Review - 7041 - Troll Battle Wheel

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Morgan19
Artisan

Post by Morgan19 »

Sure thing– I'll snap some pictures of the leader orc's torso as well as the colors later today after work.

m19
Crusader
Peasant

Post by Crusader »

Thanks for the review. I'm sure my boys will love this set, even if I find it a bit lacking. Quick question for you. It may be playable, but is it durable? It's hard to imagine my boys being anything but destructive with this set. So how often I am going to have to rebuild it?
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K.Chesterton
Sir Nelson
Old Wizard

Post by Sir Nelson »

Thanks for the review, m19! It's nice to see the new dark brown available in plates.
"Old Wizards never die, nor fade away. They just kind of operate behind the scenes and in the shadows... doing all of their weird and wonderful Wizardy things and whatnot."
Morgan19
Artisan

Post by Morgan19 »

Crusader wrote:It may be playable, but is it durable?
The meat of the set is absolutely sturdy, at least construction-wise. Because the wheels themselves basically lock into a circle and then have the inner "spokes" to reinforce them, I'd be surprised if they fell apart. The main body is very sturdy because it's mainly bricks reinforced by plates or the various 2x2 round bricks reinforced with long technic pins through them and technic bars around them. Even the top crow's nest is held on via technic pins– I think the LEGO folks were planning on this one being heavily played with.

That being said... Each of the wheels is only held to the main body by a single technic pin, which makes them very easy to pull off and start lobbing around like very heavy throwing stars. I could see the silver tooth pieces on the wheels needing to be put back on, too. And of course there're the little bits and pieces like the pikes, crossbow, and flag pole falling off but I imagine that's to be expected.

But other than that, it's pretty sturdy.

m19
Giorgio Chronas
Villein

Post by Giorgio Chronas »

I just hope that brown color is the color we already know. Cause should Lego change its colours again and again (like the light grey to the light bluish grey, a difference I can only recognize at sun light and makes me angry cause its difficult to sepparate from each other) and we now have another brown, maybe I'll get fed up and leave this lovely hobby (or only buy used parts at Bricklink)... :evil:
Giorgio
rbobo123
Gong Farmer

Post by rbobo123 »

No worries. The new brown isn't a replacement for the existing brown, but a darker shade to exist alongside it. (It's pretty much a chocolate color brown) I personally think the color looks great with the existing brown and the colors are easily distinguishable (they're as different as gray and dark gray).
Crusader
Peasant

Post by Crusader »

Thanks for the answer about sturdiness! It sounds like it falls well within my usual tolerance for breakage, and this is a very good thing. Pretty much as long as I don't have to haul out the instructions to rebuild it, then I'm okay.

Now of course the real question is how much damage is the wheel going to do the rest of my Legos?
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K.Chesterton
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

I will buy this set... I love the parts and know that I can use them well. I really find the whole idea rather dumb (though it looks well-built). I'm glad that I have a lot of extra Scorpion Knights' helmets, because these new helmets don't look great... at least not on the orcs.

Would anyone like to put these helmets on different heads? Maybe on a black head? It might look ok as a wraith, who knows!
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
preterosso
Villein

Post by preterosso »

rbobo123 wrote:No worries. The new brown isn't a replacement for the existing brown, but a darker shade to exist alongside it. (It's pretty much a chocolate color brown)
With the new Indiana Jones sets, this color is probably here to stay -- Indy's leather jacket is this new brown, very distinct from the red-brown of his hat and whip. Maybe THAT's part of the reason for the brown color change: or at least they're taking advantage of the contrast to give us a new, useful color. . . .
Just Phil
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I am not totally crazy about the orc crusher as I was before but more for the fact that it has this silly cannon hidden deep in its guts. I do not mind the concept of the huge monster wheels crushing everything inside though the cannon detracts for me. If/When I get it I may try making the wheels different and putting two orcs (trolls) inside them each or the troll troll behind it to push it around. It seems having the two orcs atop the wheels would not be very effective if you had any archers... shoot one and they will be doing donuts into their allies. I think making a big war wagon like item with the wheels and some other bits might be more effective.

I do not mind the new brown colours really. Nice addition for trees, and terrain etc.

I will have to wait to get some orcs with the new helmets to decide. they look ok I suppose. it took me a while to like the scorpion ones too.

R
ajaxsuperclean
Serf

brown color

Post by ajaxsuperclean »

i for one LOVE the new brown color - it's pretty nice for building for castles, buildings, trees, all kindsa stuff.

Thanks for the nice review.
albero78
Bailiff

Post by albero78 »

Hi all,
when I went to LEGO.com shop to buy the 10193 I found that there was the 7041 battle wheel on sale at 29euros and I decided to buy it.
My decision was taken especially for the price and for the parts, since I don't think it is a really good set, even if it seems to be really playable (but I am 30...).
Was it a good decision in your opinion (taking into account the price and the fact that I am looking for parts)?

I will receive it on monday or tuesday.
Andrea Albertazzi
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=albero78]MY BRICKSHELF GALLERY[/url] | [img]http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/9002/itarp2.jpg[/img]
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

albero78 wrote:My decision was taken especially for the price and for the parts, since I don't think it is a really good set, even if it seems to be really playable (but I am 30...).
Was it a good decision in your opinion (taking into account the price and the fact that I am looking for parts)?
I think its a great set. Both for parts and playablility (and I'm 34 ;) )

I have heard a lot of people say that they didn't like this set, but I think its hysterical and you can't beat the number of dark brown plates, the plethora of hinges, etc.

Excellent set.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

JoshWedin wrote:I think its hysterical
Edit: Oh I read that too fast and thought it said historical. Silly me.

Albero78: I think this is a great set, and definitely worth the €29 you paid for it! Have fun rolling it around your floor on monday or tuesday (that's what I did, I ran all across the house with it, chased the cat, chased my wife, etc.)
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

Of all the recent Castle sets, this one is my least favorite. It's just weird. Too many Technic parts and not much fun to build (do this step, then repeat it 24 times, etc.), but it does have some good parts and the giant wheels are creatively done. I give it a 5/10 for originality and effort, but it loses just as many points for not really going with the other Castle sets very well (in my opinion).