Newbie Here *wave*

General USER announcements, such as introductions and away messages.
Ashkestral
Villein

Newbie Here *wave*

Post by Ashkestral »

I'm a newbie just coming out of my "dark ages".

When I moved out on my own, (10ish years ago) I told my parents the one thing I wanted was my legos. I had a bunch castle sets that I kept separate from the general lego building pool of my brothers. My dad said I couldn't have them because they were keeping them for the grandkids, but my brothers both recognize they are mine to "inherit" some day.

About a year ago, I was wandering the strip mall near the movie theatre because I'd gotten there early, and came across the lego store (technically a Legoland Discovery Center, but I've never been inside the tour part). I didn't buy anything then, I just looked. But I kept going back. I finally gave up and thought "I'll just get some mini-figures..." Ha ha, no one stops with just mini figures do they?

I love the new mini-figures with printing on the legs and shiny parts. Right now I'm creating a mini castle and a mini tree hut and populating them with updated versions of forest men and castle figures. I also seem to have acquired a small group of Ninjas and a bunch of female collectible figurines. I think I only had two female mini-figures when I was a kid, and was always miffed by the lack. (I'm female btw).

The stuff you guys are building here makes my own look pathetic... but I'll post them once I have enough bricks to make them feel complete. They are more "fun-lego-play-set" like then realistic.

The good news is my Mother knows exactly where the castle legos are, and thinks they are mine to take too. So now to convince my Dad to let me have them... 8)
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Re: Newbie Here *wave*

Post by AK_Brickster »

Just buy him a big box of megablocks and tell him the g-kids won't know the difference ;)
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

Ashkestral wrote:...
My dad said I couldn't have them because they were keeping them for the grandkids, ...
Ouch! Maybe you need to put together a covert team of commandos to sneak into your folks' house and liberate your old sets. I'll volunteer for the mission.

...And welcome to Classic Castle!
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Frank_Lloyd_Knight wrote:Ouch! Maybe you need to put together a covert team of commandos to sneak into your folks' house and liberate your old sets. I'll volunteer for the mission.
Agreed. A covert mission seems the best route here. I'd suggest going over while your dad is out at work/fishing/etc. and just carting them all off in one fell swoop, especially since it sounds like they're not being stored in a prominent place where they'll be missed right away. If they ARE somewhere where he'll notice, try replacing them with a $100 gift card to his favorite restaurant or pro shop, left anonymously. He'll be so happy thinking about what he's going to buy with his new found wealth, that he'll forget all about the Legos. :eyebrows:
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

Good to see more girls joining up!Welcome to CC!
Frank_Lloyd_Knight wrote: Maybe you need to put together a covert team of commandos to sneak into your folks' house and liberate your old sets. I'll volunteer for the mission.
Sign me up! :tasty:

theboywarrior (who is a boy, as shown by username :P )
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]
Rick-Ricks
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by Rick-Ricks »

Welcome to Classic Castle, to your right you will see a coat rack, don't be afraid to use it and stay awhile. The carpet is new, though.
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Post by SPACE MARINE »

Welcome to Classic Castle, I think you'll like it here. It's always great to have a new member. The people are great, and you don't have to worry about not being accepted if you don't have skill with Lego. (I really am not too good with castle, but I still feel like part of a family!)

And yes, a covert mission sounds about right, but remember, go for the figs first! The old gray isn't in production anymore, so you'll have more new gray. :tasty:
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good- Rom. 12:21

Little Bricks, BIG dreams
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Sign me up. Nothing like liberating quality LEGO from a horde of drooling, tooth happy two year olds waiting to break/eat/smash LEGO up. Oh the humanity! Gives me the chills just thinking about it. :lol:
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

Welcome to CC!
As stated the carpet is new. So be gentle with it. :wink:
And feel free to build, show off and do all the things you feel like.
And if you have any questions about building look it up in the how to section on the front page, or just Ask. We don't bite. :halo:

CastleLord.
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlelord/]My Flickr[/url]
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey ashkestral.

Welcome to CC! *waves back*

Always good to have another AFOL emerge from their dark age, and also more women in what is sometimes perceived as a boys' club (not true, btw, two of our ten site officials are from the fair sex).

