2008 Castle Chess set....insane.

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

That's not gonna be less than $150 USD. I need to start organizing a bake sale. :shock:
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

I saw this over on Eurobricks earlier today.
What a beautiful set!
That's not gonna be less than $150 USD.
I would guess $99.99 USD.
Its roughly twice the size of a normal chess set with probably double the amount of pieces, double the amount of minifigs, etc.

Hmmm....maybe $125?
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Jacob C. wrote:I saw this over on Eurobricks earlier today.
What a beautiful set!
That's not gonna be less than $150 USD.
I would guess $99.99 USD.
Its roughly twice the size of a normal chess set with probably double the amount of pieces, double the amount of minifigs, etc.

Hmmm....maybe $125?
It's alot bigger than that.

Consider that the previous chess boards were nothing more than a 32x32 baseplate with 4x4 plates. This one has alot of elaborate ornamentation around the edges. Heck, the tiles alone add up to 576 pieces. Never mind everything else (horses, bardings, weapons up the wazoo)! A rough guess would be that this set is closer to 4x the size of the previous chess offerings.

I can't wait for this :D .
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

To me it looks like something I've thought about doing. To me, it looks like it's a brick-built retaining wall, probably with some sort of support structure we can't see, with a 48x48 baseplate covered in tiles laying down inside it. Very awesome indeed.

I'm going to guess $100, but I'll probably be wrong. I'll be buying one, either way.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I'm personally not very excited about this set. I'm not really an army builder, so buying this set as a minifigure pack, isn't all that appealing. I also don't know many people who play chess, so to me, its usefulness as a chess set is minimal too. Aesthetically, I don't find it very pleasing. It looks too big and crowded, so I can't see using it as a display piece.

Given all that, I'd find it hard to drop $100 on it, when I could put that $100 towards other sets (i.e. Grocer, the whole '08 Castle line-up, PaB, bricklink purchases, etc.). So I'll probably have to pass on this one.

I was more excited about it when I first saw the pictures, then after a couple of hours, I found my feelings had cooled significantly. Maybe I'll feel differently later.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
leaf_of_lire
Reeve

Post by leaf_of_lire »

Excellent... all I can say. BTW, is it just me or is there a new red sword? Looks like a crusader with a cape on the knights side also. Those rooks are beautiful. Hopefully those tiles are not glued, and hopefully the price is not that bad.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

I am very excited about it but would be absolutely ecstatic if the tiles were not glued. There are a lot of useful parts here if the glue is avoided. Price will make the decision for me as to how many to get. One for sure but more than one if the price is not too high and there is no glue.
Troy T. Moore
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Athos as to its appeal as a chess set. It's a great "battle set"-- and it's got great elements if you're looking to build an army and all. If all those extra pieces got used as part of a landscape and it depicted the clash of the two armies, I'd be totally loving it. And, well, I'm still loving it because it's got some wonderful stuff in there. But it's fairly safe to say I would NOT use this as a chess set. It's way too needlessly busy, and doesn't look like it lends itself to smooth gameplay, the way the other chess sets do.

By my rough count, I get between 1400-1750 pieces, which is *huge* compared to the roughly 250 piece count of the other chess sets (they say 179 and 167, but I think they're skipping the elements of the board). Assuming it's not glued, you're adding a few figs and 1200+ pieces (about $100 worth). I guess by that logic it would be in the $150+ range, but when I look at it and think to myself what I'd *expect* to pay, it'd be closer to $100.

I dunno-- at first I was thinking it'd be a no-brainer that I'd pick this set up. But if it weighs in at $150+, I might have to pass. At $100, I'd buy no problem. $150 starts to get a little iffy-- especially if they offer those battle packs via S@H or in Lego stores!

DaveE
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

:shock: WOW! It's so big! 6x6 squares, a minfig for every piece (chess piece I mean), and so much stuff on the edges. I only have one complaint about this monstor of a chess set, you most likely won't be able to play chess with it. The pawns are all slightly different, the knights are different, and the bishops are different, not to mention that some of the pieces (rooks) are so large it will be hard to see where all your pieces are. Still, you gotta love all the details on the side and the corners.

Also, what is the flag seen on the bad guy' side near the top right. The one sitting on top of the spear that's gray and green. Is it just the angle, or is that a new element?

Hob Took
Escape The Fate
Foot Soldier

Post by Escape The Fate »

OMG... :shock: well, Lego is just asking for my paychecks, this is absolutely gorgeous.

Edit: BTW they all come with sheilds, thank you Lego.
Dr. J
Steward

Post by Dr. J »

This one makes the old Knight's Kingdom chess set look like Hungry Hungry Hippos. :lol:
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

if this is a "Real" set i'm thinking in the $189.99 range.
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
The Phantom
Freeman

Post by The Phantom »

I'm glad I got a job. :P
><>Ben<><
Brickzone
Bailiff

Post by Brickzone »

I'm thinking I need to sell some of my existing Lego. Starting with the Viking Chess Set...

Seriously, despite being able to afford everything, I think it has genuinely reached a point where I am going to have to rationalise which sets to buy. I just cannot justify spending so much of my money on Lego!
STK
Gong Farmer

Post by STK »

I never bought any chess set, but this one is looking fantastic... so i've to buy a lot this year...