Weekly Set Review: Gargoyle Bridge

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Gargoyle Bridge

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 8822 Gargoyle Bridge.

Gargoyle Bridge was released in 2006 for Knight's Kingdom II. Karzon and a rogue knight attack with their battering ram. Adric defends the bridge and gated tower with giant falling axes. Various accessories such as a pike, flag, and torches are included.

Last edited by architect on Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
smegged
Freeman

Post by smegged »

This was by far the worst of the KKII:3 line of sets.

The problems with it are threefold:

1) poor value for money - the other 3 sets (the boat, the battle at the pass and the mistlands tower) all offered far better value for money and more minfigs for the buck (which was really the appeal of the KK2:3 sets - the new heraldry and well designed figs (despite their lack of torso printing)).

2) Nothing unique - this set had figs which were in other sets, and no good unique parts or parts in good colours

3) Poor design - this set simply was not an attractive set. The boat and the tower were all far more impressive on the box and BatP was ridiculously cool when we saw it - dispite it being nothing more than a wall and siege weaponry. This set had uninspired design. The bionicle axes definately did not help.

Verdict: Purchasable only when on heavy discount - get BatP instead if you want a KKII:3 set.
Dr. J
Steward

Post by Dr. J »

I got this set only for a few of the parts that were included.

One thing I think is worthy of pointing out is the "copper" armor worn by Karzon and his soldier. Some very cool stuff.

The playability isn't very high... The axes to fall right, and they rarely do more than nudge the doors open. It also takes some work to get the battering ram to drop underneath the bridge.

I will finish my review soon...
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dr-J]My Brickshelf; come on in and take your shoes off![/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerng/]My Flickr; wipe your feet at the door and wash your hands.[/url]
<><
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

There are several things which I like about this set. The bad guy figures, shields, and weapons (brick built mace) are cool. I also like the battering ram design. It uses technic wheels similar to 6030 and has a metal ramhead which would damage a stone wall or gate. The brick selection is not terrible and includes arches, iron doors, slopes, chains, flags, and torches.

I do not like how open the set feels. Previous bridges 6075 and 6078 were more compact for defense. The falling axes are stupid. Previous sets in various themes have falling axes, but they are often hidden. Only an idiot would attack a bridge with two giant axes hovering above the door. The tower crenelations are one piece elements meant for round towers. This element looks terribly out of place on a square tower. Technic wolf heads add an interesting look to the bridge entrance but brick built versions would be better.

Ben
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

I find it hard to see how this site comprises 250 pieces. I think it is sorely lacking in "weight"; it needs more substance. It doesn't much look like a bridge, at least not a permanent structure. I think an extra 50-100 pieces would make a huge difference in this set; consider if the front and back floor-plates had bricks along the side to make them seem like a stone bridge, rather than a wooden plank just cast down to the earth; or else if the "walls" of the bridge were solid rather than empty. Overall I like the concept of the set but find that the execution is poor because of the price point this set is placed in.

Also I personally hate the huge axes because I think they look stupid and also because I'm not really sure what they're supposed to do... are they intended to bust the door open? Seems to me they would, and as an attacker I'd be trying to spring the trap, not avoid it. In any case I will forgive the LEGO designers this gaffe because I'm sure there are lots of 8-year-olds who will like making the axes drop on the heads of the attackers, and it's boring if EVERY friggin' set has a catapult. However since this is a seige set I'd be happier if instead of axes they had rigged some boiling-oil trap or something.
greendragon420
Villein

Post by greendragon420 »

finally a set i can post my 2 cents about since own it . Ill have to agree that there isnt alot that jumps out at me but i did like the copper armor nice to see them try to mix it up a little with the speckeled armor. The axes were a bit much. I do like the wolf heads since i wasnt able to pick up any of the viking sets that had them in it also. I do like the green/grey rock pieces underneath . Yes they shouldve added a couple more figs for the price. 6 studs out of 10
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

