Weekly Set Review: Sea Serpent

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
BlackRavenLord
Gong Farmer

Post by BlackRavenLord »

I love this set. I always used to pretend (and still do) that the Raven Knights... er excuse my ignorance Black Falcons and the Black Knights or Dragon Guys or whatever were allies, and all the Lion type dudes and Royal Knights were allies, and then the Fright Knights and Bulls and whoever else I thought looked evil were a team, and the Forestmen were whatever I wanted, and the Wolfpack were sometimes with the Forestmen and sometimes with the... well that's beside the point. *ehem* anyway. Yeah I love this set, still got all the parts. After about a year though I just about always lose the instructions, or did. Now there aren't any sets left keeping the way they are unless I buy some of the Castle stuff from the Magazine.
-=Ex Noctis Amor=-
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hoppla!

I missed this.

This ship is well done, it has this special erm... ship-feeling. OK, it's only a very verry verrry small cog, but at least it is a cog. In a way.
And it has Black Falcons. This set lasted in the catalogue until 1994, thus the Black Falcons outlasted the Lion Knights (aka Crusaders). Harhar. OK, I don't like the grey legs of the Black Falcons but, hey, that's better than nothing...

Bye
Jojo

Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

A very nice set. Many figures, a nice little boat and maaany shields for your soldiers who don't have one yet. It also has the helmet accesoires at the front, which I like alot.
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"
Chrislad77
Foot Soldier

Post by Chrislad77 »

I love this little set, my earlist lego memories are of playing with this. My brother and I each owned one and it gave us a nice little army to work with. It's so loaded with nostalgia for me I can't help but give it nothing but praise.
Zacku
Laborer

Post by Zacku »

I was very young when this set first came out. But either way, I was astounded by it. Unfortunately, all the calls my mom made to LEGO couldn't land us this set. But thanks to a little website called "Bricklink", I now have myself one of these! :D And it's just as awesome as I thought it would be. It comes with some awesome minifigures, plenty of shields and weapons, and tons of play value. It also established what I saw as a rivalry between the Falcons and the Black Knights. It currently serves as a ship in my Royal navy.

My rating: 10/10, and I'm not being overly generous, either.
Your ad here.
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

The best castle ship in my opinion enough said.
10/10 for the rare accessories! I am leniet to all lego sets gooday to all :)
Shadowviking
Councilor

Post by Shadowviking »

Want it, want it, want it... *sigh* But don't have it... :cry:
I love this set, I've always wanted it, but then I get distracted by something else.(not to mention that I had the misfortune to be born *after* it came out)
Very cool, with five soldiers, a cool boat, and a neat sail, I'd say 10/10.
...and that's how Equestria was made!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/people/shadowviking/]flickr[/url] | [url=http://receptacle.tumblr.com/]tumblr[/url] | [url=http://tellers-tales.wikidot.com/]teller's tales[/url]
ghoulrealm
Villein

Post by ghoulrealm »

I bought this set from a friend about a year ago. He said he had a couple of pirate ships, but I was overjoyed that he had brought this little gem as well. I had to contain my composure so he didn't ask for more money :twisted:
Usually when I get a set I do at least a little bit of moccing to it. But This is one of few official designs that I deem perfect as is. I even like the colors. 10 of 10 and my favorite set of all the castle themes.
Knight David
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by Knight David »

This is one of the best castle sets ever, IMO. it has great pieces and 5 mini figs. It was worth buying.

David
ericgizmo
Freeman

Post by ericgizmo »

Very great set, lots of figs plus rare pieces. this is a very good ship. 10/10
Coatsy
Laborer

Post by Coatsy »

I remember this set with a great fondness. It was the first set that I purchased with the scale armor/Black Knight soldiers.

I have to agree with Knight David that for five figures a one of the better ship designs at the time that this is a stellar set.

I give it an overall 9 of 10. The reason it does not get a 10 of 10 is because I thought the ship itself could be a bit larger. But any Lego crazy builder worth his or her salt could remedy that problem with some spare pieces.

Like I've said before they sure don't make 'um like they used to!
Herb Coats

"Chimichanga!"
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

For under $20 bucks back in the day this was a stellar set. They were even easy enough to find at TRU stores in the USA, and had plenty of charm, minifigure knights armor & arms and could be modified to be a decent addition to the merchant fleet of the Pirates vs Soldiers line.

9 out of 10, mostly because I can't think of many realistic or good uses for thos blue half-turret pieces. :wink:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Rusty Brick
Laborer

Post by Rusty Brick »

I remember not buying this set because I thought the dragon on the sail looked silly. :roll:

Great set. Love the number of shields included. Overall 9/10, I would also buy several if it were a legends set.
~R. Brick

Got Lego?
Knight David
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by Knight David »

i agree the number of shield's was a great advantage of this set!!!

David
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

This is the only set I have that came with Black Falcons. :( The rest of the figs are great aswell. I love the all the little details this set has. I especially like the sail. Overall I say this set is great. Great figs, acessories, parts, everything. :D