Agree
52%
Disagree
48%

Total votes: 62

AmperZand
Apprentice

Post by AmperZand »

Formendacil wrote:I could also make mention of the overall presentation of... good (sand blue) wizards being very unTolkienesque
At the risk of being branded king of the pedants, both Alatar and Pallando were blue wizards who were good (at least initially). Also, Gandalf the Grey's hat, despite the cognomen, was blue. Moreover, the shade of sand blue used by TLC is close to being a shade of grey which, as we known, is the colouration of a good wizard in LotR.
Formendacil wrote:It merely goes to show that we have a generic Castle theme, as far as the good guys go it's probably more King Arthur's genre than anything else, and as far as the Dwarves/Elves/and diverse baddies go, it's more Dungeons & Dragons and generic modern fantasy than particularly Tolkien.
FWIW, I agree.
My Brickshelf Gallery: www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=182210

From Family Guy:
Peter: "You've got Legos? Cool! Lois only gets me Mega Bloks."
Lois: "It's the same thing."
Peter: "No, it isn't."
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

AmperZand wrote:At the risk of being branded king of the pedants, both Alatar and Pallando were blue wizards who were good (at least initially). Also, Gandalf the Grey's hat, despite the cognomen, was blue. Moreover, the shade of sand blue used by TLC is close to being a shade of grey which, as we known, is the colouration of a good wizard in LotR.
Yes, yes... Morinehtar and Rómestámo. Trust me, I am well acquainted with the Ithyrn Luin.

My point about the Good Wizard was not that he was dressed in blue, but with the idea of his star-spangled hat in mind. To my way of thinking, this is very un-Tolkienesque, and bears a lot more resemblance to Merlin of the Disney's Sword in the Stone, that is to say, more of a generic children's wizard than one of Tolkien's Istari.

So your point bears up, insofar as we are talking past each other.
Heir of Black Falcon wrote:It is in Silmarillion. There are plenty of mentions of vampires and werewoves in it.
I think it might be a bit of an exaggeration to say "plenty" of references, but yes, in the Silmarillion there are definitely mention of Werewolves (Tol-in-Gaurhoth, Sauron's fortress, = Island of Werewolves), and Thuringwethil it is merely said:

"She was the messenger of Sauron, and was wont to fly in vampire's form to Angband; and her great fingered wings were barbed at each joint's end with an iron claw."

Now, "vampire's form" clearly means (from the text and index note) "bat's form", so one could contest whether or not there are vampires, as we generally conceive of them, in Middle-earth, or just big bats... and Thuringwethil is merely said to take the form (implying she has a choice) and that does not itself necessitate that the form she is taking has instantiation elsewhere... though it can definitely indicate it.

In any case, I never denied the existence of vampires in Middle-earth, so who am I to be arguing against them? If anything, there Middle-earthian existence would prove further the distance between Tolkien and Castle 2007/8. One will note that the latter has no vampires. :wink:

As to the charges regarding undead, I will modify my wording for the sake of clarity, to emphasize that I mean reanimated skeletons in the sense used in Castle 2007/8, just in case that wasn't clear, and add...

1.) Nazgûl definitely aren't undead, since they never died, as already pointed out. Furthermore, they are most clearly not reanimated skeletons, since they are invisible, fully-bodied.

2.) The Army of the Dead that Aragorn summons is, again, not animated corpses. And, in fact, they are quite the opposite of Undead (as the name, Dead, signifies). Instead of being mindless, or nearly so, zombie corpses, the revivified physical element of a dead person, the Army of the Dead is pure spirit, the lingering incorporeal element of the dead. Quite different entirely.

3.) "For living or dark undead, I will smite you": clearly shows I should have clarified regarding skeleton revivification... but in case it's not clear, this obviously refers to the fact that Witch-king (and the Nazgûl in general) are not dead (=un-dead), when this is an anomalous fact (they, humans, should be by this stage).

As for the whole Knights thing... my whole point wasn't so much the name, as I did concede with the Dol Amroth nod, as the Euro-visored image of a classic, "knight in shining armour", which as a general look never appears in Middle-earth.

~Michael A. Joosten - Official CC Tolkienologist and veering-towards-offtopic Moderator~
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

This particular Castle theme fits more with Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain, but then I am but one voice in the seas of chaos. :wink:
CornLegoCorn
Freeman

Post by CornLegoCorn »

This should satisy EVERYONE... Least ways I hope so...