This for me represents the darkest pit of LEGO Castle. The figs are gawdy, the design is pointless (I barely even see a bridge, more like a few bricks thrown together,) and large juniorized pieces. Seriously, this looks more like a Megabloks creation made by a kid than a product from the same people who brought us sets like 6085, 6086, 375, etc. Thankfully, the new castle line is a vast improvement on this waste of money.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Spongey wrote:This for me represents the darkest pit of LEGO Castle. The figs are gawdy, the design is pointless (I barely even see a bridge, more like a few bricks thrown together,) and large juniorized pieces. Seriously, this looks more like a Megabloks creation made by a kid than a product from the same people who brought us sets like 6085, 6086, 375, etc. Thankfully, the new castle line is a vast improvement on this waste of money.
The darkest pit?! It features weapons, very realistic figs in useful colours and some generic grey pieces, and also the gate pieces, and the big plates. It's not great, but it's not terrible.

- Matt
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Sir Kohran wrote:very realistic figs in useful colours
Well.... I think that can be contested.. ;)

The wolfheads is a nice touch but apart from that I see little that appeals with this set. Would probably not buy even on heavy discount..
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Dr. J
Steward

Post by Dr. J »

I agree on the axes... if you put the ram infront of the gate and drop the axes, they just fall and push open the gate for the battering ram.

And as I said before, the copper armor/helmets and snake shield are exellent!
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dr-J]My Brickshelf; come on in and take your shoes off![/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerng/]My Flickr; wipe your feet at the door and wash your hands.[/url]
<><
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I got mine half-off. At that price, it wasn't a bad set. The knights are decent and the battering ram cap, could be used to make some sort of giant's helmet I guess. Plus you get those two toned rock piece things (Do we have catchy acronym for those yet?)

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Athos wrote:I got mine half-off. At that price, it wasn't a bad set. The knights are decent and the battering ram cap, could be used to make some sort of giant's helmet I guess. Plus you get those two toned rock piece things (Do we have catchy acronym for those yet?)

Steve
How about TTRP? That has a nice ring to it.

Ben
wallgorn
Freeman

Post by wallgorn »

I bought this set and the boat last year. I like the tower and BatP better. I changed the wheels on the battering ram, because I didn't like to brown technic wheels. The battering ram won't fit on the bridge anymore though. I used the light gray wheels from Jayko's mount in The Grand Tournament on the battering ram.

I wasn't impressed with the design of the top battlement, so I made my own design. I currently have it designed so that I can place two minifigures up there in a fight.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

It seemed to me that LEGO was trying to recapture two previous sets in the KK2 theme, without much success. The first set of the drawbridge design I see in this set is: 6078 Royal Drawbridge http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=6078_1&v=z Far better design.
The second, and my favorite LEGO bridge/drawbridge was: 6089 Stone Tower Bridge http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=6089_1&v=z. Wouldn't you rater have either one of these than what KK2 brought us?

On this new-er Drawbridge the axe trap is way overdone, to the point where it is obvious and the siege wepons are awful. Bionicle-ized parts just don't blend or work well. I think of this set as designed for a 4-6 year old. But the problem with that diagnois is that my kids in that range can't keep the structure form collapsing during play because there is no baseplate or sturdy archway construction system to hold it together. Scrap it. Use it for parts and recycle the minifigures into your armies. If you can stand that *horrid* red knight. :shock:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

architect wrote:
Athos wrote:I got mine half-off. At that price, it wasn't a bad set. The knights are decent and the battering ram cap, could be used to make some sort of giant's helmet I guess. Plus you get those two toned rock piece things (Do we have catchy acronym for those yet?)

Steve
How about TTRP? That has a nice ring to it.

Ben
It's in the BURP family, though. We need an easy Three-Bears style of naming to help identify the three types to newbies and old timers alike. These would be the Baby BURPs to me. :wink:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-