King Leo's Castle Catapult/Launcher?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

King Leo's Castle Catapult/Launcher?

Post by Sir Smittens »

Was the cataplut thing showed in the bottom left corner here: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=6091_1&v=z really part of medieval times' weaponry?

Sorry there's not a better pic...

Thanks.
Philosophies of my life:

"A PC turned off is better than a PC turned on"

"It's not about who wins...it's about who gets to gloat after they win."
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

I would have to say that it wasn't. I don't know that there were any castle who put their treasure up on the wall so that any enemy could just it that "fancy window" and get all the treasure the wanted.

My guess, another of those fancy additions TLG expect little people to fancy. 8)
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Are you referring to the treasure catapult or the Bull's cannon?

Cannon were used in late medieval times such as the conquest of Constantinople in the 15th Century. They were so effective that military fortification design was completely changed and low walls were used.

Ben E.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

If you are referring to the treasure chest catapult, those definitely were a work of fantasy and not a good one. It was one of those riduculous design elements added to increase playability. Truly a better use could have been found for the wall collapsing bit, but as usual reality and TLC designs are very far away from each other. You can probably tell I am not a fan of that castle. Even at 50% off I am still bugged I bought any of that set at all. I hate it when I buy junk. :evil:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

wlister wrote:You can probably tell I am not a fan of that castle.
Haha at first, I thought you wrote You can probably tell I am not a fan of castle. Had me puzzled for a sec!

-Bryan
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Gumby wrote:
wlister wrote:You can probably tell I am not a fan of that castle.
Haha at first, I thought you wrote You can probably tell I am not a fan of castle. Had me puzzled for a sec!

-Bryan
Odd...

I thought he said that too. Weird...

...In ROTK I remeber their being seige engines within the walls of the fortification.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

Sorry for the confusion...I meant the Bulls' Cannon. I just wasn't sure what to call it.
Philosophies of my life:

"A PC turned off is better than a PC turned on"

"It's not about who wins...it's about who gets to gloat after they win."
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Dragon Master wrote:...In ROTK I remeber their being seige engines within the walls of the fortification.
Well, you have to take into account how large the actual fortess was. In a city as large as Minas Tirith, a few smaller catapults won't be too unrealistic. However, when you have a six foot throwing arm with no logical way to fire it (by a minifig), it is getting a little silly.

More like ridicules actually :)
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
AoErat
Villein

Post by AoErat »

Obviously a spring-loaded cannon of that sort is illogical, but I suppose the contraption as a whole could represent the early cannons of the 15th/16th century.

A side note on the stupid wall-treasure-flinger: I dunno, but I always enjoyed having my invading minifigs stealthly scale the walls (which, conicidently, don't exist on newer castle sets) and sneak into the fortress under the cover of dark, knock out the guards, and steal the treasure that way. Darnit, they had to work for their rewards!