Simply in these Categories:

Crownies: The architecture matches no race of men specifically in Lotr, Meaning Roahn, Gondor, Arnor, Numenor, And Dale (which was unmentioned). The Recurrance of the word "Knight" is only used specifically to the mounted Soldiers of Dol Amroth on the southern shoreline of Gondor, the Rohirim are not name "Knights" or the few horsemen of Minas Tirith. Again helmet and armor style are different, As Formendicil said the view of Knights in shining armor is basically mention of the Knights of Dol Amroth, with that helmet shape, the archer helmet dose not match any of that in Lotr (The Helmets of Minas Tirith do not have a flap). The Euro armor again is not used, accept for the Knights of Dol Amroth. Weapons are pretty much good. Kings also did not have ornate golden Crowns as in Lego, The Crowns of Lotr are more Tiara like then what Lego has, and the Lego King's Golden sword... First off golden swords just don't make any sense as it is...

Skellies: Undead creatures, animated corpses, are Lotr-ish but again do not match. The Nazgul are never reffered to as "Dead" just fallen, and in the famous lines: "Nine for Mortal Men, Doomed to Die..." meaning that men are not immortal like the elves, and are doomed to leave Middle-Earth. Meaning the Nazgul were "Fallen Kings" who like Gollum were Given "un-naturally long life" and the Nine rings started to turn them permenantly invisible unless robes were worn. The Barrow Wights are corrupted souls that were risen by sorcerers of Angmar, They arn't necesarilly bodies, just spirits. The men of the Dwimorburg are souls who have not been granted rest. They were cursed by Isildur for abandoning them in the Closing battle of the Second Age.

Dwarves: Probably the most Fantasyish out of everything. The Dwarves in Lego mine, don't all dwarves in everything do? The Lego castle dwarves don't fight unless they are threatened, as in Lotr. The Dwarves in Lotr are greedy and in the Dwarrowdelf dug until Durin's Bane was unleashed.

Trolls: The Lego Trolls are very similar to Lotr Goblins. The Big differences are that Lotr Goblins did not have ships, or siege equipment. And are also not as organised. Lotr Goblins had control over the Cave Troll which matches pretty well with Lego Castle.

Elves (unreleased): This could be one of many big factors deciding this. Elves are not copyrighted. So Lego has room. If Lego really releases Elves I would think they'd be Mirkwoodish. BUT the Lego company as with the Dwarves and Crownies will make a big elven king and all that stuff. And as mentioned there's the Stereotype that all Elves are Archers... no... Elven Spearmen, Swordsman... you name it.

AS WE ALL KNOW: The Lego factions are SIMILAR to Lotr BUT not exactly the Same.

There.
Lamenting is the opening to the world of night.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

There are flaws in your arguement, but I am feeling particularly concilitory today and have been taken over by the Spirit of the Monty Python in this matter and so where your errors are I am simply not going to tell you right now. At the very least, not until you have brought me a proper shrubbery!
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Sibley
Foot Soldier

Post by Sibley »

CornLegoCorn wrote:This should satisy EVERYONE... Least ways I hope so...
Who are you arguing with? This just seems like a rebuttal of your own first post.

Confusedly yours,
~Dan Sibley
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=DSibley]Brickshelf[/url] | [url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/1225]MOCPages[/url] | [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsibley/]Flickr[/url]
CornLegoCorn
Freeman

Post by CornLegoCorn »

It might argue with my first post, but, Analyzing all the posts, and changing my own mind a bit, that is what I came up with. Sorry to Confuse.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Count Blacktron wrote:At the very least, not until you have brought me a proper shrubbery!
There you are:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=6064
CornLegoCorn wrote:It might argue with my first post, but, Analyzing all the posts, and changing my own mind a bit, that is what I came up with.
Good, then I take it we all agree that it all makes sense? Nothing more to say.

Right?

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Robin Hood wrote:
Count Blacktron wrote:At the very least, not until you have brought me a proper shrubbery!
There you are:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=6064

Dan :wink:
That's virtually what I asked for! :wink: :wink:

Personally I prefer LEGO to steer away from licensed Castle fantasy. Harry Potter was nice for a while, but there was only so much I could do with the official sets after a while. Sure they were great for accessories, interiors and parts, but the figures lacked Castle-y-ness. I am afraid that were LEGO to do Lord Of The Rings, they would be forced by the license to focus most heavily upon characters and less so on fortresses and armies. LEGO often can do just fine in creating a satisfying theme of their own and populate it with a smattering of characters and troopers. Either way, I am afraid however that LEGO never gives us enough peasants, villagers, farmers or merchants. And not since the early 1990s have there been ponies and PITCHFORKS!!!

