7093 Skeleton Tower (My so-called review)

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Wolfpacker
Serf

7093 Skeleton Tower (My so-called review)

Post by Wolfpacker »

Well, I've bought my SECOND Castle set from the new range (and I don't even own any actual Wolfpack sets yet...I need to get my priorities straight :lol: ), 7093 Skeleton Tower. This set currently isn't reviewed, so I thought I'd step up to the plate and deliver my opinion on this set.

The first thing you'll notice is the...erm..shall we say, "unique", design? By "unique", I mean, of course, that it doesn't look like a castle. Or a tower, really. Or much of anything, to be honest. However, this is really not much of a problem, because of good uses of pieces, good pieces in general, and very good use of the colours, which are red, black, and white. These colours are very striking, and fit the theme of the skeletons very well. There are two, well, TOWERS on either side of the main structure, one of which has a catapault, and the other is simply a mildly decorated hollow tower wall piece. The main tower is black, and the whole thing is contrasted in a very distinctive coat of teeth decorations. A very cool bone cage holds the damsel in distress. The most distinctive element I have saved for last. The face (pun very much intended) of this model is the giant skull, angrily staring at you when you aren't playing with it. :wink: It has a MASSIVE jaw, with lots o' teeth, and it will open and close (I'll get to this later)! But my favorite touch is a very small one. There is a crystal ball for the Evil Wizard (I'll get to him later too) to stand behind and look cool. Hoewever, there is one problem with the design I'm none too fond of. There are two pieces with three claws on each. They are spindly, and can pop off with little effort, but it's a minor gripe. Overall, the design is very good, and hearkens back to the days of the Fright Knights (*thunderclap*).

Play features are minimal. This works in its favour, as too many features would clutter this vertically-based tower too much. The first is the small catapault on one tower. With a mighty flick, you can send a little projectile at the infidels! :D The next is a little spiderweb on the back of the set. Not much to say about that. NEXT! The cage holding the maiden can open up to let her loose. There. NEXT! The most exstensive feature is the semi-complex gear system, so that when you turn a wheel, the jaw opens and closes. This feature is slighlty flawed, though, as the new, fresh LEGO pieces are VERY tight, which means that opening it means you kind of have to loosen it with the winch, and then just pull it down. It closes fine, though. The bottom of the jaw also splits down the middle to open and close like a conventional door, for those who aren't up to getting eaten. These play features are actually very nice, because they are all very fun, and don't interfere with the model much.

However, the most important part of any great LEGO set is a good handful of minifigs! This set includes:
-2 Skeletons (1 with a scythe, 1 with a mace and shield)
-The Damsel in Distress
-1 Crown Knight ( Has a chrome sword, helmet, shield, euro armour, and horse barding for his white stallion)
-The Evil Wizard (With the most ostentatious staff EVER)
-Not really a MINIFIG, per se, but the shoe fits: a dragon.
-A bat.
These minis, while few, are a very good variety, with a good batch of accessories. The Damsel/Maiden also has a face-swapping feature: Either a calm, smirking look, or pure "Prncess Peach is in trouble again" face.
The minis are fun to have fights with, and having The Evil Wizard looming above with his crystal ball is too good to miss. :P Also, if you bought a few army-builder sets (like Crossbow Attack), your forces will be very well-rounded.

This set is a little flawed, a little small, and a little underarmed. But I would say this is a set worth getting. The dragon is good, the wizard is good, the play features are fun, blah blah yakkity shmakkity. This set cost me about $40.00 Canadian, and that's because it was on sale. It's normally about $50.00, and if you see it, I'd say get it if you can. Maybe two or three, and build a bigger, better, EVILLER fortress of villainy. :twisted:
I build, therefore I am. If I build nothing, AM I nothing?
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

splended review
HAZA
Domino Gloria!
CornLegoCorn
Freeman

Post by CornLegoCorn »

I never got it but... now I have reason o.O
Lamenting is the opening to the world of night.
siabur
Laborer

Post by siabur »

I thought aboot buying this set for a long time. Then in July walmart was clearing out all of there lego sets so I got it for $25. I modified the drawbridge to work better. It now opens and closes. I plan on tweeking it a little and adding to my Valdek castle. I like the minifigs, could always use another knight and skellies. I agree it has it's issues, but it's okay for the price I did end up paying. :D
Genuine Draft - A Brick Comic since October 2008
[url=http://www.dreamersink.com][img]http://www.dreamersink.com/gd/image/468x60fftban.jpg[/img][/url]
Lego is my prefered drug of choice.
[url=http://www.brickcomicnetwork.com]BCN: Brick Comic Network[/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Target here in TN-USA had them clearanced for $25 last week, so now I have 6 copies of this set to ply through for parts. IMHO this set is far superior to past Evil Faction Fortresses such as The Night Lord's Castle or even Vladek's Expensive Fortress. To me the joy will be in the parts as there are many of good value; and besides, who doesn't need an army of large Dragons? :lol:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
legokilt
Bailiff

Post by legokilt »

I also had some issues with getting the bridge up and down, and the small-ness of the rooms, however I expanded it a bit and it looks great. My favorite feature is the dragon. By far, this is the best dragon that Lego has come up with. This, the black and the new green are great.
Lego helps make history fun!
Ben the lego king
Apprentice

Post by Ben the lego king »

good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one thing you forgot to meshon is that horse cover dosn't come in any other set! but good job any way
KKI is the best KKI is the best
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

Thanks for the great-detailed review, I really enjoyed this set.
Ben the lego king wrote:good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one thing you forgot to meshon is that horse cover dosn't come in any other set! but good job any way
The barding is also in 7094, King's Castle Siege.
LEGO --- Impossible is Nothing.
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

Great review of the set. I don't own it but i am seriously thinkin about buying it. :D
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlelord/]My Flickr[/url]
domboy
Freeman

Re: 7093 Skeleton Tower (My so-called review)

Post by domboy »

I just got this set, finally. I missed it when it was in stores (just recently got back into Legos)... but I'm a big fan of the skeleton faction, so I had to have this set. That, and after I got 7094 King's Castle Siege I discovered that I REALLY like the new dragons, so since I already had the one from 7094, I had to get 7048 Troll Warship and of course 7093, which I have finally accomplished... the three dragons fighting together look awesome with the Skeleton Tower behind it. I like all the dark colors, the bones and bone cage are fitting, and the molten rock/lava flow is a neat idea too. But the best part is the skull facade, which is seriously the coolest one Lego had designed yet (comparing to similar ideas in pirate theme sets)... it really looks menacing. I like that the chains for the jaw drawbridge come out the eye holes. And the way the front of the jaw splits open is horrifyingly similar the the Reaper vampires in Blade 2... yikes! :o