Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby Kevin1990 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Aliencat wrote:
Kevin1990 wrote:I still wonder why they put brown cows in the medieval set and spotted cows in the new farm sets
Personly I like the spotted ones beter

yeah I have no idea why they would put brown ones, if they knew that you prefer the spotted ones.


well Personly I've never seen a brown cow have you?
I dont dislike them I think they are pretty cool I have 4 :D
but I dont know spotted is more commen or am I wrong>
all the farms I've seen here (in holland) all of them are spotted ?
User avatar
Kevin1990
Grounded
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:25 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby Aliencat » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:34 pm

Kevin1990 wrote:well Personly I've never seen a brown cow have you?


Yes. We even have them right here in Holland ;)

Still, discussion of real cow colours aside, I don't see much point in asking why Lego would put a certain coloured animal when you prefer another coloured one. The set designers of 10193 probably preferred the brown cows, or maybe they wanted to add some different cows to the ones in the city farms.

Also, the "Friese Koeien", or Friesians as most foreigners call them (except for Americans, they call them Holsteins for unknown reasons) are from origin a tipically Dutch breed of cow (again, see the Wikipedia link). Brown cows were probably more common elsewhere, I'm no expert on the bovine occupations of Earth ;)
Either way, Lego put brown cows in 10193.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build MOCs

Image
User avatar
Aliencat
Josh's Minion
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: Malé, Maldives

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby Athos » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:30 pm

Kevin1990 wrote:well Personly I've never seen a brown cow have you?


Where do you think they get chocolate milk from? :P

Steve
User avatar
Athos
Councilor of the Realm
 
Posts: 4148
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:33 am
Location: Nevada

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby Kevin1990 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:54 pm

O hey I didn't know you came from holland
sorry I'll stay on topic

no but aside from the brown cow I think its a very nice set, and I reall hope they bring something out like this but then more buildings more kinds.
this is a great set for everybody who is wondering!

mmmmm chocolet melk
Image
User avatar
Kevin1990
Grounded
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:25 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby Blue Moon Knight » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:22 pm

Aliencat wrote:Still, discussion of real cow colours aside, I don't see much point in asking why Lego would put a certain coloured animal when you prefer another coloured one. The set designers of 10193 probably preferred the brown cows, or maybe they wanted to add some different cows to the ones in the city farms.


Well, I don't think he was asking why Lego would put in a colored animal over one of a color he preferred. The fact that he likes the spotted ones better was, from what I can tell, a seperate statement; but the lack of punctuation made it difficult to tell I suppose.

I wasn't too sure about the cows at first, I thought the Brickforge cows were much better, but I gotta say, these have grown on me.
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
User avatar
Blue Moon Knight
Archer
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:12 pm
Location: I'm over here now!

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby Lord Insanity » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:14 am

Aliencat wrote:Also, the "Friese Koeien", or Friesians as most foreigners call them (except for Americans, they call them Holsteins for unknown reasons) are from origin a tipically Dutch breed of cow (again, see the Wikipedia link). Brown cows were probably more common elsewhere, I'm no expert on the bovine occupations of Earth ;)
Either way, Lego put brown cows in 10193.


The Friesian/Holstein Cows are a more modern breed which is why they are in the modern farm set. The brown cows are more representative of medieval cow breeds which is why they are in the MMV. This is just speculation on my part but I prefer to think that the sets are just that much more realistic on purpose. I mean the fact that Lego saw fit to put two cows in the MMV at all, is just plain awesome.
"A little nonsense now and then relished by the wisest men" - The real Willy Wonka
User avatar
Lord Insanity
Villein
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:12 am

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby burkey42 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:32 am

I'm not a fan of the cows TLG put in the MMV; just don't like the look of them (a steer with an udder - wholy megablocks!)

Other things I found annoying in the MMV:
- gold trim on the tavern. Out of place as part of any colour scheme excepting royal related.
- there is no door to close the room atop the tavern
- there are no stairs to the top level of the blacksmith's house
- there is no chimney for the blacksmith's furnace
- bottom area of farrier house has no door, all open
- the chimneys and furnaces dont link in or look as good as those on Dan Siskind's Blacksmith Shop http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=3739-1 .