Even LOTR would not grant us the Holy Pitchfork. If we did have to have a Castle theme based upon literature, I'd prefer my aforementioned Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain. Then for sure we'd get some nice bits and interesting sets from the imaginations of the LEGO Set Design team. We'd also get peasants, farmers, pitchforks and piggies!! :wink:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
CornLegoCorn
Freeman

Post by CornLegoCorn »

[quote="Count Blacktron]Personally I prefer LEGO to steer away from licensed Castle fantasy. Harry Potter was nice for a while, but there was only so much I could do with the official sets after a while. [/quote]

But what's with all the tan pieces? o.O

That is another topic another day.
Ben the lego king
Apprentice

Post by Ben the lego king »

CornLegoCorn wrote: Trolls: The Lego Trolls are very similar to Lotr Goblins. The Big differences are that Lotr Goblins did not have ships, or siege equipment.
the orks do have ships in "the return of the king". they seige minas tirath. and do have seige machines.
Last edited by Ben the lego king on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
KKI is the best KKI is the best
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Ben the lego king wrote:
CornLegoCorn wrote: Trolls: The Lego Trolls are very similar to Lotr Goblins. The Big differences are that Lotr Goblins did not have ships, or siege equipment.
you lie.
the orks do have ships in "the return of the king". they seige minas tirath. and do have seige machines.
Rather strong words there, Are you sure you wish to be so rude when you in fact are wrong? It was not the "Orcs" who had ships, but rather the Corsairs of Umbar, allies of the Dark Lord and in fact men.

And as for Goblins, well we all know from The Red Book that in common speech the Orcs are the same as Goblins. Yet in Tolkien's world people most often refer to those from the Misty Mountains as Goblins while those that come from Mordor are known as Orcs. Fact is that Tolkien is not LEGO and neither is the other.

But you don't have to be rude and call someone a liar. Please remember your manners and Ps & Qs.

Respectfully,
-Aaron-
Ben the lego king
Apprentice

Post by Ben the lego king »

sorry I rechractide it.
KKI is the best KKI is the best
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Ben,

Good of you to do so.

We can all discuss this and have no bad feelings for it. We are all to think how we judge best to our best understanding, though others with other views or more info may help expand them. It works the other way as well. No reason to feel bothered in any form we are all friends here or should be.

You are right though the orcs do make ships and barges at least on a few occasions. In the chapter of the siege of Gondor is one instance. They use them to cross the river in surprise attacks.

Michael,

As for if the Black riders are undead, dead or whatever. Tolkien uses the word undead to describe them on occasion so I have always figured them so. He refers to the dagger of merry piercing the undead flesh beneath the hauberk. I think parts of this difference simply are people’s different definitions of what constitutes undead by the sounds of it. To each his own I suspect. Merriam Webster online has for a definition of undead as undead…. Useful.

Yes I agree they were not common only that there are plenty of reference to vampires and werewolves. I can think of more than the messenger though. Sauron takes the form of a vampire (after that of a werewolf) after being defeated by Huan. I think also that the land Taur-nu-Fuin(Sp?) is mentioned as being filled by all sorts of evils, werewolves, vampires etc. Seemingly in one of the unfinished books published after Tolkien’s death there is more info indicating them to be rebel Maiar. I do not have them in my library here so I cannot check. I agree they do not seem to be standard vampires like Dracula though.

I think in the end TLC is not basing it specifically off any fantasy books, games, etc. Just take little bits here and there. I actually do not want them to do as it takes away from the fun of making your own ideas and stories up. Tolkien will always be to me the best fantasy work of art don’t get me wrong.

R
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
siabur
Laborer

Post by siabur »

Now what? My favorite question in story writing. Maybe Lego came to this point with the castle theme. Someone suggested orcs, trolls, dwarves, elves, additional factions to keep the castle fresh line and fun. I'm not a big fantasy person, I've never read LOTR, or any fantasy mentioned. I just like castles. I prefer history and myth to most literary fiction of any genre. From what I've read in thread is that there are a lot of people who love the fantasy genre. Originallity is rare. IMO it comes down to what you want your world to be. Apply LOTR mythology or not. It's your world. Enjoy the tools Lego has given us to use.