10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
RoyT
Villein

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Post by RoyT »

I brought two of these a few months ago before I went on vacation to be able to go home and build it. I built one and the second is not opened yet. I might use it for spare parts/extra pieces for future projects. The detail of this set is intense... so many small pieces.... but in the end it looks great. Im in the process of expanding it by slapping it on some grey baseplates and making an actual town out of the peices/sets. Too bad my vacation is over and need to go back to work so this is on hold.
domboy
Freeman

Post by domboy »

A couple days ago I discovered the Toys R Us is now selling the Medieval Market Village, at least through their website. I guess it's no longer a Lego exclusive... it was actually on TRU's Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale last week (unfortunately my local store didn't carry it). Maybe this is old news, but it's new news to me...
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

domboy wrote:A couple days ago I discovered the Toys R Us is now selling the Medieval Market Village, at least through their website. I guess it's no longer a Lego exclusive... it was actually on TRU's Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale last week (unfortunately my local store didn't carry it). Maybe this is old news, but it's new news to me...
It's on their Dot Com, not in the stores.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

The UK £-price is actually £68.49 :).
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Post by Blue Moon Knight »

This is such a nice set. But it takes soooo long to build! I hope I never have to again... :twitch:
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
Jevil
Serf

Post by Jevil »

Blue Moon Knight wrote:This is such a nice set. But it takes soooo long to build! I hope I never have to again... :twitch:
Aww, C'mon!

Half the fun of Big sets like this *IS* Building them!

Well; Thre quarters of it, if you count building and rebuilding it into a MOC...

Wait, I want to rethingk my answer. But my point is building it is part of the poiont of it.
"Yeah??? Well I'm an ILLUSTRIOUS Gong Farmer!!!"
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Post by Blue Moon Knight »

Jevil wrote:
Blue Moon Knight wrote:This is such a nice set. But it takes soooo long to build! I hope I never have to again... :twitch:
Aww, C'mon!

Half the fun of Big sets like this *IS* Building them!

Well; Thre quarters of it, if you count building and rebuilding it into a MOC...

Wait, I want to rethingk my answer. But my point is building it is part of the poiont of it.
Except the parts weren't parted out, so I would spend like 10 mins. looking for one part...
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
Handar
Archer

Post by Handar »

Blue Moon Knight wrote: Except the parts weren't parted out, so I would spend like 10 mins. looking for one part...
For me, although obviously not for you, this was my favourite part. I remember growing up and building sets; there were no number bags. To recreate that experience, I ripped open all the bags from the Medieval Market Village and dumped them all together into one giant pile. Doing this means that searching for that one elusive brick becomes part of a ritual. I love it. :)
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

You could have just spent the time sorting the pieces. Some people actually like doing that, it relaxes them. Personally, I rather liked having to look for them. I like having a longer set building experience. I built two MMV's and enjoyed every single second of both. And I'm not going to whine that the bags weren't numbered because I normally don't follow the numbered bags anyway. Its all about the building experience and the fun.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Laird Cashman
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by Laird Cashman »

Yeah, I agree with Bluesecrets and Handar. I didn't even realize the backs had numbers on them until about a year ago, and I still don't use them. Piles are more fun.- Logout [ Laird Cashman ]
I am an alien, here to eat you all, regurgitate you, gingerly poke your remains, and then devour them. FUN, RIGHT?!
Papy.G
Laborer

Post by Papy.G »

Coatsy wrote:I totally went back to little kid mode and opened all of the bags and all the pieces are in a pile. Yup I get to sift through them and no I am not seperating them by color or type. This is too much fun!
Good times!
I'll have to dig out my lego mat to build it up.
Ceedubb of the Bulls wrote:Awesome set, plenty of fun, plenty to keep you out trouble with your gf. Until she finds the $160AUD receipt. :tasty:
gormadoc1 wrote:The UK £-price is actually £68.49 :).
My dear got me one for 79€, and no extra shipping, the internet site where she ordered it prepares its orders close to her parents'. :D
They don't have interesting regular prices, but some specials can be worth as the Taj Mahal at 269€ or the big boat 10210 for 129€.
I was argueing with her, seeing such a low price, (~30€ less than S@H including shipping!) to be allowed to buy at least one, but she was always saying no. Guessing that I would end up buying one or more against her advice, she told me she had already bought one for my birthday/christmas and it was supposed to be a surprise.
I'm like a kid, it's the bigger set I have ever had, can't help myself, 1600 parts, imagine, my whole lego "collection" is hardly 5000 parts.

But I don't understand and still wonder why TLC molded dark brown barrels and no round 2x2 plates to match the color.For the mods, I'll see what will be needed, I have some loose doors, for the stairs, I'll have to S@H, anyway I need some other parts.

It seem so cool with those details, animals, and civilians, I think I couldn't have dreamed better year end. With the Kingdoms' advent calendar, 2010 will be my best lego Year/Christmas. And probably the last christmas we would be able to get the MMV.
In the meantime, I'll had to seek for a new display too.
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
sleepysentry
Gong Farmer

Post by sleepysentry »

I'm getting my son the Medieval Market Village for Christmas. I wish they had this when I was a kid! I'm afraid I might end up playing with it more than him... Does anyone have advice on good Lego Castle sets to pair with this one?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

My suggestion for current sets would be the 7946 King's Castle http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... n=640&d=70

Buying another copy of the MMV is a good idea. The set will become very expensive once it sells out. It includes great pieces for building other tudor style buildings.

Ben
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

sleepysentry wrote:I'm getting my son the Medieval Market Village for Christmas. I wish they had this when I was a kid! I'm afraid I might end up playing with it more than him... Does anyone have advice on good Lego Castle sets to pair with this one?
You're in for a treat! It's a long build with lots of pieces and interesting details. Plus it includes a nice assortment of people, accessories, and animals. It's the perfect set for adding some non-military life to your medieval world. I agree with Ben about buying more than one. Civilian castle sets have been extremely uncommon since 1986, and a second MMV would make it easy to get started on some custom houses/shops.

Regarding the current Kingdoms line, I would also suggest 7946 King's Castle. It's out of scale with the buildings in the MMV, but it's still pretty big and has a lot of going on. Stable, jail, armory, throne room, treasury, gatehouse with working portcullis and drawbridge, lots of towers, walls, and soldiers. The walls and towers all disconnect from each other so you can re-arrange the castle in different ways too.

With the exception of perhaps 7947 Prison Tower Rescue, the rest of the Kingdoms sets are nice add-ons but don't feel very satisfying on their own.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

The Kingdoms Prisoner Cart, Jester and Wizard Impulse sets are also full of win. :mrgreen:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-