New Castle Sets

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

legobear wrote: I'm excited for the dwarf set coming out, heck, I'm still amazed at these new figures everyday, just look at them, wow.

Am I missing something? What "Dwarf set" ?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

:shock:
legobear
Villein

Post by legobear »

Queen Goan wrote:For those of you looking to army build from the new Castle line, a BrickLinker that was at Legoland California today apparently bought a new Tic Tac Toe set that is Castle.
Yeah, he's right....there truly is a tic tac toe set

http://www.brickset.com/detail.aspx?set=852132-1

One major critique, did somebody forget the shields......again!?!?
Nice set for those intent on hoarding knights though.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

legobear wrote:One major critique, did somebody forget the shields......again!?!?
Including shields for each minifigure would raise the set price considerably. Even these SAH games must meet a certain price point or very few people will purchase the set.

Ben
Jibbajaba
Laborer

Post by Jibbajaba »

I just recently came out of a ~15 year Lego "dark age". Because of that, I am accustomed to (and still have ALL of) my "golden age" Lego castle sets. Compared to those sets, the new castle line is inferior. However, my neighbor just gave me some SAH catalogs from around 2004, which gave me my first good look at the old KK stuff. All I can say to that is GOOD LORD. The Castle 2007 stuff is so much better than the KK stuff. The new castle line is certainly reminiscent of the old castle stuff. The diversity of sets is not there yet, but hopefully by this time next year we will see more sets in the sub-$15 dollar range, which were always my bread and butter back then. I like the minifigs though, and that is probably what is most important. If the minifigs are cool, then I can just build my own sets to go with them, which is more fun than buying sets from the store anyway.

I like the skeleton figures that come with that Tic-Tac-Toe set way better than the figures that come with the sets that I bought. I am goign to get rid of the skeleton figures that I have, but I would probably hang on to the guys from that set.

Chris
sidewinderl
Laborer

Post by sidewinderl »

I just got the new castle (didn't know there was a new series out, because I have several hobbies and lego got shoved to the back of the list) and I'm very pleased with it. I hated KK2 (loved KK1 though) because of all the eyebleed inducing giant -duplo- prefab pieces and power ranger knights. I don't collect skeletons, so I'm not concerned about those....but I do grumble about the stickers for the stone walls. The silver weapons and helms will take a bit of getting used to, but I can't complain...
Slobey
Foot Soldier

Post by Slobey »

I think the new castle line is great.

Good guys: nice shields and colour scheme. I don't mind the metallic armour. The new printed torsos are a nice touch as they could have easily recycled viking torsos or something like that. The best part is the small sets are such good army builders :D

Bad guys: I like the shields and the new weapons. the skellies I'm so-so on. I like them but I would have prefered another bad guy faction.

I'm really looking forward to the goblins and dwarf reinforcements to come! One thing with having a fantasy based line is that they have huge scope for it's expansion.

All in all I think this a good balance between keeping AFOL's like us and kids (thier major market) happy.

Just curious, what percentage do you think AFOL's are of TLG's customers? Maybe 5%?
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has limits
Jibbajaba
Laborer

Post by Jibbajaba »

Slobey wrote:Bad guys: I like the shields and the new weapons. the skellies I'm so-so on. I like them but I would have prefered another bad guy faction.

I'm really looking forward to the goblins and dwarf reinforcements to come! One thing with having a fantasy based line is that they have huge scope for it's expansion.
That's how I feel about the bad guys. I don't like the bad guys themselves, but they have cool weapons and shields, so maybe later down the line I can use them in conjunction with some black-colored minifigs to make some kind of army-of-death type of faction.

And I am looking forward to the Dwarves as well.

Chris
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

I, as a rule, never like the skellies. I like undead, since they have a torso/legs. What fun is it "killing" things that are dead? I like the shields, though and the colors. The good guys' blue is great.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
Daria
Villein

Post by Daria »

HeartOfDarkness wrote:Image

:shock:
Is that real... cause that's pretty awesome. I love the wings on the Dwarf helms. They'd also be perfect for some Valkyrie mini-figs along with some javalins from brickforge.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Daria wrote:
HeartOfDarkness wrote: :shock:

Is that real... cause that's pretty awesome. I love the wings on the Dwarf helms. They'd also be perfect for some Valkyrie mini-figs along with some javalins from brickforge.
Yep. Real as cheese on bees knees, if you please.
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

I really love the new Castle line. Up to date I think I have purchased 20 of the sets.

The knights are incredible, I love the Dark Blue & metallic colors all combined, looks very sharp.

As for the metallic and pearl color accessories, I do like them, but I don't. The helmets I love completely, no problems with them (Love them on some of my Falcons).

Now the pearl armor, it's nice, the designs are very good. I just don't like the pearl colors, since they tend to have color 'flashes' which in my opinion, give them a look of bad poorer quality. Still, very nice pieces, much nicer than we have been getting as of late.

And the swords, I can't quite get myself to like them very much, as said before, not a fan of the pearl.
It's too bad Lego couldn't bring back the old style short sword.

Not a fan of the skellies, due to the new long arms (They look silly holding their shields.)
Love the Skelly horse, though. I have kept a couple of those for myself, but have been selling most since, when I really thought of it, I just don't have a use for them, even if they are awesome.

All-together, this is the best castle line I have seen since I was really little. :)

~Amanda
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
natepc
Peasant

Post by natepc »

I am going to have to say that the new castle line was what brought me completely out of my dim ages. I stopped by Toys R Us a few years back, saw the Vikings, thought they were cool, and went on my way. Later, I saw KK2, cried quietly and went on my way. Last fall, picked up a few Exo-force and didn't like the faces and hair, eventually I'll add helmets and normal faces. I don't remember exactly when, but I heard of the new sets. Then I saw them! Oh, happy day! Real knights again! Pointed visors, real horses, good colours and an evil wizard. Good times.

However, it isn't perfect.
I am not a huge fan of the pearled patterned armour, but the entire effect is great. I think that the skellies are not pure humans, due to the long arms. I suspect that the Necromancer found the secret gorilla graveyard and got somewhat confused, but reanimated them anyway. I suspect that they would have looked better if the arms were slightly bent. That being said, if my only complaint involves slightly pearly armour and gorilla skeletons, I'm not going to complain. I love it!
Nate PC
------
[url=http://flickr.com/photos/natepc]Flickr[/url]
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

natepc wrote:out of my dim ages.
What a perfect description of the "phases" I tend to go through -- never into "darkness", but perhaps into the shadows. Tony's create-a-theme contest has revived me right now.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Anaxamander
Serf

Post by Anaxamander »

How about this: even though undead minifigs are completely useless to me, I still love the new sets.

I can't say enough about the Crown Knights. I think their colors and heraldry is truly excellent--best I've seen since the Black Falcons.

My favorite part about the new line is that once again it's possible to raise an army out of the sets. The past few iterations of KK included kings and heroes and Vladek with almost every single set, with nary a regular soldier to be found. But with this line, we get little sets like the crossbow attack to build with, plus the tic-tac-toe and chess sets.

I ordered all the sets off Lego.com for $200. I've only put the big castle together so far, but I'm looking forward to building the rest.