Theme Review: Dragon Masters

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Spongey
Merchant

Theme Review: Dragon Masters

Post by Spongey »

This week's theme review is Dragon Masters. It was around between 1993-1995, and included Majisto the wizard. Sets included Majisto's Magical Workshop and Dark Dragon's Den. Please feel free to review sets, figs, and the overall design of the theme.
Although Dragon Masters were just before my time, they look pretty poor from the pictures. The set design was iffy at best, and the figs looked to comical with all of their plumes. It was definitely an average theme at best.
Shadowviking
Councilor

Post by Shadowviking »

Eh, I actually liked this, but it wasn't my favorite. Mostly what I didn't like was set design, the guys were really cool, in my opinion. The plumes were, admittedly, a bit goofy, but there really were plumes like that, supposedly. I actually started an army of them once, but got sick of it. I still have them, but they only number about 20-strong or so.
...and that's how Equestria was made!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/people/shadowviking/]flickr[/url] | [url=http://receptacle.tumblr.com/]tumblr[/url] | [url=http://tellers-tales.wikidot.com/]teller's tales[/url]
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I am fond of this line, because I really like the dragons that came with it. The sets, although not the best, are still by far not the worst, and several are very good. Also, the Dragon Helmets I think are really cool.

7/10

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

I have about 10 of these lads due a garage sale, I like the minifigures. But the design it is half good and half bad, the good 6082 and 6048 the bad 6076 a spitting image of 6087. Plus this was the theme that introduced fantasy to the castle world, and dragons! I thought this was a good theme.
C0M3_GeT_5OME
Serf

Post by C0M3_GeT_5OME »

I actually quite liked this theme. I was about ten when these guys first came out and the dragons were a cool idea. I think i have almost every set in this line except the american stuff
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

In 1993 I was that close (*shows with thumb and index finger*) to falling into Dark Ages. My one saving grace was - no, not the Dragon Masters line, but the 6286 Skull's Eye Schooner. However, I actually bought 6048 Majisto's Workshop for the benefit of having some of the then new big halberds and of course one bearded sorcerer.

The rest of the line didn't interest me at all. Too weak were the structures and too bad was the execution of the ”new“ faction overall. The Dragon Masters clearly were a new faction, not much related to the previous Black Dragon Knights, but TLC just gave them the same heraldry with slightly different colours. I was disappointed with this lack of imaginativeness. And while I didn't mind the move-in of magical aspects into the Lego Castle world that much, I did mind the losing of the reality. For me that was the beginning of the downfall of Legoland Castle. Well, it wasn't ”Legoland“ anymore anyway.

Nowadays I'm still not fond of this line. I like how they incorporated some trees, though, but I even like the Batlord's line better, partwise mainly.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Unlike Jojo, this line actually pushed me into my dark ages.

I liked neither the minifigs, or the set design for the majority of these. The year this line came out, I only managed to purchase the Dragon Wagon and Majisto's cart. The shift to fantasy was fine, but the completely hap-hazard set and faction designs were not. The green-yellow-red shields clashed fiercely with the red and blue soldiers, and the recycling of existing heraldry with a new faction was uninspired to say the least.

Other than the Batlords, these guys are probably my least-favorite faction prior to KKII. The sets certainly don't do anything for me either.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

I liked these when they came.. otoh I was 5-6 years old or so then so I guess that explains it ;) Looking back I can see that it was quite flawed, especially the figs were quite dreadful (except dear Majisto of course!) but I am grateful to this line for the helmets (which are my absolute favourite Castle helmets) and the dragons.

And poor sets or not, there is a lot of nostalgia for me about this theme..
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I'm quite torn here...like Maedhros, I know the set design is pretty bad and it is pretty much the fall from grace of the Castle line, but all the same I played with these guys and have many fond memories of their battles with the Royal Knights. Also, 6076 is one of my favourite sets ever. Basically, it's nostalgia vs quality and I really can't decide.

- Matt
Emp.Justinian
Archer

Post by Emp.Justinian »

Once the dragon masters and royal knights entered the realms of Lego the castle line started to go down the tube. Though better than the lines that were to come they just wern't as good. The good things about them were their helmats and plumes.

God speed

Emp.Justinian
Support the true king, Support SavaTheAggie!

A proud member of the Legion of Aggie

I Pledge Allegiance to SavaTheAggie
and to the empire for which it rules
one Empire under One Admin
invincible, with tyranny and injustice for all.
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

This theme was a up down theme for structure. Sets like 6082 and 6048 were nice, while 6076 is a spitting image of 6087. But the minifigures were great. Overall I thought this was a fairly good theme.
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

As many have said, the structures of this line left much to be desired, but other than that, I really had few problems with 'em.
The figs, while not great, have great potential for BK nobles and knights while their shields work for a new dragon faction (or sub-faction) and the capes just plain kicked a... . I never really liked the new helms but the plumage worked to convert crusader knights into dragons and the new halberds armed the polearm units to oppose the other guys.
While the sets themselves couldn't stand next to even 6081, the cool new dragon castle walls and arches were nice and the pieces themselves were none of this KKII junk but actual bricks, BROWN arches (then new) and others useful for castle building. The only brown castle wall corners I own are from their dragfortthing and they be cool.
So while the sets and figs could have been improved upon, chop 'en up and they make great fodder (they still don't cost that much today.) My dragon sub-fac thanks them greatly.
Later,
Ser Loktar
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
Chrislad77
Foot Soldier

Post by Chrislad77 »

I really want to like the Dragon Masters. Their knights look impressive on display IMO and the concept is good. My problem is with the basic troops, especially the gray pants they came with, I always swap out for black. The torsos were alright it's just the colors never seemed quite right. While I actaully liked the green/yellow shield thing, they didn't really fit with look of the guys and of course causes a lot of confusion with the Black Knights. I never got any of the sets, just picked up some mini figures.The sets seem all over the place, though I admit I'd probably buy them if they were released now. Back when they were current and still hanging around store shelves I looked at buying them, but being young with limited funds they weren't worth the cost compared with Royal Knights, Dark Forest, or Pirates.
leaf_of_lire
Reeve

Post by leaf_of_lire »

Dragon Masters are one of my favorite castle themes, I really wanted one of their capes and a few dragons.
Legendary_Corsair
Archer

Post by Legendary_Corsair »

I liked how they built the creations and the pieces,tons of plumes,capes,weapons.I also just like the dragons.
I am.......a....Future Legend