Here comes another fan...

General USER announcements, such as introductions and away messages.
Gakusei
Villein

Here comes another fan...

Post by Gakusei »

Hello everyone, I'm obviously the newest member here. I've been keeping an eye on classic-castle for several months, but as my castle is nearing completion, I figured I'd sign up so I can share it with everyone (soon, when its done).

A little background, I'm a AFOL and will be 26 soon. I have always been in love with castles, ever since I lived in Germany as a child. My family went to as many castles in Europe as possible for a whole summer, though we were only able to make it to generally the surrounding nations around Germany. The styles of architecture, significance, and symbolized power had always captured my imagination. To this day, I'm still swearing that if I became a billionaire, to heck with some pretty mansion, I want a castle.

As far as my background in Legos are concerned, my family basically had two things they bought for me as a kid. Books, and Legos. While I also got other toys for sure, these two things were always the priority since they had an emphasis on education, and what toy at that time was more educational than Lego? However, despite always getting Lego sets, I never ever got any castle sets. It wasn't until we couldn't afford Legos anymore (in what I call, the cursed financial black plague of my dark age) that I even knew there were castle sets. My best friend had a ton of them, so we always played with what he had. As we grew older, well... we kept playing =P However, neither of us added any castle sets to either of our collection. My best friend left for the Army, I continued on living life through high school.

Finally, in 2004, my friend returned from the Army, together we moved in together as roommates. We had no use for the living room in our spacious apartment, so we used that to build our castles (well, he got a castle, I got left over pieces for a castle-fort), complete with towns and other 'castles' for the bad guys. Still, we never did add to our collection, and a month later we moved into another apartment. Thus began another dark age...

Then, in 2008 my friend and I made pretty good money. Though no longer living together, I would visit him all the time and continue to occasionally spend the night/week at his place. It was then that the Golden Age of my Lego life had begun. I began to buy Lego castle en mass. Then, I discovered Lego's Pick a Brick. Then, this year, I discovered Brick Link. Oh glory!

Despite my ever growing collection, it wasn't until this Summer that I actually began to design a real Lego castle, one that could be realistic enough. My previous attempt in 2008 ending in general failure. Can't wait to show it when it's done!
Legoorci
Apprentice

Re: Here comes another fan...

Post by Legoorci »

Hello, welcome to CC! :wave:
Nice that you've joined CC and that you're out of your dark ages!
What castles did you visit ?
You can see my MoCs on [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/legoorci/]my Flickr Account[/url] and you can see them also on [url=http://legoorci.wordpress.com/]my Blog[/url] where you also can read the stories behind the MoCs...but in german.
Gakusei
Villein

Post by Gakusei »

Honestly, I couldn't tell you, it was almost 20 years ago. I just remember there were a ton of them, all ranging from immaculate and well preserved, to occupied and open to the public, to ones converted to hotels, to ones grown over with moss and in complete ruins, to some in between. I know that I've been to Neuschwanstein and Frankenstein's castle for sure (as a matter of fact, you could see Frankenstein's castle from our yard), I'd have to call my dad and ask him if he remembers any other castles. I just remember it seemed like a new castle every day or so. I sorely miss it, I've always wanted to go on that adventure again. :D
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Welcome to the site. Once you have discovered Pick-a-brick and Bricklink, your LEGO collection and wallet will never be the same.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Gakusei
Villein

Post by Gakusei »

Indeed, I use pick-a-brick of most of my shopping needs, despite the cost. I use bricklink to obtain pieces that I normally can't get through Lego itself. :)
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

Welcome to CC! I can't wait to see your new castle. :)
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]