Weekly Set Review: King's Carriage

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Jehkar
Peasant

Post by Jehkar »

I got this set when it came out, and I loved it. A king figure, chrome swords, 3 knights and great selection of peices. The cart could have been better, though.
7.5 or 8 out of 10
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Megablocks followed with him." Revelations 6:8
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

I must say this is a very cool set. Although I don't have it I wish I did. I thas a nce selection of figs. Has two horses. And that is pretty good. Great little set. They playability seems okay. So a 9/10. :D
Space rocks.
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

I agree with Webrain--RK are awesome, my favorite faction.

This cart seems pretty nice in terms of pieces (I recently bought it), and the minifigs are good, but my only regret is that none of the soldier's torsos were the official RK torsos (Although I suppose most of you like it like this).

I think it lends itself to customization, for example you might be able to see from Webrain's pic that you can add another horse 1 x ? flat thing (sorry for the description) and stick on two more horses. I'm not sure how the rest of you like to soup up your sets, but it's one of my favorite things to do as long as you can keep the feel of it.

I'd give it an 8/10

--Caleb

P.S.
RK is the worst Lego castle blunder ever. KK2 looks more promising than this horrid faction. Sorry Webrain, and no offense, but I despise them.
Your entitled to your opinion, but I think I'll open a poll to find out what others think.
AoErat
Villein

Post by AoErat »

I really like this set. Then again, I also like the RK. I don't really think they look that cartoony ... more just brightly colored nobility.

The 3 footsoldiers included in this set are a big bonus for me. Sure, the King gets repetative but this is HIS carriage, after all.

8/10
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This is none of my favourite sets but it's not a bad set, either.
The carriage is quite heavy and here a second harnessed team of horses would have been appropriate. More appropriate than for the coach 6055 in any case.

I always liked the paladin kneeling before the king on the cover picture.

Bye
Jojo

kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Yes it's nice and noble, is'nt it? That's the way to treat a king. :D

I also like that there are three soldiers with the king (they can't all be kninghts can they?)

Did I mention by hte way htat i gave it 10//10 :wink:
I'm back, and so is Castle!
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

I got this set for christmas. but instead of getting this http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=6090_1&v=z
with it. I got a huge mega blocks castle instead. I bet you can tell which one I played with more :wink: I had many funny times with this small cart. it was my first castle cart. and I loved it :)

LR
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Nice set, now. :D
The only thing taking away from it is yet *another* king.
Well, this king looks better than the KKI king, in my opinion. His head is a little more versatile, and his torso would make great guards or special troops (if you have enough duplicates).

The rest of the set looks nice and is great for things like horses and figs. Fig packs are nice, but if you can get a set like this for a proportionate amount of money, I'd take it over a fig pack any day.

One more thing: everyone is entitled to his own opinion, so here's mine on the faction. I don't think the lion looks cartoony and RK is one of my favorite factions. As Will said, it has much variety, which is always nice. So, no offense to those who hate RK, but I would definitely not put KKII or even KI over RK. Sorry, it's just what I think.

8 - 8.5/10
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

Very nice set, I happen to own 2. One of my first sets, and one I loved to play with back then. Unfortunately both sets now contribute to mypiece collection, some not currently in use. 9/10 8)
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
ed_dotcom
Laborer

Post by ed_dotcom »

Well, got the set yesterday... and I am impressed. The amount of weapons is nice, and the amount of minifigs is great for a set this size. Considering all of this I would definitely give it a 9/10... I guess because the cart could have been designed better...

Life is Good.
i am ed & i'm a LEGOholic.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=edeevo]Bricklink Store.[/url]
[url=http://shop.ebay.com/edeevo/m.html?_nkw=&_a ... ksid=p3686]eBay.[/url]
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Never had this set. :cry:
But i'll like to have it.
The cart is good.
Nice soldiers.
Resuming, a fantastic set. 8) :lol:
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

The Good:

Great Carriage

Great soldier minifigs

The Bad:

Another King? Why not a maiden?

The Ugly:

Those Lion shields are horrid!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Luis,

Please do not post multiple posts with single sentences in a row instead of placing all of this text in one post. It takes up space and is quite annoying. Thank you.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I am most likely in the minority here, but I really enjoyed the Royal Knight's line. I felt that it had many s..good sets, and was the last of the decent castle sets before the dark times... before the Fright Knight's....

Much of this however could be clouded due to nostalgia. I was a mere 6th grader with the release of the Royal Knight's line, and thus have memories with such sets as the Skeleton Surprise and Royal Knight's Castle. I will concede that earlier sets I owned in childhood were sometimes superior (Forestmen sets come to mind) but I do feel that the Royal Knight's had quite a bit to offer. In my mind, the decline of castle started with the Fright Knight's, and not with the Dragon Masters as others here would claim. That however is my opinion.

Now, to the purpose of this thread, a review of the King's Carriage. I think that this set is enjoyable overall. You could get a king without buying the Royal Knight's castle (the "set" which only included the king and horse should not have been released due to this set in my mind), you got a decent amount of soldiers to protect said king, as well as some treasure, armaments, horses, and useful pieces.

The overall design of the set is not awful, but could have been improved apon. A brown or mostly black carriage would have been more visually appealing in my eyes. However, the entire Royal Knight's theme seems to have been black on blue, so I cannot fault Lego for being consistant. The main fault with this carriage is the fact that the interior holds only the king. I would have prefered a larger interior so that at least one more minifigure could have ridden inside with the king, such as a queen (which should have been released in this line).

All in all however I think this is a good set. You can buy several of them and modify the carts to create merchant carts, farmer carts, or infantry carts without much difficulty. 8 out of 10.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

ezehogan wrote:I am most likely in the minority here, but I really enjoyed the Royal Knight's line. I felt that it had many s..good sets, and was the last of the decent castle sets before the dark times... before the Fright Knight's....

Much of this however could be clouded due to nostalgia. I was a mere 6th grader with the release of the Royal Knight's line, and thus have memories with such sets as the Skeleton Surprise and Royal Knight's Castle. I will concede that earlier sets I owned in childhood were sometimes superior (Forestmen sets come to mind) but I do feel that the Royal Knight's had quite a bit to offer. In my mind, the decline of castle started with the Fright Knight's, and not with the Dragon Masters as others here would claim. That however is my opinion.
That's the great thing about opinions. We each get to have our own. My opinion is different. :) I grew up during the birth of Lego Castle. My first set was the yellow castle when I was about 7. So naturally, I think of these sets as the best.

In my warped eyes, I see RK as the sets that started the decline of the castle line.