2008 Castle Chess set....insane.

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Too rich for my blood...

If it were a castle structure set on par with the ISD or DS2, I probably would buy it, but its only a chess set.

For that price you could snag almost 100 impulse sets and have a huge army. Or if you went the battle pack route, you could get 125 figures.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
jaydawg
Serf

Post by jaydawg »

Wow, $399 CDN does sound pretty rough. I just can't help but think that for $299 USD I could buy 23 battlepacks (115 fully armed minifigs) or 8 of the other chess sets (when they were going for $35). Granted the chess set does have orcs, trolls, and some very nifty pieces . . . but I'll pass for now.
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

For the first $200+ castle set, I would have much preferred to see a UCS Castle.
kris kelvin
Laborer

Post by kris kelvin »

It`s madness.
I`m very dissapointed. For 300 USD they could make awesome castle with +3000 elements and about dozen of minifigs. And they made chess set.
I can`t understand this :( .
Zbudujmy.to member
http://zbudujmy.to
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/kris_kelvin/[/url]
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Huh, well I hate to join the crowd, but $300 is just too rich for my blood for a set like this. I'll agree with some others in that I don't need more of those 3-sided slopes. Those tiles would be nice, but I would rather have dark tan or some-such. If this was an actual castle (and what a castle we could have for 300 smack-a-roos!!! Realistic, even...) I would gladly save up for it!!! But for a chess set, even a rockin' set like this with all those nice figs, I can't plop the dough now, or anytime in the 'visible' future.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Wow, quite a letdown, especially for us Canucks. There isn't much left to say that hasn't already been said, but I will be joining the growing number of people who will be Bricklinking, Battlepacking and Impulsing their ways to larger armies.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Athos wrote
Too rich for my blood...
wunztwice wrote
Huh, well I hate to join the crowd, but $300 is just too rich for my blood for a set like this.
And now I will write. $400 Canadian dollars. Not in this lifetime, sorry. Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful, but just not worth that much for what you get. My opinion may change once I see an inventory as to it's true value, but there is no way it will be $400 :cry:
Troy T. Moore
Dr. J
Steward

Post by Dr. J »

I guess I'll pass on this as well...
Maybe LEGO magazine will have some sort of contest for a free copy?
A guy can only dream.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

I really want to get this one. I really do. But I am afraid the price puts it almost out of reach. I have already passed on the $500 Star Wars set released last year, and they will likely send another set to join it this year. As it is LEGO is putting out an astounding amount of medium and high (and TOO high) priced sets recently. The problem for those who love the Brick is that the sets at those prices are BEAUTIFUL. It's like being 10 all over again and not having enough allowance money to get the toys anymore. God I miss the 1990s when I could afford everything I wanted. It's like LEGO has realized they have an adult market with deeper pockets and so now they made the price tags higher to get even deeper into those pockets. LEGO, I have some limits, even to my insanity here, but I do have some expenses right now that are literally life or death. I know they made this set for US (for me, really), but I will have to wait to see if there is a cut rate option to even consider a possible purchase. Hopefully this set will be on the sales block for a while, so I might take a crack at it... but that Millenium Falcon was first in line (though the line ever grows)!

And might I add here that if the board is glued, then they'll get NONE of my money.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

My thought is that if I shell out that many clams something will happen that I'll need the money elsewhere like car repair, doctor bill, etc. I'll be thinking long and hard on this one. Maybe the Wizard named Visa AMEXicus will conjure me up one.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

[quote="natelite"]they screwed up the australian pricing again. :P hurry up ozzie brethrens. lap up those sets for AU$300

I’m sure there is no error with the Aust price but the Canadian price seems high again, It really amazes me how the Canadian price is so different to the US.

CAD 399.99
NZD 349.99
USD 299.99
AUD 299.99

Natelite I agree, I am waiting for a discount to even consider purchasing this set, hopefully it wont be flags again, this is way over my budget for this year.

I only collect the current sets as MISB. I wait until late next year before even thinking about this, obviously if I ever purchase it at these prices I won’t be opening it.

Mario
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

MarioDAlessio wrote:
natelite wrote:they screwed up the australian pricing again. :P hurry up ozzie brethrens. lap up those sets for AU$300

I’m sure there is no error with the Aust price but the Canadian price seems high again, It really amazes me how the Canadian price is so different to the US.

CAD 399.99
NZD 349.99
USD 299.99
AUD 299.99

Natelite I agree, I am waiting for a discount to even consider purchasing this set, hopefully it wont be flags again, this is way over my budget for this year.

I only collect the current sets as MISB. I wait until late next year before even thinking about this, obviously if I ever purchase it at these prices I won’t be opening it.

Mario
Different than the US? The Canadian price is simply out of whack with the rest of the world.

We're paying $100 more than pretty much the rest of the world. It seems that as American prices rise, LEGO is feeling the need to punish Canada or something. After tax this thing is going to cost me almost $450 US?!!

No thanks.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
natelite
Foot Soldier

Post by natelite »

wow...i was just browsing the shop@home site and saw that the giant castle chess set made it to the top 12 in the australian hot list. :P i guess ozzies have more discretionary cash lying around. :D most of its top 25 items are above $100, like cafe corner, green grocer, market street, etc.

if you check the US's top 25, the items are mostly below $100.

and if you were thinking of fx rate differences, AUD:USD is now at 1.1:1.0, ie. almost at a 1 to 1 ratio.

probably make more sense to just buy from BL sellers despite the high shipping cost.
Brickzone
Bailiff

Post by Brickzone »

It's probably worth the price, and if you were a Chess and Lego fan it would be awesome. However, for €200 I just can't justify the expenditure.

I hate to join the brigade of negative comments considering how incredible this set is, a masterpiece, but it's just a bridge too far pricewise in my case.

Strange to feel like back in my childhood days of unacheivable wants, except in this case, I could afford this many times over but yet choose to save my money instead.
Lego Knight
Freeman

Post by Lego Knight »

I could afford this also yet it isn't worth it. Maybe a few more Dwarven Mines on the other hand.