New Castle Sets

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Shurtugal
Bailiff
Location: On the Albertan Prairies, listening to some slow country music

Post by Shurtugal »

I agree with Velliscig, my biggest peeve with the new castle Lego is the armor and helmet colours. They don't match the figs at all, the worst is that they don't match anything at all, the creamy grey arnour and silver hemets are not cool. Please, Lego please make armour, helmets, visors, weapons just normal lego red, blue, grey all those classic colours.
~Andrew C.

[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php]MOCpages![/url]

Eka ai fricai un Shur'tugal! I am a Rider and a friend!
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Shurtugal wrote:I agree with Velliscig, my biggest peeve with the new castle Lego is the armor and helmet colours. They don't match the figs at all, the worst is that they don't match anything at all, the creamy grey arnour and silver hemets are not cool. Please, Lego please make armour, helmets, visors, weapons just normal lego red, blue, grey all those classic colours.
You do realize that that was what we got for about three years from KK2, right? I'm all for the new look, as it is something completely different. Bricklink.Com will get you all the color and variety you want from the past factions.
Tanotrooper
Gentleman

Post by Tanotrooper »

yes, armour becomes dirty over time, but Roman legionnaires had to clean their armour for hours! This new line has such disciplined soldiers. All the other factions didnt maintain their armour very well (except black armour). This is a realistic line (the knights I mean), and pearl armour mixes well with the light bley colour. This is a dream line, and still some of you are complaining...

TT
my brickshelf gallery:
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tanotrooper[/url]

Please take a look at my TTfigs:
[url]http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... 7&start=15[/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Count Blacktron wrote:
Shurtugal wrote:I agree with Velliscig, my biggest peeve with the new castle Lego is the armor and helmet colours. They don't match the figs at all, the worst is that they don't match anything at all, the creamy grey arnour and silver hemets are not cool. Please, Lego please make armour, helmets, visors, weapons just normal lego red, blue, grey all those classic colours.
You do realize that that was what we got for about three years from KK2, right?
Well, I never complained :P And anyway, I don't think the new colours are bad, either.
This is a dream line, and still some of you are complaining...
It is very good and certainly some of the best we've seen in a long time, but people should still be able to criticise something if they feel that way.

- Matt
Escape The Fate
Foot Soldier

Post by Escape The Fate »

Some of you have been complaining for years for a better castle line, well when we finally did get it, you just complain more, and you wonder why lego took so long to make these awesome sets for us. your just like spoiled children, never satisfied with what you get.
wallgorn
Freeman

Post by wallgorn »

I happy with the color for the armor.
Pallando the Blue
Freeman

Post by Pallando the Blue »

I'm expecting most of the people that are complaining are those that worked hard to establish set colors for their armies, and when this miracle set comes out and nothing matches, they complain. I don't mind, as long as they continue to use the new colors for helmets/armor/etc.
But as for Dark Blueish Grey...I think it's too blue to use with Dark Grey. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I'm gonna restrict myself to the old color for walls.
legobear
Villein

Post by legobear »

I LOVE this year's theme more than a fat kid loves cake. We have the most deluxe looking set of knights ever made. They look well polished, trained, etc which means they deserve the most decadent castle a castle designer can make. I rank my 07 crownies as the highest ranking knights in the entire lego world and they are almost god like as they live on a mountain in my set, and all other kingdoms pledge allegiance to them.
I deeply appreciate what LEGO did for us this year, and especially for myself because this year was my first year out of my dark ages and what a year it is. I got to see classic elements back, new armor types, and what obviously looks like a remix of the classic castle designs on their shields (check classic castle's earlier set designs).
I -like the tons of others- dislike the ape skeleton arms (skellies sit in a ziplock bag never to be touched again) but the 07 line of castle knights did it man, it really really hit the spot. I'm excited for the dwarf set coming out, heck, I'm still amazed at these new figures everyday, just look at them, wow. I'm beyond pleased. Thank you thank you LEGO, thanks to the entire team that worked on this new line, even to those on the skeletons, you all really pushed the bar to revitalize the classic castle line, as well as bring in newcomers to enjoy such a wonderful lego theme that is castle :o
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I like how the helmets and armor look more metallic. This years Castle line has certainly been influence by fantasy movies/games.

