10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Chuck06
Peasant

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Post by Chuck06 »

I just bought a copy this past weekend at the new Cincinnatti store (note to self: visit lego store on grand opening weekend=long wait to enter store).

Here are some comments.

Some pluses:
-awesome piece/price ratio--1600+ for $100
-great piece mix, especially the accessories (Turkey!)
-dark brown barrels
-brick built tree with lots of large leaf pieces
-comedic value in set design (brown carrots as horse poo)
-intricate design details, particularly the furniture
-great figure mix, including several new civilian torsos
-cows

minor minuses:
-blacksmith/stables lack stairs to 2nd floor
-second floor of blue building has no door, just open.
-choice fo light blue as major builidng color (just not my first preference)

The minor minuses are just that, minor. All in all, I vote this one of Lego's best castle sets.
"In destinies sad or merry,
True men can but try"
-Sir Gawain and the Green Knight 564-5
burkey42
Freeman

Post by burkey42 »

Chuck06 wrote:I just bought a copy this past weekend at the new Cincinnatti store (note to self: visit lego store on grand opening weekend=long wait to enter store).

Here are some comments.

Some pluses:
-awesome piece/price ratio--1600+ for $100
-great piece mix, especially the accessories (Turkey!)
-dark brown barrels
-brick built tree with lots of large leaf pieces
-comedic value in set design (brown carrots as horse poo)
-intricate design details, particularly the furniture
-great figure mix, including several new civilian torsos
-cows

minor minuses:
-blacksmith/stables lack stairs to 2nd floor
-second floor of blue building has no door, just open.
-choice fo light blue as major builidng color (just not my first preference)

The minor minuses are just that, minor. All in all, I vote this one of Lego's best castle sets.
Not trying to start an arguement but brick colour is a minor minus - agreed. The stairs, open door, and chimney connectivity are structurally incorrect - major minus (is a minifig going to pole vault through a window to get into bed?) I could go on about the door at the bottom of the Tavern opening the wrong way (should open against a way for maximum floor space.) I spent AUD $164 on this set to find that modifications were needed to make the houses on par with DS creations and MOCs I've seen on BS and the like.

I think I worked out why the soldiers are there - collecting taxes!
Castle Lego is my drug of choice.
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

You guys in youre nitpick nervana are i think missing the major point of this set. It is not to say that the set is perfect, nothing is. You guys could find problems with stonebarrow keep, guarded church, etc just as easilly as you can with MMV.

So if the point is not to argue the set is flawless, then what is it? The point my friends, is what you notice when yous et MMV beside any other company produced castle set. It is the Farrari next to a Ford Focus!
Domino Gloria!
burkey42
Freeman

Post by burkey42 »

timber_wolf899 wrote:You guys in youre nitpick nervana are i think missing the major point of this set. It is not to say that the set is perfect, nothing is. You guys could find problems with stonebarrow keep, guarded church, etc just as easilly as you can with MMV.

So if the point is not to argue the set is flawless, then what is it? The point my friends, is what you notice when yous et MMV beside any other company produced castle set. It is the Farrari next to a Ford Focus!
I got the main point of the set - it's a MMV. I agree, nothing is perfect and I am merely putting my thoughts across as to my perceived major shortfalls of the set. Nothing some Bricklink spending can fix. Everyone is entitled to express, via a post in a forum thread, related thought/opinion/notes on a topic. And yes, I probably would find problems or things I didn't like about any keep, church or MOC I decided I wanted to post against.
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

So many things are great about this set, any flaws are just background noise in my opinion. It's a huge non-conflict-oriented village/market castle set! With tons of detail! And peasants! And furniture! And lots of great parts! For a very reasonable price! And cows! Turkey! Fish! Brick-built birds! Did I mention peasants! :D

Everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion, but I'd say if the flaws in this set are anything more than a minor annoyance to you, you're probably looking at a long life of being disappointed by official LEGO sets. :wink:
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle . . . Reshpeckobiggle."

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_raehl/]flickr[/url]
burkey42
Freeman

Post by burkey42 »

puddleglum wrote:So many things are great about this set, any flaws are just background noise in my opinion. It's a huge non-conflict-oriented village/market castle set! With tons of detail! And peasants! And furniture! And lots of great parts! For a very reasonable price! And cows! Turkey! Fish! Brick-built birds! Did I mention peasants! :D

Everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion, but I'd say if the flaws in this set are anything more than a minor annoyance to you, you're probably looking at a long life of being disappointed by official LEGO sets. :wink:
I'm not backing down on this one (btw, I purchased two MMVs - one for show, one for go) because IMO 'the flaws' are serious oversights. My first castle set was a yellow castle in 1978. There are flaws all through that, like how do minifigs get to the towers or even the grey walkway. 30 years later, the demands for complexity should mean that TLG doesnt oversight things like the ability to reach the second floor of a building (especially when the other building in the set has external stairs.)

