7037 Tower Raid and 7040 Dwarves' Mine Defender

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Hob,

I added a longer black post and placed another rubberband on.... looks much better to me.

R
Brickule
Servant of the Secret Fire

Post by Brickule »

I plan to get the mine defender, and motorize it.
man at ye old well
Foot Soldier

Post by man at ye old well »

I think I might get these set, but not in the near future. I'm planning on spending most of my money on some Royal Knights for my Royal Drawbridge scaled up version. I think the dwarf catapult has to be my favourite of the 2. It reminds me of the old adventure sets with all it's cool features. Like this, linky.

,Old Weller
Drop the LEGO and nobody gets hurt!
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=ye-old-well]My Brickshelf[/url] [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/125743370@N02/]My Flickr[/url]
They Have A Cave Troll
Villein

Post by They Have A Cave Troll »

I have two towers and one mine defender. The mine defender is alright, great for the extra banner and those rare dwarves. The Tower Raid is really awesome though, I love the battering ram and the extra crown towers made for nice addons to our castle.
dragonblade24
Apprentice

Post by dragonblade24 »

i got the mine defender. this set comes with a good amount of minifigs,3 and a working mini siege weapon. plus a troll flag and useful brown pieces :)
1. work!
2. work harder!
3. When all else fails.....BUILD LEGOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we fly to victory!' said the dragon king.
They Have A Cave Troll
Villein

Post by They Have A Cave Troll »

^ I see the defender more as an anti-troll (the big cave troll) weapon. Since the big dumb dumbs would just walk right into the pointy bits 8)
legokilt
Bailiff

Tower Raid

Post by legokilt »

I too agree that the Tower Raid set is impressive and extremely playable. I only hope that I can fit it on my table as part of my expanded castle. The seige towere is great and combines two great features, the ram and the sliding platform. I bouth two of this set and made on simply the ram with extended cover for which ever unfortunate trolls get to ram the gates with it, and the other is modified into a seige tower with ladders leading to the second the top levels. Very well done.
Gomur
Apprentice

Post by Gomur »

I bought Tower Raid today and I was very impressed. For the price you get a nice little bunch of figs, a suprisingly terrific siege tower that is not only full of awesome little things that move and great details, but includes a ton of brown which I don't have. The best part about this set, though, is that it includes loads of the pieces that define this era of castle: chains, banners, three long ceremonial spear/halbreds, a dragon head ornament, troll armor and shield, etc. And as if that weren't enough, it defies my earlier critique of the Mine Defender in that it has enough pieces that you could probably make some cool MOCs with just the pieces you get in this one set. If I had known how neat it would be, I would have skipped the Mine Defender and just gotten a second set of this.
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

Great review! I actually didn't want any of this year's new sets, but I might have to reconsider...

Now, Tony, let me ask you something. I'm building a MOC(particularly a village and feudal mansion surrounded in forest and connected by and aqueduct), and need a few more unique pieces. I was considering getting the Tower Raid, because It looks to be the most useful thing I can get for a generally low price(if I had an extra $100 lying around, I'd go for another of the Castle Siege. :wink: ). So, would you recommend it to me, for the pieces?
Lord Tyler II
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Tyler II »

Thanks for the reviews! These sound like some pretty good sets!
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

CVfan13 wrote:So, would you recommend it to me, for the pieces?
The set has some good unique pieces, but if you're looking to get more grey than black and brown, you should look at other sets.

However, in all honesty, you would be much better off patronizing the shops at Bricklink than buying a set for parts - you'll save a lot more money that way.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
turambar
Villein

Post by turambar »

i was suprised how good tower raid is because at first i dindn `t want to buy it but then i get two boxes for a gift and no i see why it is one of the best sets in 2008 also i must buy mine defender soon.
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

SavaTheAggie wrote:
CVfan13 wrote:So, would you recommend it to me, for the pieces?
The set has some good unique pieces, but if you're looking to get more grey than black and brown, you should look at other sets.

However, in all honesty, you would be much better off patronizing the shops at Bricklink than buying a set for parts - you'll save a lot more money that way.

--Tony
Thank you!

Well, I bought the set anyway... and I like it! :D I built it, played with a bit, then disassembled it to use in my MOC, and so far it's very useful. I might use the brown for some trees, it's certainly good for furniture... I've managed to build one village house with the pieces from the tower... so all in all, it was worth it.
man at ye old well
Foot Soldier

Post by man at ye old well »

Well I went out and got them both, instead of spending my money on royal knights.

I was very pleased with both sets. My only complaint is that one of my flags is reversed, :? but I think it might be useful in a moc where you have flags on a wall.

I really like the orcs, and now I have 10 with buying these 2 sets to add to 5 orcs from the battle wheel and mine. :P

Oh, and great review. :D

,Old Weller
Drop the LEGO and nobody gets hurt!
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=ye-old-well]My Brickshelf[/url] [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/125743370@N02/]My Flickr[/url]
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

man at ye old well wrote: I was very pleased with both sets. My only complaint is that one of my flags is reversed, :? but I think it might be useful in a moc where you have flags on a wall.
Was it the gold one in the Tower set? I had the same thing! Weird...