LOTR, Harry Potter (Thestrals aka skeleton horses but w/o wings), WarCraft and others.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Queen Goan
Freeman

Post by Queen Goan »

For those of you looking to army build from the new Castle line, a BrickLinker that was at Legoland California today apparently bought a new Tic Tac Toe set that is Castle.

http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=214452

It has 5 armoured skeletons with grey swords and 5 knights with chrome silver swords. Sounded like it had just arrived at Legoland and was so new it wasn't even listed on S@H yet.

Anyway, I haven't seen it with my own eyes but it sounds legit and I thought it was worth mentioning. Quite exciting if this is something that'll soon be available on S@H and in Lego stores.
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Ok the armor is great. These new soldiers look fantastic! And with the tower shields of KK2 you could almost do legionaries, eh?

anyway, the designers mentioned earlier versions of the castle taht did not have those nasty airy towers. Any chance we'd get to see thes epictures?

<and as i think of it, the picture from the front thing doesnt make sense. The castle is shown from above most of the time?>

anyway...sorry a tangent there gents.
crown_knights
Villein

Post by crown_knights »

I love the castle knights. They are, in my opinion, some of the finest castle minifigs made. The chrome helmets, armor/mail, logos, classic weapons such as the short sword, the two types of helmet, the euro armor knights...this is great!!! On the other hand, although the castle is a step up from the post 6090 dark age, it is not very realistic looking (I absolutely despise the back towers, espesially the one 'floating in the air').
I wish we had something like the 6086 and then we would have one of the finest castle lego lines EVER!!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

timber_wolf899 wrote:
anyway, the designers mentioned earlier versions of the castle taht did not have those nasty airy towers. Any chance we'd get to see these pictures?
I am sorry but these pictures will likely not get out.
I love the castle knights. They are, in my opinion, some of the finest castle minifigs made. The chrome helmets, armor/mail, logos, classic weapons such as the short sword, the two types of helmet, the euro armor knights...this is great!!!
These figures are very nice and reminiscent of many classic factions.
On the other hand, although the castle is a step up from the post 6090 dark age, it is not very realistic looking (I absolutely despise the back towers, espesially the one 'floating in the air').
I agree about the "floating tower". It looks out of place and detracts from the rest of the castle.
I wish we had something like the 6086 and then we would have one of the finest castle lego lines EVER!!
6086 was a very nice design but was limited in terms of expansion. The new castle has the modular sections built on plates design which is much more flexible than the pit and ramp baseplate designed castles (6081, 6082, 6086, 6090, etc).

Ben
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I think the new line is a step in the right direction, it will take some time to get used to the shinny armor. KKII was too much like power rangers but the black armors had some uses.

I still don't like lego using "bionicle" material for swords,helms, etc, it gives the line a cheaper feel. KKI was the last of the great figure assortments (starting with falcons/Lions of early eighties) in my opinion.

If I can't think of a story to support adding these new knights/skeletons to my "Lego world" I still buy them. Sometimes it takes a while to think something up that will endure. The Scorpions, for example, took me a few years to develop a story.

Ultimately I am glad for the new sets, maybe Lego will change their minds about LOTR 8) Well, maybe not but one can hope.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

I actually like Castle 2007 a lot. It doesn't take the place of classic factions, but I think it fits in very well. I also believe that the shiny armor and helms is very realistic. Remember, knights weren't trying to blend in. They fought in large groups out in the open and there would have been no point in trying to hide. Also, if the metal isn't shiny, that means it is corroded/rusty/dirty which means that the movement of different parts is going to be impeded. Now, I am aware that, depending on which time period and which type of armor or helms you are talking about, there may be no moving parts. However, dirty or rusty armor still wouldn't be a good idea - it's not good for the metal and will wear it out and weaken it. To prevent this, the armor would be cleaned (often by abrasive methods such as rolled in a barrel filled with sand) which would by default make the armor more or less shiny.

All that to say I like the metallic armor and I think it can be very accurate. :D

As has been said, Castle 2007 isn't everything, but it is a huge step in the right direction (i.e. away from KKII, Power Ranger knights, and unrealistically painted armor).

D-Man