TLG will never provide a flawless set. That's one of many reasons why people MOC and why I'll be MOCing my MMV, Drawbridge Defence and Trolls' Mountain Fortess in 2009.

PS 'Disappointed'...............never!
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

Shut up and build.

Either improve the MMV with the additions you think it needs or build your own version from scratch.
Aculon
Freeman

Post by Aculon »

RichardAM wrote:Shut up and build.
That could be a funny sig qoute! But anyway...

The MMV is a pretty cool set. Maybe someday...

God bless you all!
-Aculon
-Aculon
"It's risky, but I get my laughs."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/37295785@N03/]~El Flickr De Aculon~[/url]
[url=http://brickblogs.stingclan.com/brickniques/index.php][img]http://stingclan.com/BrickniquesWhite.PNG[/img][/url]
burkey42
Freeman

Post by burkey42 »

RichardAM wrote:Shut up and build.

Either improve the MMV with the additions you think it needs or build your own version from scratch.
Nice adult response. Sorry for not posting to your standards. I will build, you grow up.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

Okay Gentlemen. Your bickering is threatening to lock this thread. This very important thread about a good castle set. Settle down. Stop coming close to violating TOS. Here have a quick review of it:
There is no flaming. Flaming makes for a negative atmosphere and it will not be tolerated. That means you should avoid yelling at and needlessly criticizing other members.

There is no trolling. Trying to force someone into an argument is not allowed.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2547
And of course the link to the TOS.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
burkey42
Freeman

Post by burkey42 »

Bluesecrets wrote:Okay Gentlemen. Your bickering is threatening to lock this thread. This very important thread about a good castle set. Settle down. Stop coming close to violating TOS. Here have a quick review of it:
There is no flaming. Flaming makes for a negative atmosphere and it will not be tolerated. That means you should avoid yelling at and needlessly criticizing other members.

There is no trolling. Trying to force someone into an argument is not allowed.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2547
And of course the link to the TOS.
Attitude adjustment assimilated. I enjoy CC and will refrain from poor posting techniques/style in the future.
Cheers,
B42
Coatsy
Laborer

Post by Coatsy »

I'm actually in the process of building the set. I finally (don't stone me!) got this one from the Discover Mills Lego Store the other day since real life kept me from compleating it the day I had it in my grasp!

I'll say this about the set. It reminds me of the old school sets with the large brick count. The small amount of pre fab (yes there are some pre fab pieces) is a good throw back and.... WOWZERS! the bags are not numbered like they have been for the last 5 or 6 years. That means I totally went back to little kid mode and opened all of the bags and all the pieces are in a pile. Yup I get to sift through them and no I am not seperating them by color or type. This is too much fun!

Good times!
Herb Coats

"Chimichanga!"
Nicker
Peasant

Post by Nicker »

I got this set a few months ago shortly after it came out. It's a really nice set with a refreshing change with lots of detail. Now if Lego would only come out with a detailed historically accurate castle for collectors that would be awesome! :)
Classic castle fan to the core!
My Blog http://nicksbricks.blogspot.com/

My collection http://www.brickset.com/search/?owned=1
Ceedubb of the Bulls
Serf

Post by Ceedubb of the Bulls »

Coatsy wrote:IThat means I totally went back to little kid mode and opened all of the bags and all the pieces are in a pile. Yup I get to sift through them and no I am not seperating them by color or type. This is too much fun!
Good times!
I did the same thing this weekend. So much better taking up the whole dining table with lego than the sterile numbered bags. And five hours build time on a Sunday (admittedly done at a leisurely pace), couldn't think of something better.
Wins:
the figs - all good, have already cannibalized the stubbies for a dwarf woman thou.
the detail bits - ie a turkey, barrels, apples, fishes etc
the buildings themselves

Loose:
The only part i didn't like (i look at the other posts and question why some people bother continuing....ITS PLAYING PEOPLE. Fun, not perfect) was really the waterwheel driven hammer. I don't get it, so its being rebuilt into something that i do like.

Awesome set, plenty of fun, plenty to keep you out trouble with your gf. Until she finds the $160AUD receipt. :tasty:
Never trust an elf.
dyntar
Foot Soldier

Post by dyntar »

I'd say its the best castle Lego set ever. Not the most action packed set but the knights have to have something to defend.
My favourite part of it is the minifigs especially the woman in black with the dagger.

I tried to buy a second one of these to customise but the shops have sold out.

I also opened all the bags and piled them up on a table to make this.. Took me 6 hours to put it together [ I added a kitten to the pile of lego. not recommended unless you want a real challenge :) ]