Don't worry about feeling intimidated by other builders. We've got people at all skill levels, and everyone starts somewhere (see, for instance, the my first MOC thread). Heck, I've been doing this for years and help run this place, and I'm intimidated by a lot of the builders I see. But it's all fun here and we're a fairly encouraging bunch.
On a similar note, don't be intimidated by the fact that some have much larger collections. Again, we all start somewhere, and even if you just buy a little LEGO here and there, in a few years you've got a massive collection.

On the "keeping them for the grandkids" issue, I have a question. Are these actual grandkids who love to come to grandma and grandpa's and play with their LEGO, or is it more of a "Someday we want to have grandkids - hey, btw, why don't you have kids yet?" sort of thing? If the former, I guess I can see their point and you'll have a hard time getting them. If it's more of a 'someday' thing, you can always just promise to give them back later if they need them (by that time you'll probably have amassed a larger collection anyway, see above). If there are no grandkids yet, it's at least four years before these potential grandkids would play with them anyway. It's not like you want to take the LEGO so you can sell it at a garage sale; it's always going to be right there in your home. Besides, these potential grandkids are either going to be your kids or your nieces and nephews, so it's not like having the LEGO at your house is keeping it from the grandkids. For years my folks have had lots of our old toys, books, etc at their house for just this reason, but since my kids are the youngest (mine are 4 and 2 while my youngest niece is 10), my folks have started bringing the little kids stuff to my house. Basically, they figure, my sisters' kids don't want them any more, and it's better for my kids to have access to them every day rather than the occasional visit to Grandpa and Grandma's (especially since we live a long ways away and it's much easier for my folks to come visit us than for us to go there).
Anyway, that's a long ways around the question to say that you can probably convince your dad that it's better to have the LEGO at your place being used than simply sitting on a shelf waiting for a grandkid.

BTW, you should really go on that Discovery Center tour.

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
Ashkestral
Villein

Post by Ashkestral »

Thanks for the warm welcome.

It's a "eventual" grandchildren - I'm pretty sure it's a *hint, hint, hint* type of comment.

I'm heading home in mid-October and I plan to swipe them then. I think it makes more sense to hit up garage sales and get a pile of random legos for them to play with.

I just got in some Bricklink orders so I'm working away on my MOC - but every time I update something I say "oh man, if only I had a "x" piece here..." I think it will be a while before I'm happy enough to show it. It certainly is getting a bit fancier than it was in the beginning, after looking around at threads here.
Ashkestral
Villein

Post by Ashkestral »

I took some MOC pictures and ... they came out terrible. I will try again later with better lighting.

Operation "Lego Retrieve" is in effect.*

Step 1: Reconnaissance

Brother-who-lives-near-parents has confirmed the location of the Legos.

Step 2: Transport

Visit to parents scheduled tomorrow. Driving so legos can be snuck into back of car. Legos are conveniently located in the room I will be staying in.

Step 3: Replacement

Small package of replacement legos repaired, so if anyone checks the legos by shaking they will be fooled!

Update will come next week.

*Double post for your entertainment.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Keep us informed. I'm rooting for you and am amused by the stealth tactics required. ;)

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Ashkestral wrote:
Operation "Lego Retrieve" is in effect.*

Step 1: Reconnaissance

Brother-who-lives-near-parents has confirmed the location of the Legos.

Step 2: Transport

Visit to parents scheduled tomorrow. Driving so legos can be snuck into back of car. Legos are conveniently located in the room I will be staying in.

Step 3: Replacement

Small package of replacement legos repaired, so if anyone checks the legos by shaking they will be fooled!

Update will come next week.

*Double post for your entertainment.
This is hilarious and awesome at the same time! Welcome back to the fold! Looking forward to seeing your collection once liberated.
Troy T. Moore
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

JoshWedin wrote:Keep us informed. I'm rooting for you and am amused by the stealth tactics required. ;)

Josh
I'm rooting for you as well. What would also be cool is for you or someone to make some viginette mocs of the recovery if successful. Bon Chance!
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!