Should Lego update and bring back some of the old sets

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
cdljal
Gong Farmer

Should Lego update and bring back some of the old sets

Post by cdljal »

I think that Lego should bring back some of the old mid 80s and early 90s sets they can update them put the new range of figgures with them and recycle the old ideas as many of us missed those great sets.
Bear
Peasant

Post by Bear »

Well, they had the Legends line a few years back. Mabey they could revisit that. I am at the age right now where it more about peice selection in a set then the set itself.
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

I only had the Guarded Inn Legends set and regret not getting the Black Falcons Fortress, and the Blacksmith Shop, for that matter. Actually, I'd be quite happy if they re-released the Kings Castle, the Black Knights Castle, and... some of those smaller wall siege sets, then published 1-3 well-known MOCS.
wallgorn
Freeman

Post by wallgorn »

Yeah, a re-release of some of the 80s and 90s sets would be great. I managed to get Black Falcon's Fortress for LEGO Legend in 03, but none of the others.
The Crusader
Freeman

Post by The Crusader »

Nah, then we can't call them classics :P
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

I think Lego should either directly re-release some classic sets, or come up with entirely new ones with similar ideas. I don't think that I would care for Lego revamping old sets. Redoing classics is great for a MOC, but I'm not so sure about for an official set.

Cm2
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/porschecm ... onal.1.png[/img]
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!
Foamrider
Foot Soldier

Post by Foamrider »

At this point, I don't think they will. Old castle + Bley...? I don't think it would be well received, aside from maybe kids that don't care.

But hey, I would take some forestmen even if there was bley and reddish brown with them. :)
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

porschecm2 wrote:I think Lego should either directly re-release some classic sets, or come up with entirely new ones with similar ideas. I don't think that I would care for Lego revamping old sets.
I wouldn't want that either. I mean, look at what happened when they "Re-released" the Royal Knight's Castle.
At this point, I don't think they will. Old castle + Bley...? I don't think it would be well received, aside from maybe kids that don't care.
I actually don't notice the bley, until it's put next to old grey. I would still like to see 6080 hit the shelves again, bley or not.
But hey, I would take some forestmen even if there was bley and reddish brown with them.
Yes, yes, I really want more Forestmen. Actually, Elves would be nice for this new "Fantasy Era". But please Lego, don't make them Villains this time. :wink:
Aharown
Apprentice

Post by Aharown »

I don't mind re-releases, even in the new colours. I agree with the others about redoing them, though. We can always do that, or Lego can simply come out with new sets that are inspired by the old.
<><
Brickzone
Bailiff

Post by Brickzone »

I'm happy with the likes of the new cement lorry, bin lorry and upcoming 4x4 + horse box.

Town Plan was also a well executed concept, drawing on the idea of the early set but a completely modern elaborate execution.

I would be perfectly happy to see more such sets. I think it would be interesting to have some new sets that redo the style of the Paradisa and Town Leisure themes/sets.
Gomur
Apprentice

Post by Gomur »

As long as no catapults are included.

Personally, I'd like to see:

Black Monarch's Ghost

Ninjas/Samurai

A single-figure king pack or a small royalty pack (maybe a joust with
royalty)

A single-figure wizard pack or a small "wizard's tower" pack (can't get "The Good Wizard" in the US for some lame reason)
sir lockt
Villein

Post by sir lockt »

At first glance I want to fully agree with the OP and bring back some of the "old" sets, but after carefully thinking it over, I wish to disagree and would rather see NEW sets of similar quality appear.

Altough some very nice sets of the past are not part of my collection, it is also a bit of the charm of the classics: difficult to obtain, a true collectors attitude required to get them, so you only pick those you really look forward to.
natelite
Foot Soldier

Post by natelite »

none of the reissued legends sold well. they always end up sitting in the discounted bin.

you are probably asking for a reissue because you see how overpriced they are on bricklink or ebay. it's quite human to be envious when you see those inflated prices. but think of it for a minute. if you had invested the money in the bank, you would have come out ahead and can probably use that money to buy the inflated sets.

so yes, it's quite unlikely to see any new release of legends set.

if you are really into lego, look no further than the 2008 sets and beyond. 2008 is a great year for lego and 2009 is even better. i don't see why you need to focus on the classic sets when 2008 (and 2009 and beyond) sets will become classics over time.
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

they always end up sitting in the discounted bin.
And that's not a good thing? :lol: I would have loved to come across some of those on discount... wait, weren't they Shop@Home exclusive? I remember buying my Armada Flagship at Toys R Us, but I had to order the Guarded Inn...
As long as no catapults are included.
Isn't it funny how lately it seems they can't get through ONE SET without including a catapult of some sort? Once they started putting them on horses in the KK2 sets, second run, I was pretty certain TLC had completely lost it!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

natelite wrote:none of the reissued legends sold well. they always end up sitting in the discounted bin.
I do not think that this statement is completely accurate. While many Legend/Reissue sets sold poorly (Constellation, Blue Fury, Enchanted Island), others (Guarded Inn, Black Falcon's Fortress, Black Seas Barracuda) never went on sale on Shop at Home and sold out more quickly than fans wanted them to.

These sets may not be cost effective from TLG's perspective because they require many unique elements for a single set and not a whole line of sets.

Ben