what kind of info you are searching for.

Bye
Jojo

Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

All sorts of information/inspiration, JoJo There`s a lot more out there than there was eight years ago, when I last went looking!

I was hoping for some shortcut suggestions....and that Links page seems to be just that. (Took me while to find it though....me Luddite.....duuhh) Thanks, Troy!
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Welcome to Classic-Castle,

If you are looking for instructions, your best bet is currently Brickshelf, they has an almost complete library of instruction for all the older castle sets.

You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view a few of the instructions.

If you are interested in Buying instructions for sets, http://www.bricklink.com has thousands of online sellers who would have the instructions and or missing pieces you may be looking for. It takes a little bit of practice learning how to do all the searches, but eventually you will become very skilled at finding what you want. :D

Good luck with your sorting,

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Lady Val wrote:Oh yes, and are there any other old folk like me around here? (45.) And how many of you are female? I`m curious to see if I`m the only female middle-aged Lego Castle fan in the world..... :wink:
Well, hey. Finally someone who's certifiably older than me (42), and an auld wifie to boot! :wink:

So I'm curious... what part of Scotland are you in? My folks come from the Banffshire coast (Cullen & Portknockie) and a chunk of my relatives are still in that area (and scattered on down to the Kent coast).

Welcome to the madness. It's better than most and you'll actually feel normal around here.

Alan
(clan Farquharson :) )
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Lady Val wrote: Desperately needs sorted out though. I bought two huge mixed boxes the other month and it`s starting to make me feel guilty. Apart from Lugnet and BrickShelf, where`s the best place to look for info on Castle Lego from this era?
Lugnet is more American in flavor - perhaps someone from Britain might be able to recommend some resources that will make more sense (North America gets different set names, for instance). For Castles specifically, this is about a good a place as any to toss out any questions you may have.
Oh yes, and are there any other old folk like me around here? (45.) And how many of you are female? I`m curious to see if I`m the only female middle-aged Lego Castle fan in the world..... :wink:
Old? At 45? Next Footsteps is gonna tell you that he was the oldest. :wink:
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Welcome on board!

You've already been answered about how many old guys are around here (I think its like five people in their forties, all told. We call 'em Geezers.)

As to how many ladies are here: not enough (also known as "too few") And certainly very few who actually participate. So I guess that this is by default an Old Boy's Club. But girls are definitely welcome.
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

Hello! And yes BS is the best place to go http://library.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/s ... le&stype=f
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Welcome to the playhouse!

In addition to this site and the Lugnet and Brickset databases, Fibblesnork is also a great guide up through 1997:
http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/castle/

Lugnet has a castle FAQ:
http://www.lugnet.com/~330/FAQ/Castle/

Not a castle resource, but The Brickish Association is a UK AFOL (Adult Fan Of LEGO) group. They might have events near you:
http://www.brickish.org/

Bruce
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

Formendacil wrote:

You've already been answered about how many old guys are around here (I think its like five people in their forties, all told. We call 'em Geezers.)

As to how many ladies are here: not enough (also known as "too few") And certainly very few who actually participate. So I guess that this is by default an Old Boy's Club. But girls are definitely welcome.

Geezers..?
Well, I have never heard the word, But that is probably because English is not my mother tongue.
If there is one Geezer out here, it ought to be me. At last, I made already 56 orbits round te sun, and the 57th is almost done. So that will make me the only real old boy here in this community. No problem for me; LEGO keeps me young forever!
And on the boxes LEGO write 7-12. Thus I decided to remain a 12 year old forever..

On the second point you are perfectly right. Too few girls. And I consider 45 as being lovely young 8)
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

Many thanks for all the welcomes and tips for sources of information. I`ve certainly got enough bookmarked now to keep me in reading material for a while. As I said, the Lego on-line resources have certainly improved over the last decade or so. And the number of MOC fansites! Very impressive. Inspirational! I wish I could build like some of you folk! :shock:
footsteps wrote:Well, hey. Finally someone who's certifiably older than me (42), and an auld wifie to boot! :wink:
Well I`m OK about "Auld Wifie" if the alternative is "Auld Geezer"! I`ve got no problems with the fact I must have seen every Castle set ever produced on the toyshop shelves at one point or other.....and never bought any of them at the time...sob. I remember the days before Minifigs were produced even...yes, that old..... :roll:
footsteps wrote:
So I'm curious... what part of Scotland are you in?
Alan
East Lothian...just right of Edinburgh, on the East Coast. Nearest real castles are Edinburgh ...

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/tour/castle.html

....and Tantallon...

http://www.tantallon.de/English/index_english.htm
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Lady Val wrote:
footsteps wrote:Well, hey. Finally someone who's certifiably older than me (42), and an auld wifie to boot! :wink:
Well I`m OK about "Auld Wifie" if the alternative is "Auld Geezer"!
Until Formendacil's post, I hadn't been called a Geezer before. Now that I know what they think of me... :? Actually, around here that's a moniker I'll wear with pride - but that's just me.
Lady Val wrote:
footsteps wrote: So I'm curious... what part of Scotland are you in?
Alan
East Lothian...just right of Edinburgh, on the East Coast.
For a short while over thirty years ago I lived in the NW section of Edinburgh (Silverknowes/Davidson Maines), but I've never been to your neck of the woods.

I'm with Legomaat. Lego keeps me young. So technically none of us are geezers or wifies, just kids. Gotta love it.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional."

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Welcome aboard!

We like members from all over! and yeah - i think theres folks here older than you (Stephen :D)

and tell me whatya think of these?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thele ... tle_01.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thele ... otland.jpg

Freak :D
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

LOL.....most excellent. 8) The kilts must have taken a looottttt of time! It`s nice to see customs that are one step beyond swapping parts, and especially for a theme so close to home. :D

And I like the Lion Rampant as well. I`m not good at stickers but Hubby is....would you mind if I perhaps "borrowed" (read steal here) the design someday? Though strictly speaking I should perhaps be asking Queenie..... :wink: