Theme Review: Dragon Masters

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
zac_schmitt
Freeman

Post by zac_schmitt »

being a dragon obsessed kid, i was always dying for more of these sets (i had one dragon and two dragon master figs i got at a random garage sale with no set) so i could amass some sort of faction. i'm sure as a kid i would have been able to overlook most of the set design flaws and all of their sillier aspects, but today the sets are certainly lacking. still, though, well intentioned theme that wasn't handled quite right.
79% of Classic Castle hates KK2. If you're one of the 20% that loves it, paste this into your sig. Started by Danju.
domboy
Freeman

Re: Theme Review: Dragon Masters

Post by domboy »

I like the Dragon Masters, and I like the idea put forth by somebody here that perhaps the Dragon Masters are a sub-theme of the Black Knights (i.e. magic-wielding dragon-herding faction of the Black Knights).
I think 6076 Dark Dragons Den was the last Castle lego I got before I got out of legos as a teen, and it was the first one I rebuilt recently when I dug up my legos from their resting place...
Colonel Strider
Serf

Post by Colonel Strider »

I did not like this theme at all the pieces were bad but the Euro Armor did come out oh Dragon Masters so that makes it better
~Strider~
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I liked the DM line

Pros-

Wizard figure and lots of them. With a bit of modification a nice way to add some majoc to your legoverse.

Dragons- Yeah I waited for this one much of the 80s. I thought they fit well in look to the classic castle look. Wish I had more.

Cavalry-The DMs had had loads of cavalry which was cool.

Arms- the new pollaxes were awesome!

Armour- I like the sallet type helmet alot. Use it for lots of people as it is a nice general helmet. I only wish Lego had done it in grey!

Sets-

I liked them. A mix of strange wizard house and keep/castle. I really liked the Dark Dragon Den. I sadly need pick up one again as now do not have it. I thought all the sets were rather good.

The best bonus is they added variety to the factions. DM was my last big subseries in castle before my DA. I thought the Royal knights and Foresters were ok but never got into them..

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

There were exactly two things I did not like about the Dragon Master's line. The knight hero minifigures seemed less exciting or interesting than the other knight/soldier minifigures available at the time and the Dark Dragon's Den seemed like an over priced BURP pack. Other than that, loved it all. :)
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

I have always liked dragon master sets because of Majisto and over time got to love the faction as well. :D
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Sir Dano
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Sir Dano »

I love the Dragon Masters, they always have been, and always will be one of my favourite factions. I never did care for the blue arms on the figs though, so I swapped them out for black. 8)