Homeschooled LEGO fans: How many are out there?

General USER announcements, such as introductions and away messages.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Homeschooled LEGO fans: How many are out there?

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Hi guys and gals, this is a ROLECALL for all homeschoolers/former homeschoolers. More and more I've seen people 'reveal' to being homeschooled, and so I am curious to see how many C-Cers are also homeschoolers.

To keep this on topic, how do you think begin homeschooled has contributed to you LEGO hobby? Do you think you play with LEGO more, do you think the absence of peer pressue has helped you grow as a LEGO fan and being not ashamed of 'still playing with a toy'?

so, first up:

Nathan Wells (Lord of the LEGO, One Brick): Homeschooled since kindergarden.

PS - you don't have to reveal your name if you don't want to.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Nick Mann (lemon_squeezer2, lemon2): Homeschooled since 2nd grade

Lego has always played a part in my life to one extent or another. I have gone though one or two "little dark ages", but never has my interest in this toy truly been disrupted. I first (seriously) launched myself into the AFOL/YFOL realm only a year and a half ago and I am loving it. I cannot imagine myself without Lego.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Michael A. Joosten (if you want to know my username, you'll just have to guess it I suppose), home-schooled starting in Grade 3, now about to enter Grade 12, still home-schooled.

My Lego life has probably been helped more than I can possibly imagine by being home-schooled, because i have not been subjected to the pressures of peers, and my life has had a great deal more time in it for Lego (and for visiting Lego websites). In addition, it has given me the flexibility to get a great job (if not a high-paying one), that has allowed me to maintain my Lego purchasing habit, even as socially-related purchases have increased.

Post by Guest »

David Cheramie. Homeschooled k-12th grade. One of the best things my parents could have done for me (and not just because I had more time to play with Lego bricks, either! :D ). It has certainly enabled me to grow as a Lego fan. In fact, it has gone beyond that to directly influencing my choice of careers. Assembling, deconstructing, and re-assembling the little plastic bricks made me decide that I wanted to design things in real life some day, so here I am about to begin my fifth and final year of earning a civil engineering degree. There were other factors (the SimCity computer game, trips to my grandparents' house near New Orleans, Louisiana where there are some interesting civil engineering projects), but Lego toys were the earliest and strongest influence.
David C.
Peasant

Post by David C. »

Oops, haven't posted here in so long I forgot to sign in... :oops: Oh, well.
David Cheramie

Acts 17:29-31
Lord Resta
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Resta »

I didn't know you could post as a guest. Hmm... :wink:

I'm not home schooled, but my mum was training to be a teacher...
Look to my coming, on the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East...

-Gandalf the White, The Two Towers.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Welll, my wife and I homeschool our two children. Lego is definitely, how shall I say, encouraged around here. They are in grades 5 and 4. They think I'm cool because I play with Lego. They also like many of your creations and funny comments as they often come in to have a look when I am reading/viewing on Classic-Castle. Off topic, but related.
Troy T. Moore
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

Homeschooling is very, very rare in the UK. Parents have a right to do so, but there is very little practical support for it at a local level. I don`t personally know or have heard of a single homeschooled child.

But until I was 11, my parents moved around a lot abroad and many of the schools I occasionally attended were a bit lacking in educational standards, so my father taught me mostly. So I guess you could say I`m a bit of each....both homeschooled and school-schooled.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I am going into grade ten this year and have been homeschooled for my entire life. It rocks.

My homeschooling has definatly helped my lego life. If I had gone to the publice system, I might have friends and actually go to places and do stuff, and just be cool. As it is, I have LOTS of free time, therefore lots of lego time. Also, I have never had to worry about peer pressure. Its great. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

Hi! My name is Dave B. Skiles and I have never been to a public school for a class. :D I am starting my Senior year. thought you all would like to know these facts about me.

Dave
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

M. Dale Stoltzfus Jr. (thought you might as well know my whole name :D), Homeschooled K-9. This year (10th grade), I'll be attending a Christian academy that a former teacher, my dad, and two other men (four in all) formed earlier this year. My parents are still planning to homeshool my siblings until 8th grade, so you can say that I come from a homeschooling family as well.
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

This is pretty interesting. I've never been home-schooled myself or known many people home-schooled, but more power to you all =)
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

I'm Chris Malloy. I'm starting my senior year, and I've been homeschooled my entire life. As for how it helped my Lego...umm...habit, I think not being around alot of peer pressure during my early teens probably contributed to keeping the interest alive, and keeping me out of a dark age. I had alot of other homeschooled friends who were into Lego as well, so that was really awesome. And now, I play/look at/think over designs of Lego all day long while I'm in my room doing my school surrounded by Lego. Occasionally if I have a stunningly brilliant idea I'll go ahead and pull them out and take and unauthorized building break. :wink:

Cm2
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

Lady Val wrote:Homeschooling is very, very rare in the UK. Parents have a right to do so, but there is very little practical support for it at a local level. I don`t personally know or have heard of a single homeschooled child.
As far as I know, homeschooling does't even exist in The Netherlands. I even don't know if it is permitted by law. And I have never heard of it before.

It is very nice to hear how such things are regulated in other countries (continents).. :)
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

Legomaat wrote:I even don't know if it is permitted by law.
It is not :(. Which is sometimes a very sad thing for kids who don't fit in the standard learning speed of schools over here (under or above).
In the Netherlands you have to join the public schoolsystem until you are 16. Partly until you are 17 (as far as I know).

Can someone explain what homescholing exactly means?
I always thought it was a thing for australian kids who lived in the bush :?
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!