Crownies!

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Thor
Foot Soldier

Post by Thor »

CastleLord wrote:[
But you have to remember that the sets are ment for children and i can't imagine a eight year child having all the Castle sets.

CastleLord.
Ha ha...you havn't seen the 8 year old kids in my neighborhood...mommy and daddy buy them whatever they want. Their BMW bike costs more than my truck!
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

But you have to remember that the sets are ment for children and i can't imagine a eight year child having all the Castle sets.

Since I was a child back in the day when the Classic figures were released I thought this would be a fair comparison.

I made up a list of all of the crownies released so far. This includes the medieval market village, but not the other 2009 sets. If you buy one of each set including the game sets you get.

25 light infantry.
8 heavy infantry.
7 heavy cavalry.
3 kings.
9 archers.

I suppose when you look at classic castle, the crusaders were released over a 9 year span nonstop adding up to 60 figures. Although a few years they only had 1 or 2 sets they were in. If the crownies were still going 6 years from now I think I would poop my pants. :oops: I think we are in a different age right now so I will not worry about that.

As it stands if you include this years leaked releases the crownies will have as many minifigs in sets as any of the other factions ever made. I put it at 60 crownies after this years releases, although 5 of those are kings. Obviously it is possible that late this year some sets may be released as well.

In conclusion a cowardly scottish peasant once said. "Home... The crownies are too many!" :shock:

In 3 years the crownies have reached the levels of the Crusaders... (and could surpass them late this year) If someone doesn't stop them soon we will have to start up a new thread about who will win the castle war. :wink:
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

CastleLord wrote:But you have to remember that the sets are ment for children and i can't imagine a eight year child having all the Castle sets.
I can speak from my own experience here. I was 8 years old when Lego came up with the first more elaborated Castle sets since the Yellow Castle Era. In 1984 there were 6010, 6022, 6023, 6030, 6040, 6061, 6073, 6080. I'm not from a whealthy family, but there is Christmas (at least 1 big set), your birthday (at least another big set), your pocket money (several small sets throughout the year), and there are also your grandparents and godmothers. So within a year I got them all.

I admit today’s sets are bigger and more expensive, and they are not available as long as they used to be. But I would say it is still possible for an 8-year-old to get them all if they don’t squander their Christmas-wish-contingent and pocket money on X-boxes and sweeties. Let alone Bionicles.
OK, maybe not the giant Castle Chess. Or maybe yes.

Bye
Jojo
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Jojo wrote:Or maybe yes.
I really don't know any kids that are that focused. I was a very focused child, but even I had some varied wishes getting in the way of a complete LEGO collection as a child.

With video games and iPods nowdays being so much more *distracting*, the goal of completeness is probably much owed to the adult guardian.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I think Dale's point is being missed. Over the decade with crusaders sets the number of men was about the same as the 2.5 years of crownies in current sets. This shows a massive increase in the percent of sets with crownies. Kids may not need to get every set now for with a few buys they have the same if not more crownies than compared to numbers of crusaders in sets of that era.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
The_Hun
Laborer

Post by The_Hun »

I'd like to add that Crusaders produced four types of torsos in those 9 years - the axe, the lion, the breastplate and the scale mail pattern. We've already had 3 Crown torsos plus the Crown-patterned breastplate for knights (and that's not counting the king's or the plain silver breastplates). So basically, we're spoiled. But I still hope for at least one other Crown torso...
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=The_Hun]My Bricklink[/url] * [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=TheHun]My Brickshelf[/url]
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

I'll be updating my Crown army when my Bricklink order arrives (no minifigs, but a few accessories).
The_Hun
Laborer

Re: Crownies!

Post by The_Hun »

I've just updated my Brickshelf folder with close-ups of my Crown (and other) soldiers. Click here!
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=The_Hun]My Bricklink[/url] * [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=TheHun]My Brickshelf[/url]
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

I have two but by the end of the year I will have about 30. :)
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Post by Blue Moon Knight »

Let's see:
2 form cross bow set
2 from catapult set
2 from tower raid
2 from skelly wagon
1 fig in armor from dwarf mine
I think that's all, so 9.
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
Griffon
Foot Soldier

Post by Griffon »

I've got thirteen now but my intention is to get a lot more. My favourite? The archers.
dyntar
Foot Soldier

Post by dyntar »

Sorry to dig up a slightly old thread..

But i'm not liking the Crownies tonight.. :mad: i finally got all of my castle sets out of storage and did a head count...

I've always been a lifelong supporter of the Black dragons [Black knights] and i'm sad to say after my recent purchases.. [this years sets] that the Crownies have outnumbered my Black Dragons.
I don't have huge armies... I only had 21 Blacks.. after the 2 guys in the boat from set 6018 defected to the Falcons. But I still stuck by my Black Dragons. Now I have 26 Crownies not including the dwarves.. Now i'm going to have to go shopping online for more Black Dragon sets to keep their numbers up.. Can't have the Crownies outnumbering my favs.

Why do we get so many Crownies from Dulok??? [I figure the Crownies are lord Farquads men from Shrek.. Welcome to Dulok such a perfect town...etc lol] am I the only one sick of all the soldiers being grey, blue, silver and gold?? :lol:

At least the Blacks had different touches to their armour and uniform.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

dyntar wrote:am I the only one sick of all the soldiers being grey, blue, silver and gold?? :lol:
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have way more Crownies than I meant to have. However, I think it is probably a common thing as a subtheme ages. They are most common right now, because they are available in stores. Who knows, you may develop a liking for them after they've been discontinued for a few years.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Griffon
Foot Soldier

Post by Griffon »

Griffon wrote:I've got thirteen now but my intention is to get a lot more. My favourite? The archers.
These numbers have grown indeed but my Crusader army has grown even bigger. I have no Black dragon army now, they have been turned into Crusaders :D
I stil like the Crownie archers a lot and will continue collecting more off them.
dyntar
Foot Soldier

Post by dyntar »

Crownies still annoy me.. but i must also say that i do like the different faces.. my fav so far is the double sided head.. the smirk.. [the I shot him with my crossbow, oooh yeaaaah ...face ] then on the other side the Aaaaaaaah!! [they got big trolls! face] :D