Some of of the above are personal taste but I think some are genuine faults(e.g. lack of stairs).
Castle Lego is my drug of choice.
User avatar
burkey42
Freeman
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby Kevin1990 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:26 am

well you know the more detail lego will put into there kits the expensiver the kits will be
I think this was a fine price for the 2 buildings with every minifig included. I do have to agree on the gold trimming, and some of the color use but for a lego kit I Think this was one of the best one they released so far.
and the new troll gate of castle or what ever its called.

O yes dan blacksmith is great I own it :D I also have dan tavern :D these are a bit beter because the detail is great and everything falls into place but also they use old school color wich I am a fan on unlike the new set wich they use redish brown light bluish gray dark bluish gray wich I am totaly not a fan of. I was maybe thinking to recreate the set in other colors
User avatar
Kevin1990
Grounded
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:25 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby burkey42 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:38 am

Kevin1990 wrote:well you know the more detail lego will put into there kits the expensiver the kits will be
I think this was a fine price for the 2 buildings with every minifig included. I do have to agree on the gold trimming, and some of the color use but for a lego kit I Think this was one of the best one they released so far.
and the new troll gate of castle or what ever its called.

O yes dan blacksmith is great I own it :D I also have dan tavern :D these are a bit beter because the detail is great and everything falls into place but also they use old school color wich I am a fan on unlike the new set wich they use redish brown light bluish gray dark bluish gray wich I am totaly not a fan of. I was maybe thinking to recreate the set in other colors


One could argue 'what are the soldiers doing there?' Drop the soldiers and their chest of coins - replace with set of stairs and door assembly. I've already 'fixed' some of the issues had with the set. MOC it I say! (BTW I agree on it being the best set they've released so far.)
Castle Lego is my drug of choice.
User avatar
burkey42
Freeman
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby JoshWedin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:01 am

Hey Burkey!

burkey42 wrote:a steer with an udder - wholy megablocks!


You lost me with this one, my friend. How's it a steer?

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

Image The Brothers Brick
User avatar
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre
Chevalier de Chèvre
 
Posts: 5642
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:35 pm
Location: Pondering what you are pondering

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby burkey42 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:49 am

JoshWedin wrote:Hey Burkey!

burkey42 wrote:a steer with an udder - wholy megablocks!


You lost me with this one, my friend. How's it a steer?

Josh


Hey Josh,
With the TLG cow, the udder is permanent whilst the horns are removable. Hence 'a steer with an udder.'
Cheers,
B42
Castle Lego is my drug of choice.
User avatar
burkey42
Freeman
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby JoshWedin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:44 am

burkey42 wrote:Hey Josh,
With the TLG cow, the udder is permanent whilst the horns are removable. Hence 'a steer with an udder.'
Cheers,
B42


Okay, I see. Around here a lot of cattle breeds have horns on both genders, so I've not really thought that this was strange. I can see how that would throw a wrench in the works though. :D

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

Image The Brothers Brick
User avatar
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre
Chevalier de Chèvre
 
Posts: 5642
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:35 pm
Location: Pondering what you are pondering

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby Heir of Black Falcon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:17 am

It’s an udder-disaster! :lol:

Female cows here usually get their horns cut so you do not see them unless you look close. Those that don’t get cut usually seem to have short horns as well though. Everywhere I have lived (both north and south America and Europe) you can find both sexes of cows with horns from what I remember. The udders are the issue to me... Hopefully Lego does not go any further than perhaps removable udders or udder-less cows in determining their sex.

(Not a cow expert just been around farms a little)

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
User avatar
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar
 
Posts: 1967
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: Utah (I'm baaaack)

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby Kevin1990 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:44 am

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:It’s an udder-disaster! :lol:

Female cows here usually get their horns cut so you do not see them unless you look close. Those that don’t get cut usually seem to have short horns as well though. Everywhere I have lived (both north and south America and Europe) you can find both sexes of cows with horns from what I remember. The udders are the issue to me... Hopefully Lego does not go any further than perhaps removable udders or udder-less cows in determining their sex.

(Not a cow expert just been around farms a little)

Heir


I believe (I am not 100% sure) but I think the udders of the brickforge cows do come off, but again not sure)
but I dont think TLG will make a bull, because they already have a cow
User avatar
Kevin1990
Grounded
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:25 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Postby burkey42 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:59 am

You are correct Kevin1990. I'm buying the majority of my menagerie from BrickForge. TLG's efforts in MMV just doesn't cut the mustard.
Castle Lego is my drug of choice.
User avatar
burkey42
Freeman
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PreviousNext

Return to LEGO Castle Sets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: medib and 2 guests