Halbreds; love or hate, what do you do...

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Halbreds; love or hate, what do you do...

Post by Troy T. Moore »

...with all of yours? I think that the proportion to the minifigs is not right. Way too big for the mightiest of my knights or soldiers. The head of that baby would weigh 20+ lbs on the end of a 7-8 foot shaft. Have any of you "remodelled" yours to make them more useful/realistic? I was thinking of making a mold to change them into pikes. Having trouble though, as I do not like to alter Lego (a sort of moral dilema, I guess). What about you?
Troy T. Moore
The Dragon Master

Post by The Dragon Master »

They are pretty odd. I like them though. Because it is a DM item. I don't give them to my soldiers. I think they are good for show, like clipipping them on horses. They also make good weapons for my dragons.

DRAGON MASTER
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
...with all of yours?
I give them away. I've got a box full of these halberds and I don't use them at all. At least not as galore as they come with every second set I purchase... And I don't like them much due to their bad proportions, as you already said.
I was thinking of making a mold to change them into pikes. Having trouble though, as I do not like to alter Lego (a sort of moral dilema, I guess).
Keep this attitude :-)
There are nice pikes in the new Orient expedition China sets (only four available in two sets so far, though), so no need to cripple original parts...

Bye
Jojo

Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

I modified one by cutting off a lightsaber length from the bottom. It looks pretty cool, but I don't plan on doing any more so that it is unique. I have also seen people cut off the blade and spike to create a pike, but as mentioned above, there is now a piece for that.

Halberds as-is are good for display, over a doorway or throne, or with a flag attached.
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
dookie
Serf

Post by dookie »

Only given to the guards at the gate. The sheer size of the brick halberd is sure to intimidate most enemies; until they realize that if the mighty blade misses its mark, the bearer will be vulnerable to an easy counter attack.
I like Cup Ramen! What I like even more is the Ramen from the Ichiraku that Iruka Sensei bought me. What I dislike is waiting the three minutes for the Cup Ramen to cook. My hobby is eating lots of Cup Ramen!
- Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto ep. 4)
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I have used my halberds with many of my soldiers, being lego, the physics of battle don't really need to be realistic. The Chrome sword is also out of proportion and the newer mold for the standard sword looks like a wooden practice blade to me, but we use what we have. I have modified these halberds in many ways, from shortening the shaft to cutting of blades and spike to adding a second blade on a short staff to create a wicked battle axe. Adding removed spikes can also create a decent mace. I love the new pike, but it is hard to build an army with parts appearing in so few sets. Especially when one of those sets is so expensive. Lets hope a new array of weapons will become available when lego finally returns to the castle line.

WL
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Dookie wrote:
Only given to the guards at the gate. The sheer size of the brick halberd is sure to intimidate most enemies;
My city gate has these guards for show also.
until they realize that if the mighty blade misses its mark, the bearer will be vulnerable to an easy counter attack.
Which is why I have my backup musketeer with pistol and musket :D

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Benja ... 0front.jpg

I agree that the these pieces are in the wrong scale. Halberds should be big, but this is ridiculous!
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Like Jojo, I put them on a bag, and don't use them. I made the same thing with the chrome sword. I don't like too much disproportionated thing. If I had crusaders knights helmet from about 1990-1992, I'll do the same.

Each of these piece are replacement of existing parts. Maybe, we don't like that Lego change a part for another ! What would you do if Lego decide to make a different bow and arrow for replacement ? I think we would'nt like the newer.
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Hmmm... interesting. But if you think about it isn't a minifig itself out of proportion, too? Their heads are too big, their legs too short, etc. And the same goes to the doors and windows and trees and stuffs in the minifig world. So I guess because I look at it this way I don't mind the halberd at all. In fact, I actually rather like it. :)

And to Dave, just wondering: what makes you classify the halberds as 'replacement of existing parts' instead of simply as expansion of the castle armory? I am just curious because when it comes to something like polearms and swords and stuffs, I welcome variety because it allows us to give individuality to different minifigs and armies. That way our castles won't be populated by 100 identical smilies, but different looking heroes who all have different weapons, shields, headgears, etc. I suppose to me they're just like hairpieces where there can never be too many different styles... I for one would welcome different types of bows from Lego.

Visit Red Bean Studio
gerkenz
Peasant

to big !

Post by gerkenz »

Jep - they are much to big for the minifigs I think, but very good designed.

the pike from "Orient expedition China" Jojo wrote is nearly as big as our "castle-pike" isn't it ?

Looks a little bit more exotic... :wink:

see ya

Kai
----
see ya,
Kai
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Halberd are replacement of 3848 (Castle pike). Ok maybe it's not a replacement, but this is the same kind of weapon, but with a very different size. This cause the impossibility to play together a 1988 Lego with a 1995 castle.

Yes you are true when you say that minifig head are big, but that's the way minifig are. What I try to explained, is when Lego release a new piece, we accept it like it is (the size it is), but when they replace piece, like the silver sword (for exemple), whitch is not the same proportion, it destroy our way to imagine our Lego world, and it's not very confortable.

For example.. Can you play with Yellow Castle Horse and Black Falcon Fortress horse together ? We had accepted the change of Horse in 1984 (because they are better). Not everyone has accept the change from sword to silver sword, because o the change of size. The same for Halberd. When they change a piece, it's as they say that the older is bad. They discredite themselves...

The changes causes separation between Lego Castle period. That's why we have A:1978-1983, B:1984-1990,C:1990-1993?, etc. (above this I didn't try to separate Castle in period (It's a bit complicated)).

I'm a purist. This is my problem... :wink:
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

I have a few and I think they look pretty good some of the time. The truth is that while the "older" sets had their axes and spears it looks to me much like the 13th century there. When I use halberds on minifigs they usually go with plain chest armor and maybe some musketters in the same fashion. Although I have not tried this, one could probably whip up a snappy looking 16th centry army using the spanish helmet from those pirate sets along with that as well.
Dark and Stormy Knight
Serf

Post by Dark and Stormy Knight »

Many early weapons (swords, halberds, etc.) over time developed into sizes that were too large for any purpose other than ceremonial use, parades, and so on. So it's not unrealistic to think of these for use in those roles, and not for use in combat.

DaSK
jeff_o_rama
Laborer

Post by jeff_o_rama »

jojo,

If you're giving away halberds, I would be glad to take them off your hands! :)

If you're serious, please send me a pm.

Thanks,
Jeff
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

. The truth is that while the "older" sets had their axes and spears it looks to me much like the 13th century there. When I use halberds on minifigs they usually go with plain chest armor and maybe some musketters in the same fashion. Although I have not tried this, one could probably whip up a snappy looking 16th centry army using the spanish helmet from those pirate sets along with that as well.
lemon_squeezer2 you are true when you said that Halberd look more in the 16th century than the older type which look 13th century. But 16th century is no more medieval. It ended in 1453 or 1492 (depending of the point of view). This is probably why I don't like them. :wink: