LEGO Digital Designer-a tool to rebuild classics?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Surfpenguin
Serf

LEGO Digital Designer-a tool to rebuild classics?

Post by Surfpenguin »

I had one of those thoughts that occurs to you in the middle of the night: Has anyone out there used Lego's digital design service to re-create those awesome smaller sets that everyone seems to want but can't get for less than $50 on Ebay? Is this financially viable?
"The true measure of a hero is not in the greatness of his deeds, it's in the greatness of the deeds he inspires in others"
Eddard
Serf

Post by Eddard »

I've built a few quite nice MOCs in the Digital Designer and I like it since it easy to use. BUT, the parts available is not many because of LEGO's current parts usage. Sure, you can build alot of nice stuff, but there is no special parts from older sets there. It's basically the parts used in Cafe Corner, Market Street and some added basic parts. It also seams it's exactly the same parts used in the Pick a Brick sortiment.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

The main problem is that castle specific elements such as wagon wheels, castle wall sections, arches, etc are not available with LDD and pick-a-brick. Hopefully this will change sometime in the future.

Ben
Surfpenguin
Serf

Post by Surfpenguin »

Oh well, so much for that idea...
"The true measure of a hero is not in the greatness of his deeds, it's in the greatness of the deeds he inspires in others"
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Yes it feels too limited when I use the program. If they could just sprinkle in some theme and minifigure specific elements in regard to Castle as a general theme I'd be overjoyed.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

architect wrote:The main problem is that castle specific elements such as wagon wheels, castle wall sections, arches, etc are not available with LDD and pick-a-brick. Hopefully this will change sometime in the future.

Ben
I have been waiting a while for that change...
Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
bkwrm79
Serf

Post by bkwrm79 »

As soon as Lego adds castle wall/window sections, buttresses, and maybe a couple other parts that arent' coming to mind, they're getting a huge order from me. Probably pick-a-brick and I'll design when I get them.
menono
Villein

Post by menono »

Wouldn't bricklink be just as good, if not better, as a source for these bricks?
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

menono wrote:Wouldn't bricklink be just as good, if not better, as a source for these bricks?
Yes, however, it is inconvenient, because unless you want to pay large prices, it is very difficult to get all the parts at one store.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

kelderic wrote:
menono wrote:Wouldn't bricklink be just as good, if not better, as a source for these bricks?
Yes, however, it is inconvenient, because unless you want to pay large prices, it is very difficult to get all the parts at one store.

Kelderic
Exactly. I'm working on my castle now and I'm up to 3 orders and I'm not even 1/5th of the way through the bricks, minifigs, accessories, and parts I need.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I suggest purchasing partially complete sets or lots containing pieces of sets on eBay. This allows you to have a small surplus of vintage figs, wall panels, wheels, and old grey bricks and plates at rock bottom prices. Then these surplus pieces can be used to complete or build other sets you get. Many classic sets are not too expensive to assemble.

Of course this is not a good idea for sets that contain very rare pieces like the Yellow Castle, Guarded Inn, or Armor Shop. In those cases, it is more affordable to buy the entire set outright.

Ben
Hillyard
Gong Farmer

Post by Hillyard »

Is the digital designer kind of choppy on anybody elses computer?

It definitely needs some more arches in the mix. I have noticed the parts are exactly what you can buy at the lego pick a brick storefront online.
-Zach
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

It is not choppy for me but my computer is a new dual core so I don't know how much you can take from that. The lack of wall pieces or any poop pieces for that matter seriously hampers my ability to use this program.

I also hope they fix this problem in the future.
Blue Head
Steward

Re: LEGO Digital Designer-a tool to rebuild classics?

Post by Blue Head »

Surfpenguin wrote:I had one of those thoughts that occurs to you in the middle of the night...
So I'm not the only one who thinks about Lego at night... Nice idea though.
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Re: LEGO Digital Designer-a tool to rebuild classics?

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

Blue Head wrote:
Surfpenguin wrote:I had one of those thoughts that occurs to you in the middle of the night...
So I'm not the only one who thinks about Lego at night... Nice idea though.
Haha! I had an awesome Idea last night myself. But the question is: Has an idea ever occurred to you that kept you awake until you implemented it?
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]